Microdermabrasion Does Not Work for Thicker, Oilier Skin Types

I have been getting *series* of microdermabrasion...

I have been getting *series* of microdermabrasion over the years. First at a dermatologists office and then at aesthetician's office. The different between going to an MD and a 'beauty clinic' is merely the machines that can be used. I feel the nurse who did the first two microdermabrasion sessions was not as informed or skilled as the aesthetician. I have never had microdermabrasion performed for more than 20 minutes. I have seen them advertised as taking longer for the whole face so either I have gotten ripped off or else "45-60 minute" microdermabrasion sessions involve a facial or other added fluff.

Microdermabrasion never made a temporary and definitely not a longer term improvement in my skin. I have at least seen improvement after chemical peels, but *never* with microdermabrasion.

I have oily, acne prone, *thick* skin. I have had aestheticians tell me this and the one who performed the microderm said that the top layer of my skin is a millimiter or more thicker than normal so it would take more and more frequent sessions with microderm to make a dent.

For the cost, I have figured that microderm is a waste of time. I have had a series done of 4-6 every week twice a few years apart. Each time, the result was almost non-existent.

Microdermabrasion is physical exfoliation. I have figured out that for me *chemical* exfoliation is the best way for me to go and I have had at least one other aesthetian agree with me. Also, for me pain, discomfort, and "down time" are NOT concerns, especially since any legitimate skin procedure is a significant expense.

I would MUCH rather do a series of peels for a similar amount of money as microdermabrasion.

PS If you really do want to go for physical exfoliation, I'd recommend *dermabrasion* for results. A single microdermabrasion is *nothing* compared to the real thing. In old school days (the 70s?) the doctor would basically brush your skin with still wool and abrade the heck out of it.

I am an esthetician and I have been micorderm treatments for a long time and from what I read i agree you should have done some chemical peels. What you could have done is a medium chemical peel and then for maintenance and more results do the microderm. you should have been perscribed what was best for your skin and normallk estheticians would be able to tell you what would be more result oriented then a nurse. also, whatever you were doing at home may have caused slower results. Preventing sun damage and all that.