Me and my Friend Invisalign - Wellington, New Zealand

Hey everyone, I am Rosie (19 years old) from...

Hey everyone,

I am Rosie (19 years old) from New Zealand - I have been a long time loiterer of this site but have never actually posted anything - and today being a day where I am at my best when it comes to procrastinating...thought this is the perfect opportunity to write a post while I'm meant to be doing work.

After being self conscious while talking to people and not smiling in photos most of my life I decided to do something about it and dive into the world of orthodontics...the first ortho I found was the one I stayed with and who I wouldnt change for the world! The whole process is costing me $8300 - but keep in mind this is NZ dollars so I think that's about $5600ish American.

I have had Invisaligns now for almost a year! I am up to tray 23 with 12 attachments - My bottom teeth are finished (finished at tray 22) and my top teeth have another 11 trays to go (as of yet).

My treatment is going PERFECTLY my bottom teeth are amazing...I honestly have no complaints what-so-ever...I understand that people do have serious issues with them but I do tend to get almost 'protective' or Invisalign and when I see people posting negative things about them I get slightly taken aback.

My treatment consists of widening my bottom and top arches, uncrowding and an overbite (which has been treated with 2 extractions).

It was planned that mid-way into my treatment I would get two extractions in my upper arch so that my teeth would line up with eachother - I got this done last week and in turn will receive a whole new series of aligners (not too sure how many yet but I am guessing around 30 more...I asked for it though!)...so I am currently living on a diet of mush...tasty mush mind you.

I whiten my bottom teeth in the trays (because the buttons have been taken off and it works amazingly!).

I had done so much research prior to getting Invisaligns that I think I have really great knowledge for anyone who is need answers for ANYTHING...you know where to find me.

I can't really be bothered writing anymore and I'm hungry so that is me for today.

Please see the photo I attached - here is brief description:
Rosie's top teeth (from left to right) - beginning of Treatment Sept '08 - Middle of treatment Feb '09 - and July '09.

Enjoy!

Darnell Rose - Courtenay Orthodontics (Wellington)

He is knowledgeable, friendly, honest and great at explaining and discussing options.

im in upper hutt wgtn i;m getting invisalign i went through clincheck and should get my first set of aligners in a few weeks
Hi, do u have any friend who r doing Invisalign in Aucland?~Wanna try Invisalign n really need more info. Cheers
Hi rosie.....just out of curiousity how long did it take for u to get ur trays to start your treatment after everything is done and approved.
Hi Rosie, I was wondering if you have any before and after photos you can share? I am about to begin my invisalign treatment and I also have had two extractions on top. I would love to see your progress as I have a severe overjet. Thanks!!
Hi Sherry, As I haven't finished treatment yet I don't have before and after photos - but the the photos above show the progress that I have made so far. Goodluck with your treatment :)
Hi Rosie....I just received my invisalign today!! 35 upper and lower, I just had a question as you mentioned having teeth extracted. I had my two upper pre molars taken out but I was wondering if you are finding that the spots where there is no tooth (mine has a fake empty tooth in those spots on my aligner)is filling with saliva? (gross I know!) I'm just wondering if this will become an issue from tray to tray? Thanks Again =]
Hey Rosie, im from Canada and am just wondering how you whitened your teeth in the trays? And also where you got it from? Thanks :).

Hey Rosie, I'm from Wellington as well. What Ortho did you go to? Because I really want to get Invisalign. Could you possibly email me? Would be much appreciated :)

Hi Paul, Thanks for your feedback! Have you written a review? Oh I suppose you're only on tray 3 so that's not much time to base an opinion on...how is your treatment going so far? I would love to see photos to see how similar your teeth are to mine! Also - how many trays do you have? I didn't notice a huge difference until tray 14 when one morning I woke up and realised my teeth were almost all facing forward...what a good feeling haha! I love my teeth now to tell you the truth...even though they still have a long way to go...I only hope that it will be the same for you. :D
Hi Rosie I haven't written a review yet, but so far I have been very happy with the treatment in that it is much less painful and inconvenient than I thought it would be. My main (in fact, only)concern now is - is it going to work? My orthodonist certainly thinks it will and I feel confident he'll be able to make any necessary adjustments if things don't go to plan. The plan for me is for at least 18 months (that's 38 trays for the upper teeth). Seems like a lot, but the first (long) stage is simply moving my back teeth to make room for the crowded front teeth. I have been warned not to expect any noticable changes to the front teeth for as much as a year, so I am just getting on with my life without expecting a miracle to have happened every time I look in the mirror. I would also say that the inconvenience is offset by the satisfaction of knowing that I am finally DOING something about my teeth after being unhappy with them for years. Every time I am forced to look at my teeth in the mirror, I feel differently about them than I did before the treatment, even though they still look the same. Something struck me last night. Where I work, we are constantly working on and launching new projects, most of which take at least 2 years to complete. In a work context, 2 years is nothing and we are constantly having to speed up to keep things on schedule. One particular project will launch in early 2011 and I am worried we won't get everything done in time. Meanwhile, this about the time I will (hopefully) be close to finishing my Invisalign treatment. However, in the context of my teeth, I have been thinking early 2011 is light years away; whereas in the context of work, it's just round the corner. It's such a bizarre discrepancy in the perception of time that I actually thought I'd make a mistake and that my Invisalign treatment must be finishing in 2012. But, no, it's early 2011. I now think of my treatment in terms of a work project's schedule, and it feels like it will be over in no time. Pure psychology! I don't have photos of my teeth, but I'll request them when I consult my orthodontist next month. Thanks for your reply! Paul
Hi Rosie. Just wanted to thank you for your comments. What struck me most about your post was how similar our crowding problem was (or still is, in my case), with those front four teeth alternately pushing forward and back. I am only on tray 3, so there's no visible movement yet, but your photos give me much hope! I am finding the inconvenience of the trays far less than I thought I would - it's just a matter of having to think more about when/what I eat, and all the follow-up cleaning. In fact, my oral hygiene has improved dramatically. Not one person has said anything to me about the trays in the past 5 weeks, so I have decided to see if I can make it to my first visit back to the orthodontist (in week 10) without anyone having noticed! Like you, I am surprised by some of the negative comments here - ok, it's early days and I might not get the results I want - but I don't relate to all the talk of the pain and inconvenience. I have had nothing I would describe as 'pain', just a feeling of tightness at the start of each tray. I'd say my life was 95% the same as before, with that 5% representing the time spent organizing my eating and cleaning up afterwards!
Hi Paul - thanks for your comment! I will reply in the post underneath this so everyone can easily see. :)
did you have really bad lisps?
Hey....nope no lisps...some people so but I think it just depends on the person really!

Hey there Rosie!! Man your a legend, I'm from Wellington too and I REALLY wanted to find someone who has been through/is going through Invisalign from my area! Who's your ortho? Could you maybe please contact me on ol************@ hotmail .com so I can ask you some questions etc? Thanks so much! xx

Aahaha thanks - I just emailed you :)
Hey Angie thanks for your reply, I too have finished my bottoms (which are perfect) - but was instructed to just wear my them at nights until my tops were finished so I can get a retainer..keeping in mind this will be like a year away!!! I have had the bottoms for a month now so know what you mean by finding it gross (I dont want to think about what it would be like in a years time eww!!!) I usually soak my bottom trays in polident during the day and then at night they are as fresh as a daisy lol...can't wait till it's all over...even though I really don't mind having them. And don't say sorry about the extractions haha - I literally asked for them because my ortho was going to go about moving my jaw a different way. The good think about it is that I now hate having my aligners off - so that is good for the compliance side of things haha :)
Interesting that you only have to wear the bottoms at NIGHT until tops are done. I have to wear mine 24/7 on bottom too. Dr said that the bottoms are the ones that move the most easily back to where they were (maybe that is only my case..). I am going to get a mold next month for a permanent retainer behind my bottom teeth so I don't have to wear bottoms at night when this is ALL over. It is called a Lingual Bar. Then I will order an Invisalign Retainer for the top to wear every night. It is basically your last top tray, but made from a stronger material.
Great post Rosie. I am almost through my two year Invisalign process. I have 2 months to go - only the top is left (bottoms are done but must wear trays on bottom until top is done). I find it gross to wear these bottom trays this long - since I was used to having a "fresh" tray every two weeks! But I am using denture soak every week and it is OK so far. Sorry you had to have extractions. I did not, but sure thought I would have to in the beginning.