Not Sure It's Worth the Pain?!

I had my first photofacial treatment this morning...

I had my first photofacial treatment this morning at a susrgicare center after getting a recommendation for the procedure from my mother who went through 3 sessions 2 years ago.
I have red hair, brown eyes and LOTS of freckles. I have a had a lot of sun exposure throughout my 29 years and started noticing clusters of freckles and sunspots forming, along with some fine lines- mostly around my eyes. I was/still am hoping that 3 sessions will lesson the clusters of freckles and improve my overall skin tone.

HOWEVER, after only a few minutes into the procedure, I was in tears. It was one of the most painful experiences and nothing like what was described. I did not allow her to finish my nose and chin, which were the last areas to be treated. I had planned to return to work after but could not as my face was extremely red and my freckles very dark brown. A few hours later, the redness went down. The doctor told me that next time I came in that she would give me an anestetic cream to help with the pain, but I am VERY nervous to go back! I want to know if anyone else has had this reaction to the treatment????