Lumps Intensified by Compression Garment After Tummy Lipo

I am a petite, fairly thin (by American standards)...

I am a petite, fairly thin (by American standards) Asian woman in my late 20's. While my physique is athletic, I lack the curvature of a female; in fact i tend to hold most of my fat in my 'flanks.' Therefore, I decided to undergo liposuction on May 29th around my waist to give it some curves...let's be honest, I am/was (?) built like a boy. I was told just short of 500cc's were taken out. The procedure was rather easy– I was about and walking in less than 2 days and discomfort is minimal, EXCEPT the compression garment.

I am wondering just how important the elastic compression garment is? It's been just under a week, and the bands seem to be creating lumps where the bandage is not taught. I am trying to minimize sitting or bending over, but the garment is about 12" in height: ribs to hips And so I am wondering if the lumps are going to affect the outcome; and if there's a way to minimize this.

he told me what was not necessary (thighs lipo) and was very honest about expected results.

The (so called) doctor who performed my under bra flab and waistline liposuction had me buy 2 diver "wet suits" - what you wear for scuba diving - to use as compression garments. This seemed very odd to me but I did it. The outcome was a total nightmare (hard ridges and lumps left on my body after several weeks in compression garments) which required a 2nd surgery to "correct". The 2nd procedure resulted in a 19 inch, crooked scar from one hipbone to the other (a complete tummy tuck). It pulled out some of the damage but not all of it. I have one big bulge on my right lower abdomen which has never gone away and the scar still looks horrible after some years.
Wow, you call that a compression garment? Doesn't look professional to me! Mine is like this > http://www.compressiongarments.com/lgs-sz.html
I had stomach lipo several years ago, and I probably would have been much happier if not for the impact the compression garment made. I did not know before I had lipo that the creases in the compression garment, which looked just like yours in your photo, would cause PERMANENT creases in my tummy. I don't think everyone evens out in the end as one person stated. My crease is still there 3 years later. That said, I was happy with lipo and only wish I had taken off the garment or found a smoother one to wear. My doctor did have me where foam under it, which I guess was to minimize the crease issue.
It is too bad that you have issues from your garment. I know my doctor really made a point to tell me to make sure I had NO wrinkles in my garment. I purchased a separate garment on my own on line so I would have a spare during washings and I actually liked it much better and once I was able to get in and out of it on my own I mostly stayed with the one I bought vs. the one from my doc post op. The post op garments are designed to be able to get in and out of easily during the early stages of healing/ bruising etc. There is NO way I could have gotten in and out of the one I purchased on line for the first few weeks post op. But the one I bought had pretty smooth seams and was much more comfy. I am totally out of the garments now. Surgery was April 29, 2009
I was told not to wear a garment either and that everyone evens out the same in the end..The wore the medical garment for the first four days and then saw a lot of denting from it..I do feel more comfortable without it but I am willing to wear one if I really am supposed to. Why would my doctor tell me otherwise..I'm sorry but I value peoples experiences more..Is it too late to start wearing a garment again? I wore it 4 days after lipo and now its been 4 days without..Im so confused..
I say put it back on. Keep it wrinkle free. I am 12 weeks post op and am still wearing mine, although I do take it off to wear shorts, go to the pool for the day or to the lake. I have started not wearing it when I work out too, but for the most part, I wear it mot of the time. The denting is not going to come from the garment, denting will come from taking too much fat from an area. Personally I recommend wearing the garment.
If ur happy to wear your garment do so, I hate mine and I see a huge difference without it. ALso I am more comfortable. Maybe I have a garment that is not right for me, although it was made in the USA for this procedure? I hate it and wont ware it. I hope your garment and you are doing great, I'm post op 3 days and already see a huge difference, but this is my second attempt, on one area! First was in April and No results on one area.
My garment is also annoying me. I have worn it for 2 whole days now and tonight I'm taking it off for good. I did a google search and read that the garment was just to make you feel more intact. Goodbye garment!

Big mistake. Guess you will be posting comments on how your procedure did not turn out as you expected when you have all kinds of problems because you were to weak to wear an article of clothing for a few weeks. Give me a break, it is not that bad. I have worn mine for over 7 weeks now. I take it off to shower and to wash it and it goes right back on. I spent too much money to not follow proper directions. You should read the following article, in my search as to "why wear a garment after surgery," this is the first thing that came up, not the bogus statement you posted about "feeling more intact." The garment is to help control swelling and to shape the areas.

Edited by Sharon: Copy of an article was removed from this posting. For copyright reasons, we cannot reproduce articles in full.
chert, are you a registered on this site or just a guest because I cannot click on your name to send you a PM? Just google Bella Jane for the garment. I really like it. But tomorrow is supposed to be 90 degrees, I might not like it so much then. :)
Ann in indy could you please email me the site where you purchased your garment. thanks
I sent you an e-mail as I don't think the moderators want posters recommending sites. Good luck, you look great.
Thanks so much for the input! The doctor gave this to me– it was even re-sewn smaller. I specifically sought him as he is renowned for working on models and dancers who don't have much fat (as I am fairly thin) and so I'm inclined to think he knows best, but I must honestly say Im a bit worried. I've heard spanx are not firm enough, while the thicker elastic tends to pucker. Ann in indy– what site did you buy your garment from? -concerned but happy!
I think you have a crappy garment. I had abs and thighs done, but my garment covers from just under my ribs to below my knees. One thing my doctor reiterated in my follow0up day after surgery was to not let there be wrinkles in my garment. I bought a spare garment on line and that is what I wear most of the time now. At the very least go to Target and get a spanx that covers you from under your ribs to thighs. Massage often and drink lots of fluids to help get rid of the lumps and if you still need help, go to your chiropractor and get some ultrasound. Good luck.
did your doctor gave you this garment? or is this something you bought yourself?