Gortex Lip Implants Do Not Look or Feel Natural

Over 10 years ago I had a procedure I now regret....

Over 10 years ago I had a procedure I now regret. New at the time but no longer used, gortex strip implants for lip augmentation. I was told they would be soft kissable and not noticeable to myself or others (as in kissing or eating) but that’s not true. Since then they have formed very hard, unnatural capsules consisting of the gortex and scar tissue, and you can see the corners of the strips poking out.

Other people have commented on the visibility of them. I’m told by drs to go back to the original dr but he lives in another city so I wanted to know my options at least as far as my rights. By the way he did my rhino and I’m happy/would go back to him, just not for this.

Hi there, I also had the gortex lip implant in my upper lip 11 years ago.My scar tissue was massive in my lip. The implant is more towards the middle of my lip instead of the lip line. I took an all natural product to help dissolve some of the scar tissue but some of it still remains.I was hoping If I dissolved some of the scar tissue that it would look better and I could smile fully again. It did work some what but not like I expected. I still can't smile fully and to make matters worse. The skin above my lip, under my nose has stretched out over the years from trying t o smile. It had to over compensate for my lip not being able t o smile. It has gotten longer and wider and If It gets any worse I'll look deformed. I'm so full of regret, wish I could go back too.My fear is that it'll keep getting worse and worse over time and I'll look hideous cause it is still changing till this day. If I have it removed will cutting into my lip again t o retreive it create more scar tissue creating more retraction or will It look sunken in or rolled under? I think the remaining scar tissue if any will prevent this but I'm not sure. Can anyone help? Anyone had theirs removed with bad results?
I have had several cosmetic procedures over the years, but the only one I regret is my lip implants. My lips were/are very small, and the doctor made an incision around my nose in order to "lift" my lips which changed the appearance of my nose which I liked very, very much. I told him I liked my nose and wanted assurance this procedure would not change my nose. He said no, and that is not true. Plus, what lips I now have are ugly, and my smile is awful. I did a lot of research before the procedure in 2005, and I felt comfortable with what I read and what the doctor told me. Now, I want them removed, but I have been told that my nose will remain the same, and that the area around my mouth will probably look worse than it now does. Oh, well. If only I could go back. I may not have had lips, but I had a great smile.

I have kind of the same problem but with the mouth now instead of the nose. Contact me s o we can chat if you want.

Dear Ccscissors, Hindsight is always 20/20. Goretex has been around for many years. Some of the best man-made vascular conduits for reconstructing the aorta and major arteries in bypass surgery were made from this material. When it became available for facial reconstruction and cosmetic surgery, many of us used it based on good science. But - time makes liers of many. As time passed, this material has slowly shown itself not to be as well tolerated by the body as we thought and we most of us stopped using it.The problem I have is with doctors who fail to know the history and persist on using outdated technology. The most challenging location for implant placement has been the lip. The requirements for lip augmentation are that the implant be essentially undetectable, impalpable and pliable / soft. NO implant has EVER filled this role and this holds in spades for implants which the body never incorporated but instead walled off with scar tissue. The vast majority of Goretex (PTFE) implant placed in the lip look artificial, are palpable and had to be removed for these reasons as well as complications such as capsule and infection. The ONLY positive attribute with Goretex lip implants is that the body cannot really invade them with scar tissue and assimilate them. This makes them VERY EASY to pull out. Any plastic surgeon can do it. I suspect no one wanted to do it for fear that they will be then held responsible for any lip deformity you MAY HAVE which may be unveiled once the Goretex implant is removed. This is a potential consideration NOT a definite fact. Hope this helped. Dr. Peter Aldea
I also had Gortex put in my lips about 15 years ago and am unhappy with it. Is it really as easy as making a slit and pulling it out? I would presume there would be a healing period before I could have a filler put in, how much time would you reccommend. Thanks!
Dear Dr. Aldea, Thanks for the info. Since this post I have had almost all of the strips removed. They are not easy to see and there are a couple still there. (Still this is progress). What I am disturbed about however, is the scar tissue which was not, for whatever reason, removed by the Dr. and the scar tissue is as hard and lumpy as the gortex! In addition to feeling tight and uncomfortable. What do I do about the remaining scar tissue? Should I see if another Dr. can remove it surgically or would steroid injections work or be a bad idea?
Dr Aldea, I have retraction from the gortex implant i received 12 years ago and can't smile as much with my upper lip. If I have it removed, won't the capsule make my upper lip react in the same way? I just want to smile fully again. The skin above my lip has lengthened and widened now to overcompensate for my upper lip not being able to spread out much while smiling. What can I expect if it's removed? Also made the corners of my mouth turn down so now i need a mid or lower faeclift.

Thanks a bunch for posting your review.

I've heard of Gortex nasal implants being removed. Curious to see if the same holds true for lips.