Negative Results After Pixel CO2 Resurfacing

I am 2 weeks post Pixel CO2 laser resurfacing. I...

I am 2 weeks post Pixel CO2 laser resurfacing. I had originally researched active fx for some acne scarring on my upper cheeks and chin and to improve texture and some enlarged pores.

A well known dermatologist and family friend had the Pixel CO2 said that it was similar to the other fractional CO2 lasers and that it was very good for acne scars. I specifically asked if anyone had ever had a negative outcome and if there was anyway that I could look worse after this treatment - I was given an overwhelming no.

2 weeks post I still have the marks/grid pattern on my skin giving it a very uneven texture - is this normal, she did not warn me of this. If it persists is there any other treatment that can make them go away? ALso I now have new indentations in my skin ranging from extremely shallow enlarged pore type things to a complete rolling look along my left cheek. I had not had concerns for the part of my cheek that now has the bad rolling appearance.

It would be one thing if a) i looked exactly the same or b) the depressions that were already there appeared deeper but to have a whole new load of problems that LITERALLY have changed the look and texture of my skin/face is too much for me to bear. Is it possible that as collagen rebuilds this look could subside?

Now to my other important questions: Has anyone had success correcting a bad laser job with another laser job (for example if I had active or deep fx with another "better" derm)? Would my skin texture be easier to correct because it wasn't actually from acne scars?

I have written to the derm who did this multiple times detailing my concerns. Each time she has written back it is OK, it will heal beautifully, and that there is no way that it could look worse than before. I have a follow-up with her next week and am looking for advice on how to approach the situation. As of now I am way too self-conscious to see anyone and cant imagine living my life looking this way. To get me through prior to possibly getting another treatment in a few months could a filler help with the rolling look and increased depressions? How do I discuss the fact that there are negative results without offending the derm so she actually wants to help me? If she actually admits that it looks worse should I expect my money back or no - i am unsure what the protocol for this is.

Thank you for your time.

hi, anyone had fractional co2 for acne scars and have not seen any improvements till 4 weeks?
It destroyed me, too. Originally meant to lessen a couple shallow acne scars, now my face is covered with scars I didn't even know I had, and a large areas with enlarged pores. I'm afraid I won't be able to get a job, and I am consistantly entertaining suicide.

I used to be so handsome, now I am repulsive.
Hang in there.I had mine done at a clinic. From what I have read, there are plastic surgeons that I read about that have stated they have achieved amazing results. Don't give up, I haven't and if I have anything else done to my skin it will be at a plastic surgeon. It will take a while to heal and from my results your skin may not be what you were promised but it will return to normal.If you have any more questions or problems please post me a comment and I will help you or answer questions you have. I have had 8 treatments of different types and on a scale of one to ten, the result is a 3. I am 55 years old and please read what the plastic surgeon in Miami, Florida had to say about results. I believe everyone should have the opportunity for nice, smooth, clear skin.
Thankyou Beetle. I'm giving my life over to qigong and Daoist spirituality to survive.
The first thing I need to do is understand. Knowledge is power. How is it possible that light resurfacing have such adverse effects on the skin? I search and search and there is no answer. How exactly did the skin respond to the treatment? -I have to admit, I wasn't that adamant about after-care. I applied ointments heavily, I avoided the sun... but I kept going to the sauna after my work-outs, and it was in the middle of winter so my face was consistantly exposed to very cold weather. I am also a light smoker.

Do you think that the sauna and cold-weather are enough to cause such drastic adverse results?

Do you think that the issues will be correctable with a different laser, with thought to better after-care? -Or is further laser-treatment just going to continue to destroy my skin?
Oh, also, my initial 3 treatments were all spaced one week apart. I had thought that my skin had healed after just those several days, and when I went back to the dermatologist she just gave me another round of treatment. 3 treatments in a about a 3 week period.

I suppose this is also a very likely explanation for the adverse reactions =(
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

they specifically state DO NOT SMOKE, no heavy exercise for one month, stay out of the sun for six months after the procedure and if you do go in the sun wear baby sunscreen and a hat reapply every three hours. I unfortunately had blue light with levulan about eight years ago I was a heavy medical marijuana user at the time and on my third treatment I got horibble cystic acne that left me with worse skin than ever before. I had a bad feeling about the last treatement and wanted to stop at two but they said they wouldn't refund me and my skin could only get better :(
p.s. it took about eight years to resolve the scaring from the cystic acne on year seven I started microderm abraisan acne treatment with an estatician which was a great improvement but I wanted better results so I did the C02 but all these posts have me kinda freaked out :/ a Technician did my treatment not the plastic surgeon.
I have had 2 co2 laser treatments for acne scarring, and sleep wrinkles and the results aren't what I was told. The scars are still present and very minimal sleep wrinkle results.I honestly feel like these doctors are selling snake oil.I am told after after each treatment, everyone's skin is different.I believe if I have any more work done, it will be with a plastic surgeon and someone who will tell me what results are possible.
I have recently had pixel done in Philadelphia about 4 weeks ago. They told me i should continue using hydrocone & retrinol up until the day of procedure & afterwards. I don;t know what has went wrong, but now my skin looks like absolute lizard skin. A combination of more tiny bumps all over, enlarged pores that i never had, looks really rough. I have never had skin that looks like this. I am so upset, disappointed, & frustrated! I wish I would never have done this to myself. Everyday that passes it gets more & more worse. I have discontinued using everything.Is there anything that can correct this? I am pissed!!!!!!!!
Hi JLB17, also n2betterski. I wanted to check in and see how you are doing? What did the doctor say? Have to gone for a different treatment? Additionally I wanted to know if you had any tests for any contradiction that might of made this procedure abnormal for you. I've been reading and found some really favorable results using the Pixel CO2. I hear the healing process is very long, but overall worth the wait.
I had the regular pixel done several times. I noticed uneven skin and weird problems with my skin after it was done. It looks like deep scarring. I recently had the co2 done and still in the healing process so I will see if it helps with the problems from the other laser. I almost wish I wouldn't of done anything.
I am having this same problem. When you said you had the CO2 after the pixel laser, did you mean the traditional CO2 (not the fraxel CO2) And did it help you?

Hi JLB17. I have the non-CO2 Pixel and would never use the CO2 - too risky. However, there is a company in Princeton NJ near you that makes a very elegant version called ECO2, and they have a superstar derm user near princeton...call Lutronic Lasers if you ever need another treatment. But for fixing, consider this: You will heal a lot slower than you would think - that is a very common source of stress post-treatment. Be patient. Use a gentle soothing moisturizer or cover-up product like Avene Spring Water GEL or Lycogel hysdrating foundation. I recommend staying away from aggressive hydroquinone creams. I can find you some fix-it follow-up treatment providers I know in Jersey, even though i live in Ohio.

I wish I had never gone near this procedure but the derm was supposed to be a "superstar" and reassured me things could not look worse. I was looking for a general smoother/tighter/cleaner look (which is supposedly pretty immediate and I look worse than before with no tightening/smoothness to be found so that is why I am pretty hopeless that those issues will be resolving themselves over time) and in terms of any depressions I understood it could take months for new collagen to form. I had 2 fraxels in the past without much of a problems so I assumed my skin could handle it. I just cannot deal with the new depressions that seem to be forming and the rolling/uneven texture of my cheek where I before had no concerns. I have hope that the laser pattern will fade over time but that is almost the least of my worries at this point. I appreciate any names you could give me of offices where they might have experience in correcting bad procedures. Thank you very much!

I am going to Dr. G in Hackensack New Jersey on Monday. He is suppose to be one of the very best laser specialists in the world. I really hope to hear good news. I'm devastated by this procedure! Just devastated!