Have Had 2 Traditional CO2 Treatments for Post-surgery Scars. Should I Try Something Else? - Poland

Hello everyone, I’ve been reading this...

Hello everyone,

I’ve been reading this forum for months – it gives me both hope and fear subsequently and I thought I would share all my concerns with forum members and doctors. If I could get some advice and hints from you I would be very happy. OK, here is my case;

- I am 30 years old, 15 years ago I had terrible accident hence post-surgery scars on my face.

- The biggest scar is above my lip on the right - it is shown on the first 6 pictures here. This scar is placed where skin is folding when I smile and it tends to hide in it when I do so. It is pale now however what you can’t really see on the picture is that it is not even with the healthy skin, it is a bit raised.

- There is another small scar on my cheek, it is almost even with the skin surrounding however it is still visible, especially in the sun – what I mean is that then you can see exactly it’s texture.

- Finally there is a scar above my upper lip that looks like a line - it is after unsuccessful surgery performed by the top plastic surgeon from my home country – instead of giving my upper lip more shape he gave me another scar..This scar is relatively new, I had this surgery 3 years ago.

I have had two CO2 laser treatments so far. One was 10 years ago, another 5 years ago (so it’s been reasonable time break between them). Both dermabrasions proved much success, I could see the results - my scars were bigger before the treatments.

My newest line-like scar above lip side wasn’t treated with any laser yet.

My main aim is to make these scars look smaller. After many years of sadness, crying and deep depression I have finally accepted the fact that I will never look as I looked before the accident. I still want to try and do everything what I can to make scars look smaller and less visible. Even if that mean taking a risk..

I’ve been consulting many doctors, the problem is that everyone is saying something different. I would like to get help with several issues that are my big concern. As I said I would be very grateful for any hints.

1) I would like to do another CO2 treatment. The laser that my treatments were performed with was made by Sharplan. I was very happy with the results. I thought that if it helped me already why should I not try it once more. I think that if the laser will take off first layers of my skin then new skin will grow and push down old layers deeper inside so it will make my scars look smaller. This is how it worked with two previous treatments.

But what is the limit of CO2 treatment done? It is very invasive procedure but if it helped me already I would like to get it done as many times as I possibly can (of course with reasonable time breaks).

2) I was suggested by one of the doctors to get Fraxel re: pair. treatment. This is fractional not ablasive laser so it will take off only around ¼ of the top skin layers. Is it good solution for my problem then? Because I would like to peel off as much as I can from the very first skin layers of my face. Please remember that my main concern are my deep post-surgery scars.

3) I was also suggested by another doctor that I should rather look into a treatment that will help my scars blend into a normal skin surrounding it. And then he suggested Fraxel re: store. He said it will stimulate deeper tissue of my skin to transform scars more into a direction that they will look like a normal skin. He also said that my biggest scar on the left hand side above lip will even out with the skin level. I would be grateful for any suggestions re: this possible solution.

4) My last question is re: two last pics I have posted here. As you can see I am stretching my scar with fingers there. It looks more even and less visible then normally therefore I thought that perhaps facelift done specifically for this purpose would be good idea?

Thank you everyone for reading this, your help will be very much appreciated!

Fraxel or traditional CO2 for post-surgery scars? If I could get some advice and hints from you I would be very happy.

I would recommend my doctor but he doesn't perform CO2 dermabrasion anymore.

I just saw your post today, not sure what you have done, but have you looked into the new PDL Laser the V Beam Perfecta by Candela? I would see what a top Dermatologist has to say about this now. It may help. Keep your head up. I know how you feel.
I agree with BriaDurant. NOTHING beats the traditional Ultrapulse CO2 laser (except tradional dermabrasion). I had the traditional CO2 laser 2x and and the results were absolutely spectacular - I was left with absolute perfection - EVERY line, scar and color variance was gone in one shot. I recently had a Fraxel and it is a JOKE compared to the traditional lasers. My skin looks AWFUL! And it ruined the perfection that the traditional Ultrapulse CO2 laser gave me. DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT A LASER THAT WORKS OFF OF A FRACTIONAL/pixel PREMISE!
Thank you very much for your feedback Bria! Any particular filler you would recommend? With Regards, Areta
Hello, First of all I want to comment that your scars do not look bad at all, your skin looks lovely and you look much younger than you are too. I would not recommed fraxel for this type of scarring, I think you will be very unhappy with the results. I personally think you should try the Co2 laser again, as it will significanly even out the scarring and stretch it out a little, tighten it up. I had Co2 over my entire face 10 years ago (for deep acne scarring) the surgeon went as deep as he could and I used "silicone skin" on my face for 3 weeks to protect the new skin, my skin is now almost perfect and it looked a lot worse than yours; similar to your scar my acne marks looked a lot better when stretched, C02 works well on these types of scars. A face lift would not work, you're too young and it would stretch your mouth making you look deformed. Face lifts cannot help this kind of scarring. The other thing you may want to try is filler injections (with someone very experienced) this will fill in the scar significantly and bring it up to the same height as the rest of your skin. I hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide :) Best wishes, Bria
BriaDurant,

Do you remember the exact name for the "silicone skin" product you mentioned or where it can be purchased? I am having the CO2 treatment in Dec and googled "silicone skin" but am not finding anything, would like to get some before my treatment.

Thanks! Kim