Just Started Invisalign - Uncomfortable but Sticking with It!

My actual cost after my insurance is about $3,200...

My actual cost after my insurance is about $3,200 and I'm using my health flex plan to pay for that (not due all at once but over the course of the treatment).

I have 13 trays and the orthodontist said it would be about a year and a half but with 3 weeks a tray, I'm not sure how that is possible. The receptionist told me that it really depends on how my teeth shift and whether or not I'm persistent in keeping the aligners in. I plan on being disciplined with keeping it on all the time except when eating and/or drinking anything other than water.

I'm on the third day. The first day was definitely the most uncomfortable and the realization of having to have this in for about a year or was a bit depressing, however I'm optimistic after reading the reviews that I will get used to it and the pain and discomfort is only for a few days upon using a new tray.

I have 3 'attachments' on my bottom teeth. These feel strange especially when the aligners are off and I'm eating. Unfortunately one of them does scrap against the inside of my lip and has cause it to be sore and bleed a tiny bit. I'm hoping that some time during the treatment, it will be taken out. It does hurt a bit when removing the aligners (and even putting it on) on my bottom teeth and I suspect the attachments have something to do with that.

My teeth really weren't that bad at all. Just a few slight gaps on the bottom teeth and one top teeth that had began jutting out slightly. This was just something I wanted to do for myself to get 'perfect' teeth.

Will keep writing in to update everyone on the progress as well the any situations I come across that I think prospective people should know about.

Update: I've since completed my treatment. They...

Update: I've since completed my treatment. They worked 100%. The gap has been filled. I'm extremely satisfied with the results.

Dr. Nikki Nyguen

She's all right so far. I'm not far along enough in the treatment to really know for sure.

I have been finished with my treatment for 7-8 months and my teeth still feel uncomfortable almost daily. I hate the bonded wires on the back of both my top and bottom rows of teeth. They agitate my tongue all day long. The only relief is when my retainers are in and covering them. Whether I wear the retainers every night or not, I can constantly feel the sensation of my teeth moving during the day. They just feel as if they are pushing to go somewhere; there is a constant pressure in my gums and discomfort. Though I would not call it painful or even significant, it is the low, dull, but constant, irritation that drives me crazy. I am thinking about having the bonded wires removed and scrapping the retainers and just letting my mouth be happy again. I am also pretty sure the treatment disrupted my natural bite. My bottom teeth close onto the bonded wire from my top teeth every time I bite down. I know this can't be good. Invisalign, you were less 'metal mouth' than traditional braces, but I'd never say you were worth it.

I am now in the 'retainer' phase. Apparently I have to wear the retainers all my life, only at night though. If the dentist asks you if you want a 2nd set of retainers at a special rate, which is usually offered only in the beginning, take it! The retainers are slightly thicker than the trays. Although, I cracked both of mine already and they are very expensive to replace. I ended up getting the 'holly' retainers, which were $600 but can last 20 yrs (as long as you don't lose them). You can also use the last tray as retainers, which I sometimes do. Be sure to be consistent with wearing them. It's ok if you miss a day here and there, as I have, but you can definitely feel a difference if you do. It's tighter when you put it on after neglecting to for a day or so. Teeth are constantly shifting and naturally want to go back to their initial state. Just remember how much you paid for the darn treatment and hopefully that'll motivate you to be consistent in wearing them.

Thanks for the update! That is great advice about getting the second retainer at a reduced rate. Good for you for being so diligent with your retainers & not letting your teeth shift!

Oh thats great,its going on 3 weeks and I can hardly wait for them to come in so I can get this show on the road. I hope your entire treatment goes smooth for you..best of luck.
I haven't taken any pics but nobody notices and when I tell them, they always say they still don't notice. It isn't noticeable at all, which is great. It's day 9 and I already feel well adjusted to them. I forget they're even in. It's amazing how we hate change but how our bodies are so adjusting! I remember reading other reviews when I first started wearing and one person said it will always feel like you're getting food caught in the attachments and that is very true, although you're not. Also, one person said they just kept wanting to take it off. I definitely had that urge mannny times right in the beginning. Your mouth feels crowded and claustrophobic but that does go away. I'm still lisping slightly but I've read that it will go away eventually.
your teeth feeling "clausterphobic" is a great description. That went away for me after 3-4 days. No one notices them in. My boyfriend is always offering me food because he cant tell the difference when they are in or out. I also have visited a few friends that I have not seen or told that I got them.. they had no clue. Definitely do not take them out if they are hurting in the beginning..The only way to get your teeth to adjust and stop hurting is to leave them in for an extended period of time. I would definitely recommend changing to a new alligner right before you go to bed.. so they are on for a long time and your teeth have time to adjust. Your teeth are sore for a lot shorter period of time when you do it that way. good luck!!
Thats good. I'm waiting on mine to come back I'm counting down and can barley wait. My impressions was done on Sept/16. I hope everything works out for you, do you have any pic with them in and are they really hard to see?