Worried Invisalign Results Won't Last Because I Don't Wear the Trays All Day

I have been using invisalign since march 2008 and...

I have been using invisalign since march 2008 and I have had good results and i have seen a lot of sucessful movement. I did, however, have to get my trays redone and may go for a third attempt.

I have become lazy and used my invisalign usually only at night, but at most about half a day. My sister did the same and she has been done her moving trays and has been onto her final tray for what I believe has been around two years, and yet she has yet to find that he teeth have kept their position.

I am worried now that my teeth with shift after my invisalign moving trays are done due to my lack of constant use. I don't know what I'll do. Help?

he was nothing special

One of the main disadvantages of invisalign is that they are removable which is also one of their benefits. But if you don't wear them they won't work, wearing the aligners does two things it moves teeth and it holds teeth in a position where the bone, gums, and other structures around the teeth can be restructured to the new teeth. If you don't wear the aligners 20 hours a day then you can move the teeth but the won't have the necessary restructuring around them. Every patient whether in invisalign or wires will have to have retainers of some kind, although every case is different some patients may be good for 2 years other patients may need a lifetime of retention. I tell my patients you will have to retain your teeth as long as you want to keep them straight, I guess that is one of the joys of having crooked teeth
Hello, I went through Invisalign treatment for top and bottom. At the end of my treatment, my dentist forgot to give me the retainers you are supposed to wear for a year. MY TEETH MOVED AND WENT BACK TO HOW THEY WERE BEFORE TREATMENT! YOur teeth will go back so wear your retainers, you are only supposed to wear it at night.
I don't think you have to wear it for life, sugar820 lol. Maybe about a couple of months to a year. But like I stated before I'm not sure. I guess everyone's case is different. I really don't see what the big deal is putting them while youre going to sleep though. And if you lose them, break them, etc. all you have to do is get a new pair!
Tell your sistr to be careful of that wire that they put behind your teeth. It is called a permanent retainer. I've had one on for many years now and it has started pushing one side of my teeth out/forward. Now I'm on here looking into invisalign to repair the damage that it did!
Consult your orthodontist, but there is a wire they can put behind your teath that gets covered with a wax like coating. You won't notice it's there and you won't have to wear retainers... EVER! This is done after your treatments are complete. My sister had it done... I'm not sure why more orthodontist don't suggest it.
Thank you very much for the help! My only worry is that, like my sister, I'll have to wear the night time final retainer for life, and if I lose it or forget.. or it breaks, my teeth will never remain. Suggestions?
I had invisalign for about 15 months. Because of my job (I speak in front of people all day, and invisalign altered my speech enough that I didn't want to wear them while talking), I went against recommended treatment and only wore them evenings and nights. At the end, I got a retainer (upper and lower) that is very comfortable. It is plastic and form fitting, like invisalign, but without those "posts" on my teeth. Again, supposed to wear it all day, but I really only do nights. Been good for 6 months now, but I can guarantee my teeth would move if I didn't wear it every night. However, I've known SEVERAL people with braces who have the exact same scenario. So I don't think it's invisalign vs braces in this regard. In my case (really bad crowding) it's just something that will naturally happen if I have nothing restricting the movement. Wearing the retainer nightly is a small price to pay, in my opinion. And it's really comfortable. more than the invisaligns were.
You have to consult an ortho. I am a new patient and I'm a month and a half into the treatment. I do know that you have to wear a retainer at the end of treatment so teeth do not get moved back to their original position. I am not sure for how long though and for how many hours.