Radiesse Injected Under Eyes Ruined my Face

I went in just to have my marionette lines around...

I went in just to have my marionette lines around my mouth filled. The doctor I was seeing brought up the idea that I had a sunken area under my eyes that would look much better filled in. I had never even noticed it before.

I stopped her after she started injecting under my eye, because I said I only bought 2 syringes and wanted to address what I came in for. So she only did the one eye and then it ended up swelling horribly! She hit a 'blood vessel" she said which can happen sometimes.

Well, its been over 4 weeks and I am still dealing with this deformity on my face. It's was like a big wet teabag on my face and it made me look much older. Thank god, I didn't do both eyes. Now I do my research and see it is not recommended for under the eye area. Well, why did she do it???? Don't doctors have to abide by the recommended course for use? She had me sign something leaving her un-responsible for any discomfort or reaction I may have so shes has her money and she is in the clear.

She did give me a prescription for Pregnisone that I got to pay for, to help lower the swelling after I called and complained, but its been a very slow process. The swelling has gone down but I have a teaspoon size red patch under my eye that's really hard to cover up. I so regret it.

The other areas she injected by my mouth have a subtle improvement and had no bad reaction. If only she didn't take it upon herself to just inject it under my eye. I don't know what to do, I really feel victimized and without recourse. Anyone think I should ask for some of my money back?

I had Radiesse injected under my right eye.. I...

I had Radiesse injected under my right eye..

I had this done on May 8th, 2009, and I still have a swelling on under my eye on July 15th, 2009. Really ruined my face.

I have been calling Sales Reps and my Doctor, but no one wants to know about bad news.

Hello again, here I am 16 months later and STILL...

Hello again, here I am 16 months later and STILL have a bag under my right eye. The bag has deflated a bit but the skin was stretched out and has aged more than the other un-injected side. Thanks to Dr M of Scottsdale, AZ, who injected me even though I did not ask for the under eye area, she just thought it should be done while she was doing my Nasio-label folds. I stopped her after one eye, saying that's not what I came here for, but the damage was done. Just makes me so MAD that these Doctors get away with it and no one cares because that can make money on the next stupid girl that comes along. You can complain all you want, make all the calls you want and report to any organization with an 800 number but no one will do anything. Watch Out For Yourself! Don't do get Radiesse. It's not worth the chance that you will be deformed.

Dr. Elisa Mashal

Because she used a filler in an area where it was not recommended to be used.

Thanks, Nadiahhoney, I just hope things look better soon.
Wow... I just reported a good experience with Radiesse but I am furious that bad docs can hurt your life like this. I have had stuff injected in cheekbone area. In the tear trough area I once had a doc inject it with Juvederm -- I asked, he complied -- and ended up with what you have. My present doc (not that other one) who I LOVE said it had obviously been done too superficially. Now MINE went away but it'a possible you have developed permanent granulomas, since Radiesse is unpredictable? I told my doc who never messed me up, Doc Alouf in VA, about some of these stories. It really is the fault of the docs and not just the substance. You were not informed and you should have been; keep reporting and doing what you are doing, because the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and I REALLY WISH the docs who should not be allowed to do this stuff would not! I mean, if you had done this to someone and destroyed them, would you ever feel comfortable doing this again? I would NOT trust myself! Furious for you
I just reported again for the second time, to the FDA Medical Watch program. It's good to keep updating them so they don't forget we are still left with disfiguing issues from Radiesse. Be sure to update them with your own results. It's online and you can fill in a discription in detail. Go to: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medwatch/medwatch-online.htm or look up Medwatch, adverse effects. IT'S OVER TWO YEARS and I STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE SWELLING UNDER MY EYE!

Thanks for updating. We added your doctor name to the appropriate field on the form.

I had radiesse under both eyes 14 months ago and still look terrible. I tried the steroid treatment, then v-beam and fraxel laser treatments and nothing works. One eye looks better than the other but the skin under both eyes is wrinkled and red. My Dr offered to surgically remove it and promises only a small scar but I don't want any scar. I called bioform and they said it shouldn't be surgically removed and also another plastic surgeon said the same and that he expected it to last at least another year. I know that even if it does disolve my skin is permanantly ruined. I look much older and like the others it was the doctors idea, promising I would look so much better. Has anyone found anything that works to improve the horrible looks of this stuff? If anyone reading this is considering this stuff PLEASE Don't.. It will ruin your face!
Mrtha I am so sorry about what happened to you. I really want doc who do things like this to be forced to quit ruining lives for profit. I once had restalyne (sp?) injected beneath the eye and it made a horrible lumpy line and ruined my life, but at least that went away. I am still pissed about it! I tell everyone who did it to me, but he's still working. Now I don't do anything to that area but it is somewhat permanently altered, and that was a "temporary" filler. Reactions from skin can last forever, however. That's what they don't tell you. Now I go to someone else and only do temporary fillers in other areas like NL folds, but it is way more expensive than Radiesse.
It has now been over two months since my doctor injected radiesse under my eyes to get rid of my dark circles. I still have a lump under one eye and redness. The skin under my eyes is very damaged and wrinkled. It also feels like a sunburn. When I asked my doctor why she would do an injection under my eye that had not been approved by the FDA, she told me that many doctors performed off label uses of products with great results. I told her that Bioform told me that not one scientific study had been done on undereye injections and it was her duty not to perform unsafe procedures on patients. I am furious and look much worse now.
Hi Lawgirl....your story sounds just like mine....I'm on day 6 and I have fluid filled sacks that are a yellowish/browish color. I'm swollen and red in my cheeks (and the product wasn't even injected there....it must have migrated). It feels like a sunburn too....very hot. My eyes, mouth and sinuses are very dry! I am so horrified about what else might happen to me because of this product! Can you please share with me your situation right now....since it's been 3 years since you posted this??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I'M SO DEPRESSED BECAUSE OF THIS....PLEASE HELP.
Hi DA50. Day 6 does seem late since it should have gone down (I freaked out on day two to three, but six days seems longer than I have heard.) Is the yellow-brown color a bruise? Those can take up to two weeks to go away, for most, I think.....but honestly, call your doctor immediately. I am so sick of reading and hearing all these horror stories when all we wanted was to look better (for a ton of money, too.) It just makes me so mad and while I don't think any doctor would intend to harm us obviously THEY HAVE!!! I really hope your doctor will take responsibility and hopefully this can be fixed for you. It's just I don't want it to "settle" if it did migrate. So the sooner the better.
Hi nadiahoney. I'm very happy to report that since the injections and I'm finally starting to look more normal with each day that passes! The fluid sacks have gone away but there is still some discoloration in that area! My eyes still feel more dry then normal but my mouth and sinus seem to be back to normal. The only worry I have at the moment is a small knot that formed near my eye but I'm hoping that in time it will go away! Someone told me to use a sonic toothbrush on it and it will help to dissolve it.....so I'm going to try it! Thank you for your concern.....I feel like I might be Okay now.....still praying every day for this to just get out of my system!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!!
By the way, my doctor used Restylane in my tear troughs without my knowledge or consent. Previously Juvederm had been used in my tear troughs and I was happy with it. I had no idea that she had decided to use Restylane instead of Juvederm for the 'top up' until I paid the bill. Restylane is more expensive than Juvederm too! While I am still furious at her, I am also exceedingly grateful that she did not decide to 'try out' Radiesse or Sculptra under my eyes without asking me. How dare these doctors just make decisions without telling us?
Hi Teabag - yes you should report the doctor to the AMA for using Radiesse under your eyes when the product is clearly not recommended for this purpose. PLEASE ALSO REPORT YOUR ADVERSE EVENT WITH RADIESSE TO THE FDA. The link for online reporting to the FDA is: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medwatch/medwatch-online.htm You can remain anonymous. I have experienced a Botox disaster and know exactly how you feel about having to wait months and months while some doctor's incompetence wears off your face. Reporting it at least made me feel that I was doing something positive and proactive that could maybe help other people. I have read lots of the Radiesse review and it seems like it causes problems for a lot of people. Has your situation improved any?
Hi there. I had my injection on May 8th, and its October 12th. I STILL have the swollen teabag under my eye. I am really mad about it. My Doctor won't return my simple "follow up request " call. What a bitch. HOW DO THEY GET AWAY WITH IT!!!!!!!!!! My husband is not happy withme and keeps asking me to do something about it, but I have been to 3 professional surgeons who won't touch it. I have called attorneys but so far no takers. Any luck on your end?
Has anyone been able to explain to you what has caused the "teabag"? Or is is still a mystery?

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about your results. I was thinking of getting Radiesse, but I decided to do my research first. I'm glad I did. Who was your doctor. I live in Scottsdale also and I do not want to go to the same doctor you did. Thank you.

I still have a bag under that eye. I am so unhappy about this. Its not fair that the Doctor gets away with this. It's NOT recommended to inject under the eye, yet she did it anyway! The skin is getting streched out there too. so if this injected filler ever does go away, the skin is now damaged. This happened on May 8th, now it's August 1st. Almost 3 Months. I have tried all kinds of creams & lotions to no avail. I am going to call the Radiesse Manaufacturer next week and ask for some help. There making money hand over fist but there's no support for those people who get a bad reaction. Maybe AMA should be notified.
me too! it has been 6 weeks for me, and although one eye looks good, the other is still very swollen, a hard lumpy line on my lower eye rim, and still a dark red patch below the eye. A faint one on the other side that can be covered with makeup. Has it got any better for you?
I am going through the same thing but unfortuantly it is under both of my eyes. It has been 3 months and I still have a bag under one eye (which I didnt have before) and under the other eye a line on which is obviously the radiesse superficially injected. The doctors I have been to say it will be about 6-12 months until it goes away. Never put Radiesse under the eye and you would think the Docots know that but some I guess dont care.