Don't Do It. Risk Too Great Even from an "Expert"

Unless you have terrible rosacea and are at your...

Unless you have terrible rosacea and are at your wits end you must not have IPL. I simply had a few red veins and mild flushing, otherwise lovely skin (if only I had recognised it then!). Now I have dents, scars and holes all across both cheeks. I have been scarred for life by IPL. I urge NO ONE to have IPL (with or without RF) because the risk of being permanently disfigured are just too high. Check out plastic surgery forums to see how many people have been damaged by simple IPL. I regret every day having this treatment done. Every time I look in the mirror I am sickened. If this post can save another person from being SCARRED then it will have given some kind of sick meaning to this whole experience. And don't be fooled into thinking that having an experienced doctor will mean you won't be scarred. I had the best, and now forever more I will look in the mirror and see him leaning over me with his IPL device, scarring me for life. Ladies and gents IT IS NOT WORTH IT. You are beautiful as you are. Appreciate it and don't mess with nature unless you are at the end of your tether and can't live with the way you are.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience and I hope you manage to get your skin sorted out. I had my first IPL treatment yesterday. My doctor did test patches a couple of weeks before, to make sure the settings weren't too high. I have rosacea but I had an accident years ago that caused months of swelling to one side of my face and the veins on that side are terribly bad. In addition to the appearance, many of the veins are unbearably itchy sometimes. My face is swollen from the treatment but I can already see some improvement. Are the holes you refer to enlarged pores? It's just that I have noticed the pores seem more enlarged in some of the areas treated. I don't believe this was caused by the treatment. I expect that they were already enlarged but they didn't show up as much because of the unslightly veins. You can't shrink your pores but you can get products that will make your pores appear smaller. I have used a couple by Clinique that helped a lot and I'm sure there are many more that will do the job too. Hope your skin improves. I don't think it's fair to advise everyone not to have IPL though. Some of us have a lot of terribly unslightly veins and we're desperate to improve the appearance - and the horrid itching and sensitivity.

I had 2 sessions of IPL 3 weeks apart. I loved the first session. After one week after the 2nd session, I now have an ugly dent on my forehead. Definitely not worth it.

I tried IPL about 10 yrs ago for the first time. The first treatment went well. The second treatment left me with blisters across my nose and a huge black bruise on my cheek. People honestly asked me if my husband beat me. My dermatologist and another skin technician said it was because the person doing the IPL turned the machine up too high. Fast forward to today and I am trying IPL again. Discussed the previous problems and they are being very careful. The first treatment has gone well. My second one will be next week. I am a bit apprehensive but confident they will be careful due to my past experiences. I will update. I have lots of broken capillaries, red areas and some brown spots that I am wanting gone.
I had 3 IPL's done in 2007. I went to Laser Genesis, my goal was to diminish the mild rosacea on the apples of my cheeks. The treatments succeeded for the rosacea & some brown spots. Fast forward 2yrs - the skin on my lower cheeks and chin is so aged. it's like the plumpness from my skin has disappeared, leaving craters for pores, lots of dents, and lots of fine wrinkles. Everyone discreetly passes me samples of their "favorite moisturizer", even though my skin is so oily I have to wash it several times per day. I was never burned, never had any redness or reaction to the treatments, I have northern European (fair) skin. I don't know what strength of treatment I received because the doctor(?) won't pass me the info. I'm very sick about what I've done to myself ... not a day goes by where I don't want to reverse my decision. It's not the end of the world, but my skin was OK prior to treatment. Now I look at 80yr olds who have better skin than I do.
Did you only have the treatment on your chin and cheeks. How is your skin now?
hi i had the treatment done atleast two months ago, i am a bit worried as i have got 3 dark spots in the area where the veins were, can anyone tell me if they will disapear eventually or will it stay, it looks worse than the veins did thanks
I had IPL done at least 3 times. My skin is evenly toned now-- no red or brown blotches or purple veins anymore. I didnt think anyone would notice except me but i am getting so many compliments on my skin now. Also, it removed a big red patch on my neck which I think was sun damage. Just loved IPL!!!!
I just had IPL yesterday and I'm fine. I have a little swelling. 90% of my capillaries are gone the first day. The rest are turning dark, which will be gone within a week. A couple acne scares are faded by 50% and may disappear in the next week. First one and my skin looks great already. I went to a place that perform TONs of IPLs. Oh yeah, had some caps on my chest zapped too. It's a little bumpy, but the caps are gone and so will the swelling.
I feel these melt the fat under the skin. No surgeon wants to admit to that though. I read so many bad stories. the tightening ones....it melts fat a bit and the skin tightens as it adjusts, but a skinnier face. Lasers are heat and that melts no matter that they deny such.
i am going to have this procedure done for rosacea,,HELP...I am horrified NOW....Dr told me just one procedure and i would be happy..told me i would be a good candidate for it...some discomfort??? horror stories here ...a little pain is one thing but INTENSE BURNING??? i was told discomfort and a little burning???now not sure weather or not to have it done...i was feeling great when i left her office..NOW i feel scared to death.....u people have scared me...
Margie, I have worked as an medical esthetician with and around these lasers 7 for years. I have NEVER seen anything like the horror story above. I agree with the other comments about posting the name of the Dr if there was really such terrible result. I know it is the only treatment that has ever worked for me for sun damage and broken blood capillaries. Its not a super comfortable experience no doubt about it but its tolerable and quick. Bottom line be sure you go to someone with a good reputation and if your really scared just postpone, do some more research and get back to it when you feel good about it.
Reveal the damn name of the doctor or it didn't happen. I am absolutely tired of reading posts here regarding bad experiences and no one mentions their doc or answers follow up questions by other users.
I'm not the person who originally posted this "Don't Do It" IPL review, I was just browsing and noticed your inappropriate and aggressive tone. Who are you to demand that others "reveal the damn dr.s name or it didn't happen"? I'm a health care professional, an RN with almost 30 years experience, much of it in wound and skin care. And I'm no frightened "newbie" over-reacting to the results of my first IPL. I had several years worth of intermittent IPL treatments with beautiful results, then my last IPL treatment, done by the same clinician at the same office, resulted in the very problems that are being reported by this poster and others on this site. Many people don't want to reveal the name of the Dr. who did the treament, for a variety of reasons. I, for one, and members of my family, work in health-care in a small community, and have to continue to work around these people. Also, some may believe that the Dr. has nothing to do with it. It's the IPL, period, even administered properly by a trained professional. It's a side effect that can occur even when it's done "right". And what's so frightening to many who are having this awful experience is people like you who say it "didn't happen unless..." while those who are experiencing the awful side affects are seeing it happening to them on a daily basis. The old morning-sickness pill from the 60's, Thalidomide, that resulted in so many birth defects before they realized what was causing the births of so many armless babies; the med was taking and administered properly, with excellent results, but it took some time before the connection was made between the med and the disastrous consequences. Who administered the med wasn't the point. The awful, unforseen side effects are the important matter here.
HOW SOON DID THE DENTS AND SCARS APPEAR? I HAD IT 3 DAYS AGO AND I'M SCARED TO DEATH.

Why is it that everyone who had a bad experience will not reveal the name/ location of their doctor?

I will. Mine was at Dermahealth in Springfield Missouri.
I agree pretty scary stuff. Belindha,I would like to hear whether they gave you a patch test before proceeding and how come you were left with scars. Did you, soon afterwards, go into the sun unprotected by any chance? And the dents, were these possibly open pores which became more visible after the treatment?. I have a few on my cheeks so am thinking this would happen to me too. Would love to hear from you.Thanks
Wow! This is really really scary! I don't know what to believe . . . there are other people that have liked the results but I really don't want to take a chance on something like this.