30% (3 Pass) Glycolic Peel - Boston, MA

I had a 30% glycolic peel (3 passes) done by an RN...

I had a 30% glycolic peel (3 passes) done by an RN. 48 hours after the peel my faced became very swollen and the skin turned a yellowish (pus looking) and began to ooze.

The swelling is gone and most of the yellowish pus looking area has gone but now I see a somewhat wavy, bumpy reddish skin. It has now been 2 weeks.

Has anyone had this problem? Does the skin smooth out eventually or will I need to seek a dermatologist? Is what happened to me common with a 30% (3 pass) glycolic peel?

I was told ALL I experience is mild peeling...more of a shedding.

I am am Esthetician and your skin should not have had this reaction. Glycolic peels are considered a light peel and they should only cause mild dryness or flaking if that. If it was a moistened towelette there should have only been ONE pass and only left on for 1-5 minutes depending on your tolerence. same thing if it was brushed on your face. Also if you were using any retin a or alpha hydroxy acids, or anything that causes peeling, on a regular basis you should not do any peel before stopping the retin a a few days beforehand.
I really appreciate your input and my dermatologist completely agrees with what you say. The one thing that she did is rub it in (rather aggressively) with a gauze pad or at least I think it was a gauze pad. I had been using Obagi products (with Retin A) (my esthetician was aware of that) but stopped that a week prior to the procedure. The good news is that after 6 weeks I am seeing some improvement. My dermatologist thinks everything will return to normal but that it will take time. I asked him if he was considering it a 'burn' or an 'irritation'. He says it is severe contact dermatitis therefore feels the skin was severely irritated rather than burned. Again, I want to that you and the others who have helped me through this. You all are great!
Well, this looks like you got burned. First of all, if it was a towelette moistened with the acid she should have only did one pass! The time to leave it on is only 1-5 minutes depending your tolerence. If it was brushed on it was either put on too thick or left on too long, or never taken off. Your skin should NOT gotten that reaction, glyvolic is considered a light peel and should only cause very mild dryness or flaking.
Go see a dermatologist or an esthetician working at a dermatologist office. I just had a light facial peel two days ago and all is going fine, peeling like normal. Looks like you might be in Boston (?). Check out The Rockoff Center in Brooklne. Ask for Laura. t.
Thanks you for your response. I have seen a dermatologist and an esthetician. Both were shocked when they saw the damage. I was put on prednisone, an antibiotic, and a topical steriod. The consensus is that I was given a TCA, not a glycolic peel and that it may not have been properly neutralized. While I am an optimist, I am also a realist and am concerned about permanent damage. I was wondering if this has ever happened to someone else and if it has what did they do to correct discoloration and get their skin smooth again. I will see the doctor again this Tuesday and will ask him but it is always comforting to hear from our peers. Again, thank you so much for writing back.
hey i'm in the Boston area, and a patient at the Rockoff center.. what peel did you use? strength? how are the results? I've done IPL there w/ Mary and it went very well. some results after one treatment.. thank you. v