After 40 Years of Ridicule, Lost 160 Lbs with Gastric Bypass

I had been obese my entire life. Every doctor...

I had been obese my entire life. Every doctor visit, regardless of reason also included conversation about losing weight. I hated it. I hated how I felt, I hated how people treated me and I hated myself. After 40 years of ridicule and constantly mounting health problems I began researching gastric bypass surgery. I researched for nearly 2 years while also switching insurance companies during an open season at work so I could use the surgeon of my choosing.

Everything I read about surgeons in my area directed me to a doctor at Bariatric Treatment Ctr. After my husband and I met with her I knew it was meant to be. I felt an instant sense of well-being with her, safe under her knife. She was very articulate and well-schooled, she had by then done more than 2000 surgeries with less than a 2% mortality rate.

I went through testing and was scheduled for 7/2/2002.

I've lost and kept off a total of 160 lbs. My weight fluctuates by 10 pounds but watching what I eat and getting back on track I'm able to maintain the weight loss.
Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.

Gastric bypass has it's tradeoffs just like everything else in life. I lost weight and also ridded myself of high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol and high triglycerides. I picked up anemia, calcium and magnesium shortages. I can no longer eat a bowl of ice cream, I can no longer drink a bottle of "real" Pepsi and I can no longer enjoy a piece of birthday cake... what can I do? Get my butt in a size 8 pants, walk around an amusement park comfortably, get on rides and close the gate, wear a bathing suit without feeling like I'm busting the seams.

It's all in how you want to spend your life. You have to determine if it's "worth it" and the value is based solely on what is important to you, eating foods that aren't good for you or living. I choose living!

Dr. Patricia Choban

Excellent surgeon who did procedure at OSU prior to BTC. Now with Mid-Ohio at Mt. Carmel West. She's a peoples doctor. She talks to you like you're her equal, never down to you and NO BS. Shoots from the hip.

wow, thats great! i am also in ohio and im doing some research to see what all the qualifications are and different things, i love reading everybodys stories on here!
CONGRATULATIONS!! i think i have to accept that i cant afford the procedure, i tried every financial possibility and i dont think its going to happen. i am so happy for you, best wishes
I have gone to a class regarding Gastric Bypass and I'm seriously considering it. Did you have a hard time at first with the liquid and puree foods diet? I'm so scared that I'm going to "flip out" during those months because I can't have "real food"
start practicing now. Experiment with protein smoothies. My sister made me one with protein powder, one pkg of splenda, a tsp of coffee, and a splash of milk mixed with half a blender container of crushed ice. It tasted exactly like a McDonald's Frappe but without the sugar, less calories and the nutrients of the protein powder. Exactly. Not hard to take at all.
i had a gastric bypass when i was 18 back in dec of 04. it took me 2 yrs to research it and i started wanting surgery when i was 16 and weighed over 240 pounds the day of my surgery i weighed 310 now i weigh 145..anyway to get back on track...the whole no food after surgery is actually a breeze cause u dont get hungry heck i still dont get hungry i have to make my self eat which in most cases is hard for me to do cause i have always been the type that when i make my self eat i get sick...yeah i do miss "sweets" sometimes but when i try to eat them i get super sick i rather go without than have a stomach ache and diaria. yeah i love being skinny now but i am finally almost 7 yrs out and ready to have a tummy tuck. and insurance paid for all but 300 $ of surgery. i was super lucky and it all reality it saved my kife.
did you have insurance that covered the rest? i am trying to find a lower quote for surgery. please let me know
check with your insurance company. It is likely they will pay for it, under certain conditions. Then follow the rules EXACTLY. If you don't follow exactly, they throw you back to square one.
Good for you but........ What did you do with the EXCESS skin around your middle?
Congrats! I'm so happy for you. You look fantastic. :)
Congratulations! I too have had gastric bypass but am suffering greatly because I paid cash They never really gave me any type of support as they do when you have ins and the ins. company requires you to get certain evaluations and physcological evals I had mine going on 3 yrs but dont have support groups or anyone following up and I actually went through a BAD suicidal phase. Im sorry I hope this doesnt scare you but Id like to share thoughts
you can go to any hospital near you and participate in their bariatric support groups. They are open to all.