Fraxel Was Really Painful but Good Results for Fine Lines and Wrinkles Caused by Sun Exposure - Los Angeles, CA

I have had a total of 2 Fraxel treatments. The...

I have had a total of 2 Fraxel treatments. The first time I wasn't prepared for how much it would hurt, and I had to call in sick to work the next day because I looked like a burn victim. The second time I was prepared for redness and the pain so I scheduled the treatment for a Friday. They upped the strength on the second pass and wow was I swollen all weekend! My poor boyfriend had to keep bringing me fresh ice packs for my red pumpkin face. They also say redheads are more sensitive to pain, and in my case that's definitely true. By the third day the pain was gone, and I peeled for about 2 more days and then I was all better.

I'm 38, and I had Fraxel done to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles that came as a result of too much sun exposure as a kid, especially as fair skinned as I am. The spa I went to had all nurses on staff to perform the procedures but they are all supervised by a staff of 3 doctors. People on here will tell you to only go to a doctor for this, but since his nurses usually perform the treatment anyway why not get the benefit of the spa too?

It's been about 2 months since my 2nd (and last) treatment and I really do see an improvement in the texture and color of my skin, it's very even and smooth.

Was it worth the pain? In retrospect, yes, since I'm always in search of perfect skin. But my boyfriend said if I decide to do another one of those, I am on my own :)

Spa 7, inside Burke Williams at 8000 Sunset Blvd

The nurses on staff have all had the procedures done themselves and their skin looks amazing. They are their own best commercial!

Dear Prodchick,

Could you tell me which clinic and what doctor did your treatment for you in LA?

Thxx;
Did your doctor apply anasthetic and leave it on for over an hour before your treatment? I am also fair skinned and used aloe vera mixed with a vitamin E capsule to speed up the healing and give me pain relief. The best gel for Fraxel rapid healing I have found is called Cort sym gel Just google to find it in the USA. It , along with the vitamin E. gave me healing in 24 hours and relief from the pain and redness as well. I also took arnica and Rescue Remedy before and after.
Yes, they did apply the anasthetic and left it on for at least half an hour. It wasn't the procedure itself that was so painful, it was the swelling and redness afterwards. I didn't want to use any other creams but the one they gave me, but the arnica and Rescue Remedy sound like good ideas if I decide to have another Fraxel.
My Doctor leaves it on for AT LEAST 60 minutes. They also finish the treament with a cream that contains hydrocortisone. The natural stuff I apply myself when I get home that accelerates healing is called Cort Sym Gel you can order it from a company called A1 if you google it. It is amazing. I mix it with a very high quality vitamin E Capsule, as the vit E is very thick, and needs the aloe from the cort sym to go on smoothly without pulling on the skin. I also ice frequently for the first 24 hours. I drive home from the treatment with the ac on!