Fraxel Re:Store and Mild Swelling After Treatment

Pros - not very painful. Looks great 24 hours...

Pros - not very painful. Looks great 24 hours out, but I think that is mostly because of mild swelling. Who knew swelling could be such a good thing!

I had my first treatment of Fraxel Re:Store yesterday for acne scarring on my cheeks. I can't believe how great my cheeks look today. My guess, however, is that this result is because of the mild swelling and not the actual treatment since I know Fraxel works based on buildin collagen and that takes time. But my cheeks look great today (other than being red). For the first time in years, I don't look in the mirror and see indented scarring.

So when I go back for my second treatment, should I talk to my dermatologists about a filler such as Sculptra? Would that give me similar results to the mild swelling in my cheeks?

I have found Sculpra injections to be very helpful for acne scars and we recommend Sculptra for many of our patients in addition to laser treatment - usually Fraxel. Fraxel and other non-ablative treatments help build collagen under the scars. Sculptra can replace volume loss in the deeper layers of the skin to help lift and support the entire area affected by teh scar. Our patients have been very satisfied with Sculptra for acne scars. Elizabeth Rostan, MD, Charlotte, NC

Hi Runner999,

Since it seems you have a dermatologist you trust, I would suggest that you express to him or her what you are trying to achieve instead of asking about a specific product. Let your dermatologist know you liked the swelling post Fraxel and you'd like that plumping in your cheeks to stick around.

That way, your dermatologist can recommend some treatment options that he or she feels comfortable administering and is confident would provide you with the results you desire.