Puffiness and Swelling to the Nose After Having Metal Plates Put into Cheeks of the Face.

I am 15 years old, turn 16 on friday. I was...

I am 15 years old, turn 16 on friday. I was involved in a serious car accident in april 2009. I broke my cheek bones, broken jaw, broken nose, shattered eye socket and crushed back. I had facial surgery where i had metal plates put into my cheeks. Had lots of things put into my mouth to keep my jaw into place. Its been 3 months now since my surgery but the swelling and puffiness will not go down from my nose.

This is really affecting my life. I have tried lots of different things to get rid of the puffiness and swelling but nothing seems to work. I look into the mirror everyday and everyday i feel like the mirror is telling me something different. Can you please help me. I dont go out i stay in doors all day everyday. I havent been able to go to school and i am scared of going to college in september because of my nose.

Please help me get rid of puffiness and swelling to my nose.

I know i had to have facial surgery but my nose will not go back to normal cannot get rid of the puffiness and swelling.

Unfortunately, with that much trauma and the necessary reconstruction, most patients will have significant swelling for many, many months...perhaps as long as a years or longer. Sadly, there is no proven or reliable way to reduce this sort of post-operative and post-traumatic swelling. In fact, many times patients can actually make things worse by trying to speed up the process. But there is a silver lining to all of this which is that time itself will tend to take care of these problems all on its own. Have patience and follow up with your surgeon(s) for proper advice and reassurance.
Dr. Pearson is correct. You'll be swollen for several months more. Try massage and possible steroid injection to help soften scars. With time your face will get better. The nose takes the longest to heal after surgery or trauma, often one year or more, so be patient. Good luck. Dr. Shah
I was in an auto accident about 5 years ago and my zygomatic was broken in three different places so the Dr. put a piece of titanium the size of a nickel in my face and my left side is always swollen. I've had people ask me if I was in fight because sometimes it looks that bad. I have gone back to the surgeon numerous x and the last time they took an X-ray of it and found out I had a sinus infection and the Dr. thought maybe that was causing it, but that was 4 years ago and still I'm becoming self cautious because of it. Since this plate I've had a constant runny nose no matter what season it is. One of the Dr.'s who worked on my operation said that the Dr. put the piece a little too high but the reconstruction part would be worse than the surgery. Could I be allergic to the metal in my face?
So sorry you're dealing with that, apple!
Thanks