Face Dimpling After SMAS Facelift for Jowls/hollowness

At my age it was getting to be time to do...

At my age it was getting to be time to do something about the jowls and hollowness in my face. I chose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. I did not want to take any chances with my face.

I had a SMAS facelift about 1 1/2 week ago and I have 2 deep indentations on each side of my face. I've never heard of this happening before. The surgeon said that this was not caused by sutures, but will not directly answer as to what it is. I would like to know what would cause it and whether it will heal and disappear.

I cannot recommend doctor until I know the outcome of my procedure and whether the dimpling will resolve itself.

Is there an UPDATE to your outcome to view??
I put new pics up a few months ago, so they show my results after 1 year. Check out the new pics, you can tell they are new if my hair is brown !
you have every right to share your experience and opinion, there is nothing slanderous about it. He is trying to intimidate you and I say let him sue you, its his money and will be his loss. As long as you have before pics clearly documenting that the dents weren't there before surgery you are fine. As far as more surgery maybe for the time being you can have a little dermal filler injected to alleviate the recess and buy you time to find someone you really trust. Good luck we are all pulling for you. ps report him to the ama just for being callous and threatning.
ps- I have little tiny dent to the left of my nose that wasn't there before either, but I chose not to make a thing of it cuz its so small. So I think it is something they do in the process of the operation that causes it.....
it appears that the surgeon may not have elevated the skin far enough to me
HIPPA regulations are to protect patient confidentiality. If your doctor has threatened you, report him the the state board of licensure. You can state whatever you like about your experience with this doctor, on the Internet or however you choose. Believe me a letter to the state board will go a long way. So will a letter from a lawyer to the doctor and a copy to the State Board.!
What he said about the Internet is how he feels about it but that's all it is. The Internet is not "different" when it comes to free speech. Your opinion about your results are not slander because they are your opinion regarding whether or not you are satisfied as a consumer. Your story is your story to tell, not someone else's to control. People can sue anyone they want, but most cases are thrown out from the get-go for lacking substance, and of those that are allowed to go forward, it doesn't mean a guaranteed win. He is just trying go intimidate you. He's lucky it wasn't someone like me he threatened, because I'd have immediately reported him to every board and council he belongs to and all oversight agencies, and I would be spreading the word far and wide, across the Internet that he'd threatened me!

First dentists and now doctors are starting to use these agreements to force patients into silence regardless of the treatment they receive, but courts are throwing them out thus far. It isn't legal to coerce into or demand that patients give up their rights so they've not been holding up in courts.
I told my doctor it didn't seem legal that he could block my right to free speech and he said the internet was different. Normally, what is posted cannot be removed and that negative comments circulated to millions without the chance for the doctor to rebuttal due to HIPPA regulations was no more than slander. The basic point is "he has more money for the court system than I do." However, RealSelf allows personal messaging and what is said there is private. If anyone is looking for a plastic surgeon in Oklahoma City they can email me privately for the name. I've learned that a "friendly salesman" or "good friend" or "church goer" does not necessarily mean a skilled surgeon. Just cause you "like the guy" isn't enough. Now that I'm open about my face lift I seem to meet so, so, so many people that will share their results and their experience. For revision work I'm taking my time to really shop around. Although, it's tough finding someone with the experience to take on another doctors botch job.
NHaven, I'm looking for a PS for the same procedure you had, and after seeing some of your postings I'm now afraid I saw the same OKC doctor for a consult. I'd like to take you up on your offer to let me know (privately) who did your surgery, but I'm not sure how to do that. Any help would be very appreciated!
Dentists around the country have started using those agreement forms, but courts have been throwing them out because contracts requiring peoplemtomgive up their rights are i
unenforceable.
NHaven, it is deplorable that your doctor threatened you because of your postings. When you signed the "gag order", your doctor's nurse said that he couldn't take any action against you, correct? The fact that your doctor had to threaten to sue you after reading that on your post is a CLEAR indication to me that threatening you is the ONLY option he has! If he had grounds to actually sue you, he would have just done so instead of using such a foul scare tactic. My dear, while you doctor may have more money than you, once his name gets out, his reputation will be very negatively affected. The fact that he threatened you means that HE is scared of what YOU could do! Anything you say is only an opinion based on your experience - which you have a RIGHT to express!! Shame on your doctor!! A person with the privilege of having such an education should behave better ... this man sounds like a thug with a little bit of skill in a white coat! Forgive me for ranting, but his behavior towards you has really made me angry!!
I would file a complaint against the doctor with the state, his regulatory board,and his professional organization that provides ethics oversight, for harassing you with threats and invading your private life, which is what your posts online is-your private life.
I can't understand why people today are getting this type of work done. It's dangerous and many folks even movie starts come out looking terrible. It doesn't make you look 25 you just look like a woman/man that had work. It's shallow in my opinion to be so obsessed about one's face and so what if you have some aging. People are ridiculous today.
Lisa, I felt the same way after a couple of hours on this site. Then I realized that this is the site where people with problems blog and look for answers. More than half of the complaints are within a month past surgery and the patients do not understand that most of the problems will go away over several months. The point about Board Certified PS is critical, as there are many non certified doctors out there doing these PS procedures. Done with the right surgeon, PS can be terrific. No one expects to look 25, but most of us are pleased with looking a GOOD 65. There are not many people who have no concern about their looks.
It has been a full two years for me. The problems did not improve and I still have a huge scar under my chin all the way to the top of my throat. I paid over $18,000.00 for the privilege. Regardless of whether anyone thinks such surgeries are necessary, doctors market them heavily and they should be honest instead minimizing, glossing over, and refraining from informing potential patiets of the possible negative outcomes. They are physicians. It is unethical.
Amen ! I am 53, keep my weight right, eat well, spend time on my mental, spiritual and physical health and I resent someone saying that is vain. I have had positive experiences with PS's. I had my upper and lower lids done years ago after a long hard personal trauma which aged me and it is still holding up well and I felt a new life breathed into my spirit because of it. I just had a full on facelift and am so grateful I have the resources to do it, it makes me want to keep healthy and fit and to keep my mind youthful , not young ! We are just preserving what nature gave us !! Thanks for your positivity
I would ask why you are on this site which is clearly for people who are interested in maintaining their appearance. No one thinks it makes them look 25 and it surely does not make one shallow to put as much effort into appearance as they do to physical, mental, emotional and spiritual self. I may be wrong in your case but typically I find people who make these comments are young enough not to have had much aging to deal with. Good luck to you but I would say butt out.
ps this was for Lisa... I am truly sorry for anyone who had results that caused them pain, suffering or loss of faith in their doctor. I really hope you all recover and find the way to get what you need.
Why are you here then? Perhaps looking at getting boobs done or something else? You are on here for a reason,,looking to get something done. Your comment is ridiculous
I went in for a mini facelift and I woke up with a facelift. I was told it was a SMAS lift. The surgeon left me with what another surgeon said was the worst possible thing that can happen to the face. I have been told the muscles were severed along with the 5 and 7 nerve. My face is going to end up with full muscle loss and complete nerve damage. I need help?
Is there any way to correct the outcome? Was your original surgeon board certified in plastic surgery? I pray for your full recovery.
I am so very to hear of this story. Sounds like your Dr. was very irresponsible. There are ways they work around nerves/muscles so as not to disturb them. They usually do not expose them in order to protect them so that severing is impossible. I think you should look into suing. Even though there are signed agreements, there are also exceptions such as negligence and unqualified. I wish you much luck!
Even if your doctor made you sign a gag order, I doubt that he could enforce it. About the area that is raised and itchy, it sounds to me like it is becoming scar tissue. I also got the impression that my doctor was rushed. The sutures were sloppy and looked very different on both sides!
One thing that I find very frustrating is that some doctors now do not want to show pictures of procedures that they have performed. They use the excuse of patient privacy laws. The problem with that is that you don't know what kind of results to expect. For instance, I did not expect to have raised scars behind my ears. I have had surgeries in other parts of my body in the past and I never had raised scars. My sister did not have raised scars after her facelift. I was surprised and disappointed at the quality of the sutures!
I agree. And, my doctor made me sign a paper that is a gag order. I said I felt that violated my right to free speech and his nurse said they couldn't really do anything to me anyway. About scaring, my doctor did well with the suture lines around my ears, but the spot that he did in his office to release the pucker on my cheek is raised and itchy. It's been two months since he did that and I think bad sutures are just plain sloppy. Obviously he had the talent to do better, just rushed.