Face Dimpling After SMAS Facelift for Jowls/hollowness

At my age it was getting to be time to do...

At my age it was getting to be time to do something about the jowls and hollowness in my face. I chose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. I did not want to take any chances with my face.

I had a SMAS facelift about 1 1/2 week ago and I have 2 deep indentations on each side of my face. I've never heard of this happening before. The surgeon said that this was not caused by sutures, but will not directly answer as to what it is. I would like to know what would cause it and whether it will heal and disappear.

Face Dimpling After SMAS Facelift For Jowls/Hollowness

The dimpling on the side of my face is much better. However, I can still see it clearly and I can also feel adhesion in those areas. I have thought about fat grafting in the future as I feel that my skin will wrinkle in those areas as I age. As of now, I don't think it is too obvious to others, but I still wear my hair long and it covers the side of my face. I wouldn't go to that same doctor again. I believe plastic surgery requires an artistic hand and I don't think he is gifted. I feel for all of you and I pray that your results do get better with time.

I cannot recommend doctor until I know the outcome of my procedure and whether the dimpling will resolve itself.

Thanks for your update!
You are welcome, Angiemcc.
You had the surgery in 09 and now in '14 you're considering fat grafting "in the future" to fill the indentations that have been there for 5 yrs. Is the timeline on these post accurate? I was going to ask if you had excessive bruising or a seroma or hematoma both of which can cause scar tissue and adhesions but having them on both sides in exactly the same spot sounds much more like it was caused by a technique used in the procedure. And these so-called agreements pretty much serve as a barrier to treatment. I had to sign one before my an eye exam for a tear duct issue. Didn't know anything about such a promise to keep quiet if they blinded me until i had shown up for the appointment. What are you going to do at that point~ have a philosophical discussion with the receptionist. Think Carol Burnett as Ms Wiggins...grace
Excuse me, grace60. Do I detect some sarcasm? As I said in my post, "I don't think it is too obvious to others." I only posted here because I got messages from people asking how the results of my surgery looks now. I'm not under any obligation to comment here at all, but I did to help those people. It sounds to me like you may have some other issues.
Does it matter? People come and go.
I posed this comment is posted in the wrong spot. It wasn't intended for grace60 or sugartime. realself really should join the 21st century when it comes to their comment section and make it editable by its users.
Gag agreements do not hold up in court when there is negligence or abuse involved. Those contracts are just lame scare tactics physicians use to intimidate patients into taking legal action against them. They cannot take away your fundamental legal rights, as much as they may wish to do so. Good luck!
I meant to write, to intimidate patients into not taking legal action against them.
Does anyone realize this conversation was started in 2011?
Does it matter? People come and go.
Is there an UPDATE to your outcome to view??
I put new pics up a few months ago, so they show my results after 1 year. Check out the new pics, you can tell they are new if my hair is brown !
you have every right to share your experience and opinion, there is nothing slanderous about it. He is trying to intimidate you and I say let him sue you, its his money and will be his loss. As long as you have before pics clearly documenting that the dents weren't there before surgery you are fine. As far as more surgery maybe for the time being you can have a little dermal filler injected to alleviate the recess and buy you time to find someone you really trust. Good luck we are all pulling for you. ps report him to the ama just for being callous and threatning.
ps- I have little tiny dent to the left of my nose that wasn't there before either, but I chose not to make a thing of it cuz its so small. So I think it is something they do in the process of the operation that causes it.....
it appears that the surgeon may not have elevated the skin far enough to me
HIPPA regulations are to protect patient confidentiality. If your doctor has threatened you, report him the the state board of licensure. You can state whatever you like about your experience with this doctor, on the Internet or however you choose. Believe me a letter to the state board will go a long way. So will a letter from a lawyer to the doctor and a copy to the State Board.!
What he said about the Internet is how he feels about it but that's all it is. The Internet is not "different" when it comes to free speech. Your opinion about your results are not slander because they are your opinion regarding whether or not you are satisfied as a consumer. Your story is your story to tell, not someone else's to control. People can sue anyone they want, but most cases are thrown out from the get-go for lacking substance, and of those that are allowed to go forward, it doesn't mean a guaranteed win. He is just trying go intimidate you. He's lucky it wasn't someone like me he threatened, because I'd have immediately reported him to every board and council he belongs to and all oversight agencies, and I would be spreading the word far and wide, across the Internet that he'd threatened me!

First dentists and now doctors are starting to use these agreements to force patients into silence regardless of the treatment they receive, but courts are throwing them out thus far. It isn't legal to coerce into or demand that patients give up their rights so they've not been holding up in courts.
I told my doctor it didn't seem legal that he could block my right to free speech and he said the internet was different. Normally, what is posted cannot be removed and that negative comments circulated to millions without the chance for the doctor to rebuttal due to HIPPA regulations was no more than slander. The basic point is "he has more money for the court system than I do." However, RealSelf allows personal messaging and what is said there is private. If anyone is looking for a plastic surgeon in Oklahoma City they can email me privately for the name. I've learned that a "friendly salesman" or "good friend" or "church goer" does not necessarily mean a skilled surgeon. Just cause you "like the guy" isn't enough. Now that I'm open about my face lift I seem to meet so, so, so many people that will share their results and their experience. For revision work I'm taking my time to really shop around. Although, it's tough finding someone with the experience to take on another doctors botch job.
NHaven, I'm looking for a PS for the same procedure you had, and after seeing some of your postings I'm now afraid I saw the same OKC doctor for a consult. I'd like to take you up on your offer to let me know (privately) who did your surgery, but I'm not sure how to do that. Any help would be very appreciated!
Just click on the person's name and it gives you the option to send a private message. I really think it is important to see doctor's work and actual patient pictures before getting any treatment. I wish Real Self would let us edit comments as well; why are there so many duplications? I see that in a lot of threads here and get's very confusing to follow.
Dentists around the country have started using those agreement forms, but courts have been throwing them out because contracts requiring peoplemtomgive up their rights are i
unenforceable.
Something clearly looks off but without good before and after pictures, not sure how much recourse she would have in a legal sense. Any doctor with integrity would try to fix the problem; although I don't think I would want that doctor to do anything other than try some filler. Also, If she did publish clearer before and after pictures, why shouldn't she be able to publish his name? Yes, very frustrating to not be able to edit our comments.
NHaven, it is deplorable that your doctor threatened you because of your postings. When you signed the "gag order", your doctor's nurse said that he couldn't take any action against you, correct? The fact that your doctor had to threaten to sue you after reading that on your post is a CLEAR indication to me that threatening you is the ONLY option he has! If he had grounds to actually sue you, he would have just done so instead of using such a foul scare tactic. My dear, while you doctor may have more money than you, once his name gets out, his reputation will be very negatively affected. The fact that he threatened you means that HE is scared of what YOU could do! Anything you say is only an opinion based on your experience - which you have a RIGHT to express!! Shame on your doctor!! A person with the privilege of having such an education should behave better ... this man sounds like a thug with a little bit of skill in a white coat! Forgive me for ranting, but his behavior towards you has really made me angry!!
I would file a complaint against the doctor with the state, his regulatory board,and his professional organization that provides ethics oversight, for harassing you with threats and invading your private life, which is what your posts online is-your private life.