Horrible Experience I Would Never Do Again

I had my face lift on March 13 and from the second...

I had my face lift on March 13 and from the second day on it has been a complete nightmare. The second day I could not even lift my head up my neck hurt so bad. I had to get a pill for pain that was stronger than the ones they first gave me. Then at the end of the first week I started throwing up and threw up for 10 hours straight and had to go to the er.

They let me go home but I was bed bound for 1 week and couch bound for 1 week. I was so ill I couldnt even stand up for any length of time and eating was out the question. I went from 113 pounds to 102. On top of all of this my left side exploded and it went from left ear all the way down my neck. I still have it and am still trying to cure it.

My own doctor looked at it and was shocked at what she saw and ordered me a med that would help to heal it. Why didnt my Plastic Surgeon order something?

They took a pretty woman and scared her. I suppose I look younger since they did my neck and lifted my eyes with a brow lift but right now I am so sick of trying to heal this stupid thing on my left side. I am going to Vegas in Sept for my grandaughter's wedding and I dont think it will be healed by then.

My daughter is going to be so upset when she sees my neck. She and her brother both told me not to do it but I was determined to do it.

I had a miserable experience and wouldnt wish it on anyone.

I had a mini brow lift on my right side 6 weeks ago. My problem concerned a lack of muscle strength in the right eye due to blindness. After 3 weeks I returned to the plastic surgeon due to a spongy bump were a stich had been. He called it a white abcess and stuck a needle in it. it would not heal and last night the artery blew. I thought I would bleed out. The ER patched me up but my surgeon did not answer his page. I went to his office today and he said not to worry the ER did a good job and see him in a week to have the stiches removed. I live alone and it will be difficult 4 me to sleep this next week.
roy1957
please tell us your story..
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of your complaint. You had bad surgery or you are simply going through the recovery hell of surgery? Your reaction to the surgery has nothing to do with 'bad' work or a bad surgeon as far as I can make out, who everyone now wants the name of to avoid going to. Its simply the way your body is reacting and healing to surgery. Let's be real: in a facelift they basically LIFT your face and skin off, cut it as much as they can and tighten it back again. You can imagine all the nerves in the face and the tissue getting ripped when this is done and what shock your body has to the trauma! I am not sure why people assume serious plastic surgery should be easy to go through and complain when they suffer and have pain. It's major surgery people. I consider plastic surgery so overrated. Not to mention the awful recovery period which always seem to total a year no matter what procedure we're looking at. Then, that some people have so much more pain and hassles than others. Its all the realities of surgery.
I had a lower neck/face-lift as well as eyelid work some 20 years ago... when I was just 25 years old. I had no idea how severe the surgery would be, I looked puffy and not right for over a year. I feel after the first year that I look much better and it was worth it (cost around $5,000 back then).
hi could i know whos ur doctor please?
Hi. Your comments are very interesting and appreciated. I had a lower face-neck lift 17 days ago. I'm confused about the scabs where my sutures/staples were. Should I try to wash them out? Leave them alone? I'm afraid I might have sutures hidden in the scabs that will be bad for me later. What do you think?? Many thanks in Phoenix, AZ

After studying and speaking to many iconic plastic surgeons, I would not have a lifestyle lift, period! To me, it's like considering a band-aid for a major procedure. For the last six months I have been in the office of a well known plastic surgeon and I have witnessed the major problems with the quick fix or microwave approaches. My surgeon has had to repair and end up doing a full face lift on most patients who elected the lifestyle lift with other surgeons.

This is my experience for what it is worth: Ask questions and speak to patients of the doctor you are interviewing. Check the doctor out! No doctor and I mean none should ever bandage a patient after a face lift, brow lift or lifestyle lift! This is critical. Ask your doctor if he or she bandages after surgery. If they say yes, leave and interview another doctor. I had a facelift and brow lift combo. Had my doctor bandaged me after the procedures, I would have bled to death for I had an artery to burst 30 minutes after my surgery. Thank God my surgeon stayed around after my surgery and did not use bandages, which would have hidden my bleeder! I am a firm believer-"If you are considering something major as plastic surgery, do it right the first time!" No quick fixes here! When interviewing the doctor's patients, focus in on the stitch sites! If there are visible scars after 8 months, most likely the doctor did not take the time to do the best job! Ask how many hours the procedure will last. A good face lift and brow lift combo will take about 7 and 1/2 hours if the doctor is doing it correctly! Remember you are not his patient just to make him money; you have elected to do this for results which should last for awhile! The old facelift just pulled the upper layer of skin, which I call the wind tunnel look. Today attention is placed on the underlying tissue, as well. I do not like the endoscopic approach. I want a surgeon to be very gentle with my tissue. With my face lift and brow lift, I had very little bruising. I did experience swelling which is normal. Most importantly I have learned not to look in the mirror every day. Give yourself time to heal! Good luck and remember, there are only a few Great Plastic Surgeons!

Thanks for the advice. Its so important to research a doctor. My skin is completely ruined by Fraxel laser, and has premature aging after treatments, my face started to develop deep jowls (like a 64 year old, and I'm 40!) and drop. I am trying to find if a facelift will help but I am scared of doing more medical damage to my face and skin. I am devastated with the effect of Fraxel and don't recommend it to anyone. It should be banned by the FDA. The manufacturer seems to be filling the board with fake reviews claiming it to be painless and effective, while in the past Fraxel had less than 15% positive reviews on here.
If you could list YOUR "Great Plastic Surgeons" How would your list look?

i am trying to find out if anyone is familiar with dr frank catalfumo? i am scheduled for a lifestyle lift.

Hello, My rhytidectomy (mini) was performed three yrs ago. I am now on perm. disability as a result. you have my empathy and report the plastic surgeon if you can publicly on internet.
It's very sad to say but most doctors only wants the money. After the facelift and removal of stickes this is what my doctor said "everything looks ok I'll see you in 3 months for the after pictures". After pictures when he even know the face still swollen (to his advantage). I had my facelift 2 months ago and my face is very swollen and it feels like the skin is streching out.
I agree with the others, the doctors name would help others not have to go through what you state you went through.
Yes, by all means,name your doctor. It may help others living in your area whom want this procedure. It is our only consumer report guild on plastic surgeries.
if your experience was so horrible why not save others from having an equally bad outcome...PLEASE MENTION THE DOCTORS NAME!
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-