Eye-lid Surgery Leads to Blindness

Is this normal: I had bi lateral upper-eyelid...

Is this normal: I had bi lateral upper-eyelid blepharoplasty back in July. Sent home with eye drops. Very sore 'left' eyeball. Three weeks later, admitted into ER with chronic head and eye pain, serious infection. I am now blind in this eye. It appears I have a perforated eyeball, caused during surgery.

As my question explains, I have not had a pleasant time. I have endured four further eye surgeries to correct my eye problems. I am left without sight in one eye.

Is this a risk factor for blepharoplasty or a case of malpractice?

Due to problems experienced during surgery.

My surgery was perfomed due to years of suffering with dry eyes. It was not done in vain. However, the surgeon has been investigated and has admitted piercing the eyeball with a colorado needle during surgery. Retina has attached slightly and a small amount of light is experienced through this damaged eye. I am now receiving very good advice on the next steps. I will keep you posted.
Retrobulbar bleeding is a rare complication of eyelid surgery. The data shows it occurs 1 out of 3000 to 5000 cases. It can lead to vision loss. Every patient I operate on their eyelids I tell them " Having surgery on your eye has risks just like driving a car. When you drive there is a rare risk that a truck will hit you and kill you. Just like that, eyelid surgery has the rare risk of vision loss" I am not sure what your doctor told you and whether this was recognized in time. If it is recognized early the bleeding can be released usually without visual compromise. I tell patients in the postoperative period if they are having any unusual loss of vision, sudden swelling of the eye, extreme pain..to call me on my cell phone immediately. I am sorry for your eye. It must be terrible. I am not sure if it is a legal matter however.
Hello TheTruthWill, I've read about your terrible experience on different comments. I am so very sorry this happened to you. I too had a negative outcome from a surgery that promised to give me a youthful positive look.I discovered the same as you, "Not all physicians are created equal".There are many Oculoplastic/Plastic Surgeons. I've seen some that do excellent work and they know what they are doing.It is there specialty,(eyes). Then there are others, but that is in all fields. Cosmetic is usually our face,and it is so important to get that Right, and painfully disturbing,depressive when gotten wrong.I have experienced every form of emotional horror.Sadness, rage,guilt and yes, even thoughts of suicide from the outcome of my procedure performed 8 years ago.We go through a mourning process and It is something I may never totally recover from emotionally. Now I seek reversion with caution and patience. I believe I have found a surgeon. I'm taking my changes one step at a time. Not being a wealthy woman, it has also taken along time for me to save for any reversion.But I posted a question and pic's on what could be done as my first step. I got many replies and went with those that showed the most positive and long term solution.Then I started to seek a plastic surgeron in my area with those skills and experience.My message to you, "DON'T GIVE UP". Yes, voice how you feel, shout this doctors name out for everyone to read. I did. They can do wonders with Laser now a days. Chemical peels may also help with scarring. I'm not a professional, but there has got to be an alternative for your situation. Neither of us, will ever look like we once did. No one really does as they age. But if we can get some recognition, resemblance of our old selves back it would be a blessing for me. This sight was a god sent. A shot in my arm, so to speak.I found I wasn't alone.But it also has away of bringing back painful and fearful emotions. So don't dwell to long on your issues, but try and work through them on "What Can be Done Next".I don't go out much, it too is one of the negative effects this surgery left. But if you don't mind, I'd like to do some research and see what I come up with on reversions for your situation. Not all are over the top in expense. You do what you can with what you have. I am doing what I can financially afford for now. I also receive private e-mails through here. If you want, I would like to view a pic of you eyes, to see exactly what the scares look like and help you find what is available in reversions.If that is what you want. For me it is a frightening thing. I am afraid it could leave me worse off.We become shell shock in away. But the qualitiy of my life is so poor now, my self esteem has been gone for so long, It can't hurt anything, any worse.Believe it not, there are still some fine physicians that do "pro bono" work out here.Others are honest, tell you what you can expect, and some even work with you financially. In any case I wish you nothing but the best for tomorrow.
I got loads of scars from my eyelid surgery. The doctor called himself an oculoplastic doctor. I got scars everywhere and he used me for some kind of facial surgery experiment without my consent. He should have discussed with me about what he is planning on to do to me and I would have said "no thanks" and just let him keep the money. I cannot even get the problem fix cuz he make so much ugly deep incisions all over my eyes and outside of my eyes, into my eyebrow, on my forehead, and to the sides of each of my eyes. I am glad I have forums like this air the truth out to people, so they are aware of evil doctors are out there.
Thank you very much for your advice, I am currently taking advice and will keep posting.
Hello Lucy, I agree with t37352. Those consent forms are as good as the paper there wrote on, or the doctor performing your surgery. As they should be. Plastic surgery malpractice can be a tricky with plastic surgery, because you elected to have this done. Juries are not always sympathetic to a woman whom they consider Vain. "However",coming out of any surgery scarred,deformed and permanently disabled is something else. Especially if this surgeon professes to be a skilled, licensed,and experienced in the field he practices and advertise his services. Most are, and very aware of the hazards involved in all procedures,therefore they take and make sure all procedures are done with up most security in precautionary measures,plus in there own abilities,equipment,and assistants surrounding and involved in your particular surgery. Needless to say, things can always go wrong.No surgeries are guaranteed for 100% positive outcomes. However,routinely performed procedures,by a surgeon skilled and experience in that field generally go very well, with no long lasting effects. Then there are surgeons that are aggressive,impatient, inexperienced and neglectful. Here is Malpractice defined: In law, malpractice is a type of negligence in which the misfeasance, malfeasance or nonfeasance of a professional, under a duty to act, fails to follow generally accepted professional standards, and that breach of duty is the proximate cause of injury to a plaintiff who suffers damages. It is committed by a professional or her/his subordinates or agents on behalf of a client or patient that causes damages to the client or patient. Perhaps the most publicized forms are medical malpractice and legal malpractice by medical practitioners and lawyers respectively, though malpractice suits against accountants (Arthur Andersen) and investment advisors (Merrill Lynch) have featured in the news more recently. Negligence is the KEYE Word here, but compensation can be rendered for certain area pertaining to your individual case.Blindness is #1. CALL AND MAKE a consultation with a good attorney.They are free. He can tell you more about this,but I believe you may have a case. Also, please let others know this doctors name.You can go back and put in this review. There are many fine, skilled doctors out there and on this Sight. Many on RealSelf have helped me in answering questions about my own reversion surgery options. However,there are also doctors whom should retire from practice,not perform certain procedures,go back to school,or not be able to ever touch another human being with a scalpel.Don't expect another surgeon to side,or answer with much information over this question. Here is where laws are set up, attorneys and juries are elected to make these decisions. I am so sorry this happened to you. I've read many horror stories on different plastic surgeries, mine was not a positive one either. However, when I read where someone is left permanently disabled,I get more concerned,and feel it should be investigated. Trust me,if this doctor has had other complaints,or knows he was wrong or neglectful,you will get an "offer to settle". And they usually come with a gag order. I hope you don't settle if neglect is founded. Any good reputable doctor stands behinds his educated and knowledgeable practice, experience and trained skills. Hope this was of some help. Hope you let us know how things go,and are here to help in our small way. Good Luck.
Mr. Seify, with all due respect, your "answer" to this poor ladies question is plain silly! I am sure Lucy read the consent for surgery! YES Lucy 1962 this is a case of malpractice! I have never sued any "DR" or "MD" before, but in your case...I would go all the way! Good luck
I'm sorry to hear about your complication. Blindness and infection are of the most feared complications of blepharoplasty. The informed consent for surgery include them but They are very rare to occur.