Effect of Inactivity After OP on Liposuction Results

Hi, about 9 weeks ago I had liposuction done on my...

Hi, about 9 weeks ago I had liposuction done on my hips, bottom and inner thighs. I am overall pleased with the results but I have a few concerns regarding the final results.

I'm currently inactive at my desk for about 12 hours a day nor am I able to do any excercise atm. I'm concerned that this inactivity will affect the final results of my liposuction, because my doctor always emphasised the importance of sport for the best possible results.

Will it take longer to fully recover because of inactivity? Will the risk of getting cellulite be higher? Also, I'm noticing that a measure of discomfort is starting to return to the areas that were operated on. Is this normal?

I always felt that my doctor was in a rush. Each appointment I had prior to and after the OP I would have a list of questions prepared but I would never get through them because he seemed to be in a rush and always ended the discussion abruptly before I was done. Furthermore I am not 100% satisfied with the result.

Also, to address your concern about the appearance of cellulite, YES, if you sit for hours a day, you will likely have more cellulite. Why? Because part of the reason it forms is due to low blood circulation. Inactivity also weakens the cellular walls of your fat cells and the veins that supply blood to the area. The result is bulging and uneven-shaped fat cells held together by increasingly distorted collagen strands, hence more obvious ripples and "orange peel" effect at the surface. It's the fat layer just under our skin that produces cellulite, BUT, there are 2 deeper layers of fat below that subcutaneous layer which will also expand when you are inactive. These lower layers of fat push up against the subcutaneous layer and the result is noticeable cellulite. So any way you look at this equation, you need to get active again. Repeat that like a mantra and DO it.
Joeesk1, Yes. Sitting will compromise your long-term results plus fitness. It's a fact that no activity for just 4 days will cause muscle atrophy, and a recent study on elders (which applies to us ALL) found that 2 weeks of bedrest translated to NO activity for 15 years. Yes! Scary. I think you are feeling discomfort now because the scar tissue that remains after lipo has not been manipulated, stimulated or softened at all with activity. Scar tissue impedes the flow of blood, and without blood, it can become HARD, and actually pull on the soft tissues around it. That's why physical therapists often have patients with injuries roll on those styrofoam logs - to literally break down and soften the scar tissue. This scar tissue will be with you for LIFE. So if you don't get active and at least massage it pretty vigorously you'll be in for more pain. Good luck to you. Don't make excuses. Just get off your duffer and make time for YOU and your long-term comfort.
Hi, I would think that perhaps what is happening is that you are losing muscle from inactivity and this is what you are seeing, not necessarily that you are going backwards from the procedure. You probably would have felt this happening whether you had the procedure or not.
you should definitely not be going backwards with your healing. You say you are a martial artist, did you go back to training too soon? I know I kinda did myself, but I let my Shihan know that I had the surgery and he would only let me do blocks and punches etc, no throws kicks etc. Call your doc if you are having symptoms and go in for an appointment, do not rely on the staff to relay your concerns.
that does not seem right to me either.. you should be getting better with time not going backwards.. have you talked to your docter? if so what did they say? you seem to be an active person and know how to keep healthy . tho to be feeling good and then not is not a good sign but also remember it has only been 9 weeks. i am 5 weeks and my skin is still tender to the touch.i would definatly have it checked out just to be sure.. good luck
thanx for your responses but I don't think i phrased my question quite right... I am concerned that the amount of sitting will affect the final results. As I mentioned above, i didnt really experience much pain after my OP, and the discomfort disappeared quickly. However it is starting to return and I don't know why. And this 9 weeks Post-OP, i'm pretty sure this isn't normal. The issue is not that i'm putting on weight (or worried about it) due to inactivity...i eat healthily and go everywhere on foot so i do get a bit of light 'exercise' in each day. I am however used to doing rather intensive sport (rock climbing/running/martial arts) 4-5 times a week for 1-2 hours on average. However I simply don't have time for this right now and I am spending alot more time sitting and writing than I usually would. Is it possible that this extended 'sitting' may be causing the return of discomfort to the operated areas?
You must get active. A sedentary lifetyle is the root of most disease. Go buy a gym membership, and then use it. Often times if you are payng for a gym membership you are more likely to use it if you see that money caharged to your credit card every month. There are all kinds of great fitness classes at gym's these days, there is really no reason why you cannot find something you enjoy at a gym. All you need is about an hour of solid exercise. Why waste all the money you have put out for the surgery to not treat your body right post-op???????
inactivity is the cause of weight gain no matter what we do.. for general health we need to be active not only for our shape but for our cardiovascular system. liposuction is not a cure all the way i look at is it's a jump start. i am almost 5 weeks post op and just started back at the gym and i feel great. if you are at a desk all day for work then you really have to make the time to be active after work or before.. take a walk at your lunch breaks.. really being active is the key not lipo.. good luck