Dysport First (And Only) Time - Around Eyes and Forehead

Procedure: Dysport at a medspa near Seattle five...

Procedure: Dysport at a medspa near Seattle five days ago. First time for me. I was told that the doctor has been there for seven years.

Pro: My forehead is smooth

Cons: I now have what's known as "tear trough deformity", something I did not have before the procedure. When I smile (and I used to smile a lot) my cheeks bump into the troughs (making them very deep) and my "smile lines" go straight across my face. I look terrible.

Several family members and friends have asked what happened to my eyes. Even though they didn't know I had the Dysport done, they knew I looked weird. I am especially sad because I am now feel self-conscious when I smile. I am a teacher. My students deserve lots and lots of smiles.

I had Dysport applied to my forehead and around my eyes five days ago. On the second morning I awoke to a smooth forehead and large, deep, cresent-shaped indentations (I've since discovered they're called tear troughs) under my eyes. These were not there prior to the Dysport. Even worse, when I smile fully, my cheeks now slide up and bang into these trenches (making them extra deep) sending deformed "smile" lines straight across my cheeks. Not only do I look much older than before, I look weird. Did the Dysport migrate to the wrong muscles? What should I do now? The doctor at the spa wants to inject fillers, but I wouldn't dream of letting him near me with another needle. I suspect you'll tell me I have to wait for this to wear off. I've studied my face, and I truly believe the tear trough deformity will be permanent by then.

Hello, I also recently had botox and the Dr. wanted to put some filler in the crease of my eyebrows, but now the muscle is parylyzed and it keeps pulling my eye back into place causing blurred and double vision. Has anyone experienced this? It is very scary. Thank you for any imput.
I had botox and fillers a few times with excellent results. I am not too sure whether to try Dysport for longer lasting effect. I think that the key is the specialist who injects it. I always go to the plastic surgeon.
PLEASE REPORT YOUR ADVERSE EVENT WITH BOTOX/DYSPORT(AND ANY SIDE EFFECTS YOU ARE EXPERIENCING) TO THE FDA. The link for online reporting to the FDA is: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medwatch/medwatch-online.htm It is only through vigilant reporting that the true results of Botox and Dysport will ever be documented, assessed and reported accurately. An 'adverse event' includes a bad cosmetic outcome, even if it is due to poor injecting technique. Most people do not bother to report bad cosmetic outcomes and this allows doctors to contine to claim how safe and effective Botox and Dysport are unchallenged. Even if the products themselves are 'safe', maybe there should be more restrictions on who is allowed to inject them. I think there should. Waiting for months and months for a bad cosmetic effect from Botox or Dysport to wear off is definitely an adverse event that affects your life and should be reported.
did your face ever go back to normal? dyport has ruined my face and im freaking out
My advice is not to have filler to try to camouflage it. This will probably only make it worse. I have filler in tear troughs and it makes no difference to the Botox Chipmunk whatsoever. In fact, I think it makes it MORE visible. As for the rest of us, only time will help. I too am very concerned that by the time my product wears off that the damage will be permanent or at least there will have been a permanent change. I just cannot see how my eye muscle is going to be able to pull all of my facial fat back up my face against gravity when it finally re-engages after being paralysed for so long. This would seem impossible! I have an appointment with a facial paralysis specialist next week who helps people reanimate their faces after Bell's palsy etc. I realise Botox/Dysport paralysis is different but I want his advice about whether there is anything I can do to make this horror recover more quickly. I will let you know what he says.
Let me know what he tells you since I also have paralysis from Dysport/Fraxel treatment and am anxious to know what I can do to hasten healing.
Hi Escondido - sorry, no joy with finding anything to hasten healing and recovery. Time, time, time seems to be the only answer. I feel your pain as it has been 8 long weeks for me and many, many more to go. Sorry I don't have better news. Cheers.
did your face ever go back to normal? im freaking out! my face is ruined from dysport
Absolutely back to normal...it took about three and a half months to do so! The idiot doctor should have known better than to do disport and fillers on the same day she did the facial peel! Oh well!
There is literally nothing you can do....but it wears off after a few months! Sorry for the negative reply, but that's what happened to me!
Hi Stillevolving - I think you have what is known as the "Botox Chipmunk" but I suppose it applies equally to Dysport. I have it at the moment too. Read my review. See Botox review posts from Amaxy, Beth F and Learning. We all have it. The look occurs after incorrect injections or too much product for crows feet. I am assuming you had treatment for crows feet when you had Dysport 'around your eyes'. When too much Botox/Dysport is injected into the eye muscle it causes the eye muscle to become overly weakened. Alternatively, if the product is injected in the wrong place (too laterally or too medially) the chipmunk look can occur too because the wrong part of the eye muscle is paralysed. By too laterally or too medially, I mean that when the product is administered under outer corner of the eye, the shots are not placed far out enough towards your hairline or they are placed too far down the face. The lower part of your eye muscle holds up your cheek and facial fat. If this part of the muscle becomes overly paralysed it flattens out and no longer has the strength to hold up the fat. The cheek/facial fat droops down your face. Further, the eye muscle holds back herniated fat under your eyes. This may now be exposed because it has been weakened too much causing what you describe as a 'tear trough deformity'. When this happens AND product has been injected in the bunny lines area on either side of the nose, the look can become even worse. Additionally, Dysport spreads further than Botox when injected so it is also possible that the crows feet injections accidentally paralysed your cheek levatator muscle. If I have guessed correctly, then let me try to describe your 'weird' look to you. WHEN YOUR FACE IS AT REST: you appear to have bags or shadows under your eyes that were not there before; your face looks much fuller at the bottom because your facial fat is sitting lower; your nasolabial folds may be more pronounced; if you had visible cheek bones before then you probably don't now; the skin under the outer corners of your eyes feels loose and flabby and bunches up/shelves if you squint; and your face may appear elongated and flatter from the front. WHEN YOU SMILE: only the front of your face comes up and it almost appears like your cheeks are swollen (the chipmunk); look at yourself from the side when you are smiling - if you drew a line down your face from the outer corner of your eye to the bottom of your face the parts of your face between this line and your ear do not move at all (frozen solid)and there is a visible bunching effect along this line when smiling; the crows feet area actually looks worse when you smile because the skin is now unsupported by muscle underneath and all bunches up in the crows feet area under the outer corners of your eyes and creates lines/folds that look worse than the previous wrinkles; and you may have new horizontal lines under your eyes. Further, when your face is at rest OR when you are smiling, you appear older than you did before. Kind of gaunt like you might have lost some weight? Am I close? Email me through this site if I have guessed correctly and I will give you some further information. Cheers.
I looked in the mirror tonight and to my alarm have chipmunk cheeks 3 days after Dysport injections in my crows feet. 3 previous injections of Botox never rendered this result. This is my first time with Dysport. The wrinkles around my eyes haven't softened - now I just look fatter, older and weird! How long will this effect last and how can I fix it? Does it happen with Botox too?
Hi VJ (Alarmed) - yes the "chipmunk" effect can happen from any muscle paralyser. It is called CHEEK PTOSIS. Google it. Essentially, when too much botox/dysport is injected into the eye muscle for crows feet or the botox/dysport is injected into the wrong place, then the eye muscle flattens out and is no longer strong enough to hold up the facial fat which droops down the face and creates the "chipmunk" swollen cheeks (especially evident when smiling because they puff out to the sides). Your crows feet are gone. The "wrinkles" you are seeing around your eyes are in a similar place to crows feet but they are not crows feet. Crows feet occur because of a working muscle creating lines. Your muscle is not working. The lines you are seeing occur because of the bunching of loose skin over a muscle that does not work because it has been weakened too much. Check if the skin in that area seems looser to you. Unfortunately, cheek ptosis seems to be the bad botox/dysport effect that takes the longest to wear off completely. I don't want to alarm you further but you should be realistic about how long this will take to fix. Read the review from Beth F - it is 7 1/2 months for her and she is just coming good from cheek ptosis now. Amaxy, Petrified, Learning and I all have cheek ptosis. We are all at different stages and we write to each other about it under Beth F's review. Please feel free to join our discussion or send me a private email if you like. I don't think you can fix it with anything but time. I am so sorry to hear that you also have this result as I know how awful it is. There is lots of support here though. Look forward to hearing from you. Cheers
thanks so much for your response. I guess I will just have to wait until the Dysport wears off.
Hi again VJ - I read my reply again and I realise it looks pretty pessimistic. Sorry about that! Although I understand that Beth F is only back to normal after 7+ months, there will be improvements in the meantime! Also, I think how long you will have to wait depends on the severity of the cheek ptosis. Beth, Amaxy, Petrified, Learning and I are all in the 'severe' category. Do you have any puffiness under your eyes? The puffiness/bags under my eyes (especially the left one) was extreme for the first month or so. Now after 8 weeks, I would classify it as high, which means it has improved a little. If you do not have the puffiness/eyebags, then it is possible that your cheek ptosis is not so bad and will therefore wear off more quickly. From what I can gather, protruding bags under the eyes, strange horizontal lines across the protruding bags and a bizarre crepiness of the skin around the eyes are all markers of severe cases of cheek ptosis. Chloerose described it as a 'dented apple'. I have my fingers crossed for you that yours is only mild and will resolve a lot sooner. Keep us updated. Cheers, K
Im on week 4 after my dysport injection and I have cheek ptosis on my left side. After reading the other stories I realize Im not alone. My doctor first tried to blame it on bells palsy. When he admitted that it could possibly be the dysport he then tried to tell me this was the first time hes ever seen or heard of this happening, which is a complete lie. I just want my smile back. I should have researched the side affects before paying someone to destroy my face and my self confidence. Im also very concerned that this could possibly be permanent. HELP!
Hi Michelle - Bell's Palsy??! I certainly looked like I had a stroke and/or Bell's Palsy but it was definitely the botox. It has now been about 8 weeks for you. Any improvement so far? It is 31 weeks for me and I still look very strange. Would love to hear from you. Cheers
Started to see improvement about a week ago. It comes and goes at first I guess its the muscles trying to come back to life. Im so excited to see my smile start to come back. I have a ways to go still but its heading in the right direction. It could be several more weeks or months before it comes back completely. I cant believe its been 31 weeks for you. I know its hard but hang in there. Have you had any improvement at all? Keep me posted.
I have seen some improvement but I still look like crap! I honestly am starting to think that I am having the worst botox disaster in the world. Just excellent. You hang in there too and I am so happy for you that it seems to be wearing off sooner rather than later! Cheers
HI, having the same problems. I had Dysport done under my eyes, crow feet and forehead on Dec. 2, 2009. Ten days later noticed my skin drooping or sagging about an inch and a half below my right eye and a little below my left eye. I went back to the Dermo office who did the procedure and she said if she injected more around the nose area it would make it better. Stupid me, I believed her and let her put more in. I guess I was desperate to look better for Christmas but it made everything a lot worse. There is way more droopy skin under both eyes now and both cheeks are really swollen. There are like layers of swollen and droopy skin below my eyes about equal to where the top of my checks start, the worse and most noticeable spot on the face that the skin can droop. The droppy layers of skin also have made more lines in my face that look like really deep and long wrinkles. I have been back to the doctor a few times now and he had me on steroids for 8 days which helped with some of the swollen but it all came right back two days after I was done taking them. It did not help at all with the droopy skin or the extra wrinkles. I have read a lot of reviews but it seems like no one ever says if theif bad results from the Dysport have gone completely away. I do believe the swollen will probably go away after months but I am so afraid that after the swollen is gone that the droopy skin will still just be hanging there and that the only way it will be fixed is to have plastic surgery. If anyone knows if the skin will lift itself back up please let me know. I have been so depressed, I barely go out of the house or talk to anyone.
I share your pain and horror at botox/dysport gone wrong. It is the most lonely and depressing episode of my life. It would sesem that cheek ptosis and festoon formation under the eyes from botox/dysport is not uncommon, it is just that there is nowhere to report this adverse effect except by anecdotes on websites like this. I think people are unaware how much it really happens. I don't know how to answer your question about full recovery. You had dysport 11 weeks ago. Tomorrow it will be 32 weeks since my botox disaster and I still look horrible. I don't write this to depress you further but I know how I felt at around the 3 month mark - I was very, very hopeful that it was about to wear off because that is what all the doctors say. When it didn't go away after 3-4 months, I went through a period of shocking depression because I had wanted so badly to believe that it would all be over and then it wasn't. The disappointment was overwhelming. I don't want this to happen to you. After 8 months, I have seen some improvement but I still look terrible. I have no idea when to give up and accept it is permanent. I think I am still seeing changes, so I am not prepared to give up just yet. Keep me posted and I will do the same for you. Hang in there and know you are not alone. Email me anytime. Cheers, K
Hi, I want to thank you for your time and all your information. This is beyond horrible and it is a shame that these doctors, etc. make all this money off Botox (Dysport) at our expense. I was able to get my money back but what good does that really do. The money don't matter when you are this depressed and don't even want to walk out your door. My doctor at first kept saying it wasn't even from the Dysport, they tried saying all kinds of shit like this was the way I looked before the Dysport, than they even tried saying it was from stress. Can you believe that? How stupid do they think I am, stress, I don't care how much stress you have in your life, it don't make your skin droop down and your checks and eyelids swell up. It would have been nice if they would have at least recongized to me that it was their fault and try to help me. I actually fought with my dermo for the first 15 minutes of my appoinment telling him that my face never looked like this before the Dysport. (Like I don't know my own face.) I was never so insulted in my life. Here I am going through all of this because of the mistakes they made and they are trying to make me believe my face was like this always. Than after assuring the doctor that I am not an idoit and he is the crazy one my face wasn't like this, is when he started coming up with more excuses like it was from stress. (The nurse in his office is the one who does all the cosmetic stuff and I have known her for 22 years, she is the one who actually did this to me, not the doctor.) May 1st, my only child, Nichole graduates from U of M Ann Arbor and the President of the U.S. is going to be at her graduation cermony speaking and I don't even want to go. I am starting to already believe that I am going to have permenant damage. I find it hard to believe that all this saggy skin is going to go back up to where it was before the Botox (Dysport). Some days the swelling isn't as bad but than it will come right back on other days. The saggy skin and the more very visible deep lines caused by the saggy skin has not gotten better at all. The average amount of time Dysport stays in your body is 4 months, 6 months at the longest. I can already move most of my muscles and the saggy skin is still all there. I think the deep, long lines look the worse especially on the days the swelling goes down a little. It looks like I have ten times more wrinkles than I did when I went in. I was a somewhat attractive 41 year old that took care of herself and now all I do is lay on the couch. I am lucky I have a husband who works and has been very supportive through all of this. I look like I am 61 now and before this no one even believed I was 41 the most they thought I was, was 30. To top it all off, I have two ruptured discs in my neck that cause me a lot of pain and I have been on muscle relaxers for the last four years to help with the pain. But since I found out that the muscle relaxers can make the side effects of Dysport worse and make it last longer I had to give them up. I stopped taking them 6 weeks ago and I went through the worse withdrawls and now I am in severe pain all day long. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for listening to me. I talk to my family about it but they just don't really understand. They try to make me feel better but nothing can make me feel better expect my face going back to normal. I want you to know that I am here for you too if you need to talk. Thanks Dawn P.S. By the way, do you know that Botox and Dysport is not even FDA approved for use under the eyes. It is only approved for use for the lines between your eyebrows. When I found this out, I was outraged. It makes me sick that these comsmetic people can get away with putting this posion into people where ever they feel like just so they can make money. It's not like they tell you that it isn't FDA approved for other areas of your face. I even asked if there were any side effects before they put this Dysport into me and all the lady told me is that the only complaint she had heard about was that people complained that it didn't last as long as Botox. Which I latter found out she lied, she had other customers who had side affects. They weren't as bad as mine are but when I asked her, she should have told me, especially since I have known her for so long. I probably wented of had it done had I known!
Dawn - I have sent you a private email with my real email address on it. I too got the denials and deflections after my Botox disaster: it is stress, it is natural ageing, it is weight loss, it is in your mind etc etc etc. That is CRAP. As if you don't know your own face!! Botox/Dysport in the wrong places can make you look like a monster. It is that simple. Botox/Dysport in crows feet area can drop your cheeks. Botox/Dysport directly under the lower lashes of the eyes can cause festoon formation as the fat pads that are normally held back by a strong muscle bulge forward. It ages you ten to fifteen years in ten days. These results do not happen to everyone when Botox/Dysport is administered in these places but they certainly CAN happen. Injectors just don't want to admit it when they have made a mistake. The whole injectables industry is MASSIVELY UNDER-REGULATED. I am sure there are some very skilled providers (like the doctors on this website who are not afraid to be known and stand behind their work) but it would also appear that any old hack with a medical licence can administer injectables. I understand that it is common practice to use prescription medicines 'off label' (ie without FDA approval) but they should have to tell us this in advance. I am still hiding at home 32 weeks later and I still look rubbish. This is a horrible, horrible experience that I wouldn't wish on anyone. Hang in there Dawn. You will see improvement before 1 May! Cheers, K
I had Dysport around my forehead and crowsfeet, that's it! About 4 weeks ago. On mother's day I had to go home and lie down. I still have flu-like symptoms and what looks like bells palsy on only one side. My eyes are extremely sensitive and I can barely open them in the mornings. It is like someone has dialated them and shining a bright light into my eyes. However the other side is as you describe the cheeks seem to be paralyzed. I am freaked out and will never use this product again. Is 7.5 month recovery the norm. I feel depressed and do not want to go out of my house.