Chipped my Tooth on a Champagne Bottle New Years Eve '04 and Had It Fixed with Dental Bonding

In an unfortunate turn of events, some drunken...

In an unfortunate turn of events, some drunken reveler accidentally knocked a champagne bottle into my teeth on New Year's Eve 2004. My upper right front "I" tooth chipped on the corner, which I didn't realize until I felt like I had sand in my mouth and finally ran my tongue against the rough, jagged edge of my tooth.

Obviously, the damage was just cosmetic, and I thankfully wasn't in any pain, but my tooth looked pretty snarly, so I opted to have my dentist fill in the corner that chipped with a dental bonding procedure a few days later.

It took about an hour to an hour and a half for the whole thing.  My dentist didn't really explain the steps to me beforehand, so I wasn't really sure what to except.  He ended up applying the resin, shaping it for awhile, then he put a bright purple (I'm guessing UV) light on it.  He took a strip of like a very fine sand paper and buffed up the tooth.

A few days after I had the bonding done, I was carefully inspecting my partially new tooth with my tongue and felt a weird divot on it, which after further inspection, I discovered was actually a visible flaw on the bonded area.  It drove me crazy that the surface of my tooth wasn't smooth, so I went back a few weeks later and had my dentist try again.  He was kind of a jerk about it and told me after finishing a second time that, "That's the best I can do at this point.  You'll just have to live with it."

Well, I'm still not happy because the "fixed" bonding job resulted in my bonded tooth being pratically on top of another tooth (I can't even get floss in between them), and the tooth doesn't match my other teeth at all (it's gray).  I'm sure it's not all that noticeable to others, but I definitely notice it.  I've looked into getting it bonded again by someone who knows what they're doing (my original dentist was not a cosmetic dentist but a general practitioner), but I'm thinking about veneers instead of spending another $400 on a bond job that I fear is never going to look natural.

But hey, at least it looks like I have a whole tooth instead of two-thirds of my tooth.

Charles W. Cox, DDS

I've been going to this dentist since I was a kid, and he's fine as a general dentist. He's not so great with cosmetic work, and he had a bad attitude when I expressed dissatisfaction with his first attempt to bond my chipped tooth.

I would recommend reading and looking at videos on how they do veneers. I thought about it as well as I love the end result but what they do to your teeth to get that result I disliked. It turned me off.
I would recommend going to a new dentist. I have chipping from grinding that needs to be fixed about once a year. Because I have relocated several times, I have had many different dentists perform the bonding. Some are better than others!!
What did you decide to do in the end??? Something very similar has happened to me, and I have no idea what to do. I'm really against the idea of veneers, but I haven't been happy with the bonding job that my dentist has done (very insecure, too brittle, slightly uneven at the join...) Tell me some good news!
Hi weeping baby, Sorry for the delay in replying. Well, my bond isn't pretty but it's functional and well affixed, so I've just left it alone for now. When I have the funds, I might get veneers, but I can't get just one because I have some permanent striated staining on my teeth from being on antibiotics as a kid so a single veneer won't match any of my teeth (another reason getting several veneers is a good idea for me). My ultimate fix is going to be several thousand dollars, and I'm not in a position to spend that much just yet. I'm dealing with the one ugly tooth. When I go for it though, I'm definitely going to see a cosmetic dentist who specializes in aesthetics. In your case, since the bond is unstable, I'd do one of two things: 1) If you didn't have the bonding done that long ago, I'd go back to the dentist and say "Look, you did a bad job because my tooth isn't functional, and I need you to fix it." 2) If it's been awhile ago or you don't think your current dentist is capable of ever getting it right, go see someone else. A cosmetic dentist who specializes in cosmetic dentistry will be more expensive but you'll probably be quite happy with the long term solution both from a functionality and aesthetics standpoint. Good luck!
Hi Kiddo, exactly the same thing happened to me 4 and a half months ago, but to my front (midddle left) tooth. Since then, I've had it bonded, been unhappy with the result (uneven join), had it rebonded, and had the filling fall out (three times). It's driving me crazy, I'm always nervous that it will fall out, I have to be cautious about what food I eat. Surely there has to be an easier and longer-term solution to such a normal regular dental problem??? I'm pretty put off by the idea of getting a veneer done, but I'm starting to think it's the only option left. What did you decide to do in the end??? I'd love to find out how you're doing now...