my experience

I had bilateral breast reconstuction 2 years ago....

I had bilateral breast reconstuction 2 years ago. The results are very unsatisfactory. I find it hard to explain what happened but I have lost elasticity in the arm pit area and the implants are moving down I am having dicomfort in the chest area mostly feel tight but the implants appear to be soft.

I am 55 years old and feel that I was not a good candidate for this surgery as I am or was quite thin. At the time I was also smoker and even though I cut down substancually I am convinced this had something to do with the result.

I am considering removal of the reconstruction and am concerned about what will happen with my muscles after removal. Will my muscles recover or is there away to repair damage in the area of the chest and under the arm it is quite stretched out.

Updated on May 21, 2009

I had breast cancer and opted for a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction two years ago. Since then I am experiencing a change a muscle tone under my armpits and general tightness across my chest although my implants are reasonable soft. I am unsatisfied with the overall result.

What can I do to improve the overall appearance and possible complications

Updated on May 22, 2009:

I think breast reconstruction is a wonderful thing for women to have access to after breast cancer.

I have seen some excellent results.Even though  I am dissapointed with my own results. I actually do look quite good in clothing and that is a big plus.

I am concerned avout the complication rate of implants and wish I had had mor information before I made the decision. I think because my left breast has a large ripple that they could be ruptured my dr days it is fust the incision site

Thanks for your advice

I need to move on and realize that there are...

I need to move on and realize that there are things that cannot be fixed. I do still believe that BR is a great thing for most ladies. I am resigne to the fact that I will have to deal with what I
have. No sence complaining. I have manage to deal with the tightness and pain. That is 1/2 the battle.

It is so neccessary to have a surgeon that is there when you need to discuss difficulties that you are having with your surgeries. There are many very knowledgable PS out the it is so important to find the right one for you. When you have a diagnoses of Breast Cancer...Do not rush into any procedure befor you know exactly what your options are. Because most of us are shocked and in a state of shock often the thought of having no breasts at all is unthinkable. Having Breast reconstruction actually does take the sting out of the reality of having to be with out breasts. The process sounds so easy. It is not that easy. I had very little pain after my sureries and felt great when my expanders were in.No pain during expansion at all. Actually the problem was I had no pain during expansions and I was so tight and numb. The iron bra feeling did not go away for along time. I did not even feel like the expanders were removed after the implants were in. Now I am having difficulties.