17 Years After Breast Reconstruction Following Bilateral Mastectomy

I did not consider any cons at the time. All I...

I did not consider any cons at the time. All I knew was: I may die from cancer soon, and if I'll survive, I wanted to look "normal" after bilateral mastectomy. I was not told about life of the implants, about MRIs to check them,etc.

I am 60 years old. I have saline implants for 17 years after bilateral mastectomy. They look and feel OK. Should I do anything to make sure they are OK? I never had an MRI or ultra sound to check them. I fact, I only see my OBGYN once a year and she never mentioned anything in this regard. Please advise. Thank you.

Although the general lifespan on a saline implant is about 12-15 years, if they are not causing you a problem I would leave them alone. You do not need to have an MRI to check a saline implant. If it leaks, you will usually know since it will likely deflate. If and when an implant does leak, then I would have both implants replaced. If you had silicone implants in for 17 years, I would definitely have you get an MRI to evaluate their integrity. You should however, continue to do monthly self breast exams as well as annual breast exams by your doctor.

1.He treated me not as a cancer victim, but another woman seeking "good looks". 2. My breasts are not same shape. 3. My breasts are not same sise. 4. Other issues of the way I was treated and looks of my breasts.