How Often to Replace Implants?

I had BA in 1971 to enlarge and even out the size...

I had BA in 1971 to enlarge and even out the size of my breasts, release and exchange implants 1980, release left ruptured implant 1982, left fibrous capsulotomy and replace implant 1983, then finally subpectoral bilateral replacement of both implants 1989. No more trouble with implants except for some contracture underneath breasts. My surgeon never mentioned the need to replace them periodically, but now I am worried about the age of the implants and their structural integrity. How can I know if they are still intact?

Should implants be replaced every 10 years? If not, how often? Is this covered by insurance?

He performed a procedure different from the one pre-certified by insurance, and it wasn't covered, so I was left with a much larger portion to pay than I could afford.

I had silicon implants put in under the muscle via an incision in my armpit over 30 years ago. Just found out via digital mammogram that one had ruptured. I wasn't even aware of it. My original physician, who is no longer practicing, told me they were "for life", but not much was known about them at that time. I feel lucky that they lasted that long. I have many friends whose implants have lasted much longer than the stated 10-15 years, especially if they aren't huge. I've never seen insurance cover it. Dr. LoMonaco's advice is sound. I just had an MRI today to get a better view and see if the other one is ruptured, and I will pay for an MRI every few years to see how they're doing. I would imagine that's a lot cheaper for peace of mind than just taking them out every ten years. Hope this helps.
Breast implants do have a certain rate of failure, and today's implants have around a 15% of rupturing at 10 years. They are ceratinly not designed to be replaced at 10 years. If you have a saline implant, you will know right away if it ruptures as you will see decreasing size. An MRI would be needed to assess a silicone gel implant.
You need to have an MRI of your implants as soon as possible, to see if they are intact. That's your first step. Breast implants are only made to last up to 10 years. It's a lifetime commitment. You could still be having augmentations when you're 70 years old! I'm having mine removed as I'd rather have little breasts, than all this worry and concern. It's just not worth it (in my humble opinion).