Belly Button Discharge, Pain & Other Issues Post Tummy Tuck with MR 9 Months Ago!

I had a full tummy tuck with muscle repair Jan...

I had a full tummy tuck with muscle repair Jan 2009. After the surgery I was in major pain & the first night I was vomiting all night. I had the drains removed after one week. I had lots of swelling.

The swelling has never fully gone away. In April 2009 I went to go swimming & when I stepped into the water & pushed with my arms I felt a pop in the upper abs & it hurt quite a bit. I was on vacation so I couldn’t go see my PS but I called & they told me it was unlikely that anything had happened to the stitches. After that I noticed a bulge & constant tenderness. I figured it was just from carrying my toddler around.

In August I started to gain weight. I had not been active since the surgery, I tried to work out but the swelling & pain ended up getting in the way. In total I have gained 20 pounds since the surgery :/ & I’m well aware that this can cause some stress on the muscle repair but I had not gained weight when the problems started.

In September 2009 I noticed that my belly button was looking pussy & had a white discharge. It had looked swollen & larger inside than I expected post surgery but only in September there was this discharge. I had a low grade fever from 99.8 – 101.
I am experiencing tenderness daily & swelling especially at the end of the day.

Because of the weight gain I was hesitant in returning to my PS as they had cautioned me about gaining weight. I went to my regular physician for advice & assessment. He prescribed cipro 500mg 2x a day for 15 days. I then called my PS & booked an appointment telling them what has been happening. The nurse suggested it is was an infection caused by a stitch & they could perform a minor surgery the following week to remove it.

When I arrived at my appointment the PS asked me to get up on the operating table so he could take a look; he then said it was definitely infected & it looked like it was caused by a main stitch below the belly button. He started the surgery without any general or local anesthetic or sedative. He explained that the tissue changes with a local & he needed me to be fully alert. I trusted him & he found lots of granuloma & cleaned it out. He said he could see the tube or capsule where the stitch was but he couldn’t get to it so he used a local anesthetic but after about an hour of looking around inside he could not locate the stitch & he packed it with an antibiotic gauze strip which was removed 3 days later.

I went for a follow up & he prescribed another 5 days of cipro & said it will probably clear up & to see what happens. I’m concerned because my belly button is still oozing & I’m still experiencing pain, the swelling has eased up a bit but still painful. My belly button looks very red inside & the tip that has the incision is very red & hard. He didn’t remove the stitch, I heard him cutting but I don’t know if he removed other stitches or not. The fever has gone away except when I have a very busy day then it goes up to about 100.

I’m concerned that the infection will only get worse or spread. I don’t have time to be waiting to see if the stitch resolves itself. I have kids & a small business. This has taken up much more time than I had ever anticipated.

I don’t feel well since I had the surgery. I am in pain & I need to get back to working out & living an active life. I don’t know if I should seek a second opinion or insist that he do more? I paid over 8k for this surgery & I don’t plan on paying anymore.

When I brought up the incident in April & the upper bulge he didn’t even look. He said it is very unlikely. The nurse said it is probably from the weight gain but I had noticed before I gained weight. Could he have been able to tell when he was inside my belly button if any stitches had broken? Or would he have to examine the upper abs? I am confused. I heard that if the stitches had broken it could cause them to embed into the tissues & cause infection?

I love that the stretch marks are removed. The results once I heal will be very nice. I did it because I had 3 kids & I also had a pelvic prolapse from the last birth.

Could he have been able to tell when he was inside my belly button if any stitches had broken? Or would he have to examine the upper abs? I am confused. I heard that if the stitches had broken it could cause them to embed into the tissues & cause infection? How can I find out if the stitches had broken are there tests my doctor can order? Should I seek another opinion from another PS or just see my regular physician & if anything is found take the results back to my PS? I just don’t get the impression my PS has the time to listen. He rushed me the last 2 visits & didn’t examine the upper bulge as well my scar line has a large bump in it above my pelvis..could this be the retained stitch? He didn’t look there either even though I had mentioned this. Thank you for your time.

Currently I am waiting to see how the current complications are dealt with before I recommend my PS,