Tummy Tuck to Repair Diastasis Recti and Appearing Pregnant

The pros would have been to have a strong, tight...

The pros would have been to have a strong, tight stomach versus a huge diastasis recti and appearing pregnant.

The cons at this point are that my belly button (and adjacent surrounding skin) seems to be disfigured, my tummy still seems rather large for all the pain I went through (with the surgery) and my pelvic scar is uneven, high above my pubic bone, has pleats and "dog ears" at the ends.

I had a tummy tuck (6 weeks ago) performed by a plastic surgeon. At the same time I had an umbilicus hernia repaired by a general surgeon and pelvic adhesions removed by my OB/GYN. I am extremely unhappy with the way my belly button looks. It seems to me that my plastic surgeon cut too big of a hole for my "new" belly button. I have a sort of crest shaped cut out which is about 1 1/4 inches wide by 1 1/2 inches long with the belly button crease partly inside the crest and partly above the crest. I have scoured through tummy tuck pictures on the internet and have not seem anything like this. The plastic surgeon said this outcome is due to the other two doctors having to do work on me (which is difficult for me to understand because they performed their part laproscopically) and the plastic surgeon tells me that my belly button is not going to look this way, but is going to look better down the line because it takes six months to heal. Can you tell me if this sounds normal to you?

The doctor did say that if I am unhappy with the results six months later that the doctor would fix my belly button in the office by cutting out some of the flesh within the crest-like seam line and pull it all together. I used to sow and I can't picture how this will be accomplished without leaving pleats emanating from the belly button to the surrounding stomach skin.

In addition, I have small pleats in my tummy tuck incision line and have "dog ears" at the ends. The doctor said that these would be fixed as well in 6 months, but are the small pleats normal?

Also, I seem to have a bit of a tummy still (see attached pictures). Is this swelling that will go away?

The doctor said that my muscles had thinned down significantly because of my pregnancy with the twins and that although my abdominal wall was plicated, the muscles are still weak and stretched. I am confused about that statement because I have never been a heavy woman and do not understand how Kate (from Jon and Kate Plus 8) had twins and then sextuplets, had a tummy tuck and looks terrific, but I, who had less trauma to my abdomen look the way I do.

I am so upset and would appreciate any advice you can give me regarding addressing my belly button concerns, the size of my tummy (which I feel should be flatter than it is at this point) and future repair with the doctor.  Thank you.

After reading my review, do you think my situation...

After reading my review, do you think my situation is normal?

Was this covered by insurance. I have same condition. Mine also from having 7 kids then a set of twins
I am scheduled for a revision in October with a doctor who specializes in abdominal wall reconstruction. Please check back with me because if it goes well, I will give you his name. Hang in there because I know it's really tough!
No, I have not had revision surgery. I have gone to many doctors and they all basically said what was done to me was a mess. They can try to make my appearance a little better, but the pain and nerve damage (which I still have after all this time) may not be corrected. I suggest you do ALOT of homework before you let anyone operate on you as once they do, it is permanent. I regret everyday having allowed the doctor that operated on me to touch me and have to live with the pain and disfigurement to remind me. Make sure that the doctor you trust your body to is board certified. Best wishes to you.
Hi Ann, I too had a tummy tuck (which they said they would give me) when I went in 6 weeks ago to have my bad c.section scars repaired. they decided to give me a Diastisis recti repair as well. gave me a disfigured belly button and a scar from belly button to my crotch. and two scars on either side of my hips are hideous! I am 50 kilo had some old skin but not overhanging, now I am absolutely devastated and disfigured. now need plastic surgery to fix the plastic surgery ... my old scar was minimal now its horiffic. Im constantly in tears and I totally agree with you. I should of NEVER agree to let them do it. The registra was the surgeon not the plastic surgeon. I was a guinea pig. !!! In a public hospital !! I don even know how bad my abdominal separation was and wether exercise may of fixed it. I will never know :(
Hi, Patti. Have you had any luck with a revision surgery? What have doctors said? I'm in the New York area and need abdominal wall reconstruction too.
THANKS!
Hellow i am very sorry that you did not get whta you wanted but see your ps and discuss your concerns and see if he will meet you, all the best and keep us posted
I am in a similar situation. My tummy is much rounder than I expected it to be after my TT. In fact I look to be about three months pregnant. I have a rather large "fat" deposit on the left side of my incision and a small dog ear on the right side. My belly button is not satisfactory either as it is too small with raised stitches. I am going to try to be patient and wait six months (I have four to go) until I seek a revision of some kind. I wish you luck in your recovery and hope that you will eventually have the results you wanted.
Hi Marina, my doctor is a female and she is on Long Island. Let me know if your PS is as well.
Sorry you're having problems. do u mind telling me who your DR. Was. I'm having tt next month, and being that i am also from NY i don't want to go to your PS.. Thanks
who was your Dr?? I'm planning a TT next month. I'm from NY and I sure don't want to go to your surgeon.
I have not been on the board since I have been in alot of pain from this surgery and a terrible back problem I have (one of the main reasons I wanted to repair and strengthen my core/ab muscles), besides trying to take care of my twin infants and 2 other children. I have been to a few plastic surgeons who upon seeing my abdomen had a look of shock and disgust on their faces. They would not say much, but did say that I needed revision. However, I did not feel confident that they could take on my revision, so I am kind of in a quandry. Having weak abs is causing an already damaged back to become worse. I can't do excersizes for my back since my abs are not strong enough and seem to have my intestines still pushing out around a 5x5 area around my belly button when I sit, eat, or strain, which also seems to pull on the small mesh placed to repair my hernia giving me more pain. All I can say is, thank you sooo much for your thoughtful support/comments and to warn women who are considering a tt. Please do your research and do not take the recommendation of a physican, hospital and make sure the Doctor is board certified. I headed recommendations from both of the above and thought that they knew better, and did not let the lack of board certification cause me to re-think using that plastic surgeon. Please find someone who specializes in tummy tucks and a live person who is satisfied with that doctors work. Unfortunately, once someone cuts you up, you are never the same again and many times the damage cannot be repaired (as in my case at least with my bellybutton... I was told will never be the same again). I am 5 months post-op and still look this bad (and worse than the above pic since I did not post all the other pics). Thanks again for your advice and concern. God bless you - Patti
I don't know if you are still reading this board, but you should talk to a lawyer and also, see another plastic surgeon that specializes in reconstructive surgery for their opinion.
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Sorry I was late to reply.

i am so sorry u r going thru this. i would suggest u see another plastic surgeon. ustomach does not look normal. i would even go to the emergency room to get ur self checked because there could be something wrong internally or have ur plastic surgeon write u a prescription for a cat scan of the abdomen and pelvis or a mri of the pelvis and abdomen. either exam can let u know what is going on inside u. i wouldnt wait n e longer

Thank you for the advice. I did do these things and I am in good health. Unfortunately, I had a botched surgery.
Hey i just wanted to say....I had a tummy tuck in March 2010 and within 4 weeks my tummy had rounded and was protruding again,much like the above picture. I went back to my PS and he said it was Visceral fat which i wasnt happy about as im not a big girl and have never been "fat" so he sent me for an ultrasound to see if it was visceral fat but it wasnt,my sutures had infact come undone. So i had another tummy tuck 11 months later to suture back up my diastasis but again,within 4 weeks it had come undone again. I almost went into a depression,what a waste of money. So im just saying,if your belly looks like this,your stitches could have come undone too,maybe have an ultrasound to check if thats the case. :(