6 Months Post Rhinoplasty to Remove Hump on "Roman Nose"

Basically had a very big nose a small jaw line. It...

Basically had a very big nose a small jaw line. It was clearly what you'd call a "Roman Nose". Large bump.

I had the bump removed and my surgeon said he'd raise the tip.

I'm concerned about the tip of my nose. I'm nearly 6 months post op' and my tip dosen't sit right on my new nose. Whenever I run my finger down my nose it's flat up until the last 3rd. There's like a bump around my tip which is concerning. My tip feels quite hard and I'm hoping this is swelling. I'm only 19 years old, 18 when I had the operation and I thought swelling fades faster with youth.

Im mentally drained worrying about this and just wonna get on with my life. I really dont know what to make of my new nose. My surgeon was recommended by my GP, family docter. He's on the board of national surgeons, I dont want you thinking I went to the "wrong kinda guy".

Hi Manager, sorry to hear you weren't happy with your nose? Has there been an improvement since? I'm researching rhinoplasty surgeons in Ireland. Would you mind telling me who your surgeon was?
First of all, this was only the case of my rhinoplasty -- yours could be a completely different problem, but I'll inform you of it in case they do turn out to be similar problems: About a year ago I had a similar experience with my rhinoplasty. I had a "Roman" nose with a large bump. It was a really worrisome experience for me as well (around 4 months post-rhinoplasty I could start to feel and see the bump), and trying to figure out why there was a bump forming just above the tip of my nose was frustrating! I kept looking for answers and coming up with different reasons for the bump each time, but it came down to a result that is given the nickname "Pollybeak" in the surgery world. There are many possible ways for its formation (scar tissue buildup, not taking enough cartilage from the lower third of the nose, etc), but in my case it had nothing to do with the surgeon's competence, it was due to a buildup of scar tissue on that area (the supratip) of my nose. This seems to be the most common means by which the pollybeak forms--scar tissue forms in the space between the cartilage of the nose and the skin, so because of the swelling in my case, an excess amount of scar tissue formed and hardened in that swollen area. As the swelling finally receded more in the tip, the bump of the scar tissue remained in my supratip, and I went in later for corrective surgery. The clump of scar tissue had to be slowly and meticulously removed. What I found out after the fact is that putting pressure on the skin by taping it and pushing it closer to the cartilage can help reduce the swelling, therefore creating less of a chance for scar tissue to form and harden. If your case is indeed similar to mine was, I would ask your surgeon about the bump, and find out whether or not massaging that area to break up the scar tissue is possible at this point. It could still very well be residual swelling in that area, but if at 6 months after the surgery the bump feels hard and is a concern for you, it is time to question your surgeon seriously about it. My surgeon told me at the time it could have been residual swelling even that long after the fact, but I found out too late in my case that it wasn't. Fortunately I received a touch-up procedure from my surgeon free of cost a couple of months ago, and I know what to do this time. I do hope you have more luck than I did and it turns out to be nothing to worry about, but I know exactly what you mean by being mentally drained worrying about it, so I would suggest talking to your surgeon about the problem and finding out what he/she says about it before jumping to any conclusions based on other bad experiences. I wish you the best of luck!
I had open primary rhinoplasty in April of this year. Similar situation - basically big greek nose. The hump in the bridge of my nose, (which was my primary concern)was successfully removed and the tip was raised slightly as desired but now the tip looks bigger than before surgery. It now has a square shape to it, and is very firm to the touch. My surgeon, who is board certified (Harvard trained) and specializes in facial plastic surgery, assures me that swelling and asymmetry in the lower two thirds of the nose is often evident for 12-18 months after surgery. Maybe the bump you refer to is actually residual swelling and will go away with time. I'm hopeful that is the case for me. Everything I've read or been told indicates 6 months post-op is still pretty early in the game (which is why doctors won't even consider revision rhinoplasty until after 12 months have passed). I understand your frustration with your progress - I'm right there with you. I hope this offers some piece of mind! GOOD LUCK!