3 Months Since the Fraxel:Repair

I did the Fraxel:Repair 3 months ago for minor...

I did the Fraxel:Repair 3 months ago for minor wrinkles and mild acne scarring. I am a 34 year old female.

I was told I would be able to go back out in public after 5-7 days, it took two weeks before I would even see friends. It was six weeks before the redness could be covered by make-up and at 3 months my skin is still pretty red and you can still see a few "track marks".

At 3 weeks, even though I was still very red and dry, the wrinkles around my eyes disappeared and my skin seemed smoother. I was very excited. Now at 3 months the wrinkles are back and my skin texture seems to have gone back also. Everyone I ask says they cannot see a difference except of course the people at my doctors office. The only thing that seems to be different is my make-up goes on a little smoother.

They are trying to convince me to get another one at half price saying the second one will yield more dramatic results because the skin has already been treated. Has anyone experienced this? It is another $2000.00 and six weeks not wanting to be around anyone because I am so red and dry.

If you have done a second Fraxel:Repair please let me know how it went, thanks!

Started with the one inch....I'm looking into numbing cream because it hurts and it takes me forever to roll my face.
What size are you using?
My mother has used a new product called seraphim....her skin looks amazing at 60. It has a bleaching agent and retina a. If your treatment with fraxil has been at least a year, try this with the use of a derma roller. Google scientia derma rollers and get theirs, the amount will be higher because it is in another country...the have it in pounds or some thing. You can contact them. I am ordering the seraphim soon. Realize that the derma roller and seraphim cause redness and peeling for awhile.....hope this helps guys.
googled it, are they based out of Atlanta?
Has anyone tried derma rolling? I have heard good things about it. I have scars and wrinkles around my mouth...this is devastating to me. I look in the mirror and look so old. My moth looks like a smoker. I am desperate to fix this problem, but there doesn't seem to be any answers. This has truly been a life changing event...I want the old me back....I am trying to stay positive.....it's difficult.
Please update? Have you found anything to correct the damage? I think time is the best bet.
It's been almost 5 months, and it looks somewhat better. I have issues with hyper pigmentation now. I used the derma roller and really like the results. I haven't used it lately, but will start again soon.
;-( I so understand. I have the same. My skin is ruined, like a smokers and my upper lip is badly wrinkled. I have never touched a cigarette in my life.
Fraxel ruined my skin and aged me at least 10-15 years.
It's a bummer. Sorry for you, I do understand.
Don't do IPL- it's a temporary fix that will lead to more long term results of the same. Look under other people's posts such as "don't do fraxel" and take the advice given there: sleep well, eat well, exercise, take supplements- you've just had 10 years of sun damage (legal dislaimer: "theoretically") in one sitting. Give it time.
I had fraxil repair 11 months ago and have track marks from the laser. It looks like wrinkles that I NEVER had before. Can anything help to repair the damage? Would I be crazy to consider a light treatment to correct the damage? Is this even an option?
I am scared trying anything after the damage Fraxel did to me, in case the situation gets much worse. I am hoping stem cell therapy will advance very very soon to combat wrinkles and premature aging.
Thank you for sharing and letting us ALL know that this is not a laser you pull out of a box pick a setting and just start putting on people’s faces... Certain companies rushed it to market at the expense of women who are suffering severe problems and should have their privates fraxeled They took an exciting technology prostituted the doctors and scientist so they could cash out and collect licensing checks…. It’s wrong and responsible doctors and scientist should be weary and speak out against the greedy business men and companies who are corrupting the world of science and medicine… Taking someone’s money for something that may prove ineffective is one thing.. Destroying a women’s face is another..Those men need to be on 20/20 or 60 minutes…I’m sure a lot of women and their families would like to face them… We have only seen the beginning of this.. the worst is yet to come…
You are absolutely right! I am 8months post fraxel repair and still cry daily because of the damage the laser did. My face is ruined. Dr schlessinger being a dermatologist is spot on about all the comments he has made with regards to this laser. This laser should not be on the market it is not safe.
Hi All, Fraxel re:pair does work, sometimes it may take a second treatment. Ask your physician if they will perform the second treatment at their cost (about $1000 for full face and neck). I have seen remarkable improvement in two of patients who had a second "lite" treatment after their first full re:pair. The Lite treatment is done at very low settings (5-10mj, 10-20%) so that the down time is much less. Patients may also have a full 2'nd re:pair treatment if they wish. As for make up, patients can use a quality mineral make up like Jane Iredale after 6 to 7 days and look very good. We began to carry Jane Iredale for this purpose, and patients are very pleased. Lastly, the Fraxel re:pair is not a commodity, but requires both the technology and a skilled physician. If patients are not healing as expected, then the laser should be checked to make sure that it is not over heating the patient's skin. See my full answer here on RealSelf.com at (http://www.realself.com/review/fraxel-laser-horrible?page=9). Good luck and be well. Dr. P
Dr Pesky, my skin and underlying fat/muscle structure of the face began sagging and showing signs of rapid premature aging after Fraxel. I am of the opinion that Fraxel should really be banned by the FDA because of the strong visible damage it has done to me. A friend and I had 3 sessions with one of the researchers for Fraxel. After a year, BOTH of us started noticing that are skin looked badly aged and worse we had ever seen it. We only went for Fraxel for smoother complexion. I was 40 when I did Fraxel, my friend in her mid 30's. I now have the skin of a 60 year old, with deep drooping jowls, the elasticity of the face is dropping, deep vertical lines in rows, and deeper and more prominent wrinkles than anyone I have seen my age. All this within 3 years of my last treatment. How many people do you know that age that fast in a short 3 years? When I see 55 year olds with better skin than me, I feel so sad. I don't smoke, have never used drugs and don't live on junk food (I seldom have fast food) yet I am starting to resemble Keith Richards after his hard life of boozing, drugging and orgying. I am trying to get the doctor to send me before pics so I can post them here and demonstrate the truth of my statements. Interestingly enough, the first session I had (20%) actually had excellent results. It was consequtive sessions at 40% that contributed to the damage which I now battle with to try and somehow reverse and correct - and as a doctor I am sure you know how difficult it is to reverse signs of aging and with good and natural results. I really think doctors should think twice of the long term consequences of Fraxel before recommending it to anyone.
With all due respect Dr. Persky, I think you discount these women who post on here continually about RUINED faces, RUINED lives and undermine their stories of not just financial loss but personal injury and suffering due to a product that clearly has had devastating results for many people. Rather than act as a resource or offer guidance for what we can do to fix the damage we've suffered from a product the medical establishment continues to promote, defend and make money off of, you prefer to act as an apologist for an industry that has caused great harm to many. You sit here and tell us it works when our faces tell a different story; clearly it does NOT work for a large number of us and we are stuck to suffer the consequences of poor FDA regulatory practices and a medical community that has clearly not ensured the safety of its product or the public. Cite one long term clinical study (longer than 6 months) that demonstrates the safety of Fraxel over the long term; one epidemiological study that charts the long term effects of fraxel in human populations; I've yet to find one, yet the medical establishment continues to promote Fraxel as safe without the citations to back up their stance.
These procedures damage skin! This industry is unethical and is ruining peoples lives. When doctors are confronted they deny, deny, deny that the skin damage is a result of treatment! I look like crap now as a result of treatment! My face hurts all the time and feels like it was injected with acid! What goes around comes around eventually. Karma is a b**tch!
You Go Girl!
I have the EXACT same case as 'dontdofraxel' 9 months after fraxel , my skin was very tight lifted and made me look younger. over night it sagged and created hollows and jowls on my face i aged back within hours.it seriously enhanced my nasolabial folds I could actually feel the difference the deep hollows are just reay deep and make me look very old . I can quote you ateast 30 cases here that mention the same thing, the FDA NEEDS TO MENTION this as a possiblity on their site , so that people can proper weigh their options. because it CERTAINLY is an option. I understand it fraxel doesnt want their machines true side effects cutting away on all their profit margins. IF the worst fraxel could do was , give no results, then OK, they can use their tactical marketing to make it seem like it is perfectly safe. But when it can make things worse , FDA SHOULD not let them use marketing to HIDE its true dangers! This is someones FACE you're talking about you could potentially ruin their lives.
Any updates?
If you aren't getting a good result at the young age of 34 (with all of that collagen-producing capacity), that doesn't give older patients like me much hope. I'm two months post-Fraxel, and I'm feeling that my skin has a bumpier texture than it did before the procedure. The wrinkles around my eyes are returning. I know that I am not considered to be fully "repaired" at this stage, but I feel that I am not just reverting to pre-treatment mode, but that I have actually harmed my skin.
Lori, I just read your response to the Fraxel Repair and your disappointment.. I must agree with you. I had mine on November 17,2008. My recuperation period was long... almost 4 weeks before I could put makeup on that would look acceptable.... I was very red! Now that the swelling had gone down and the redness has subsided, I feel my skin looks like it did before the procedure.. if not worse. My skin is blotchy.... and the imperfections that were present before REPAIR are returning. ie broken blood vessels and 'fine wrinkles'. Considering the cost and the down time of REPAIR, I would say it is NOT worth it. The results are so minimal.
How about your scars? Have they returned? Did you look at any before and afters? Tract marks?? Your Doctor should be doing you for free. I was also told that a second treatment would yield better results and that the downtime would be much quicker. It would definitely be hard to fork out another $2k if the $5k didn't do much. Goodluck to you. If you do have a second treatment please do keep us posted.
Lori -Did you and/or your Doctor take close up digital photo's? I ask because about 20 days into my healing I thought, "ok somewhat better, not huge." THEN I compared the digital close up pics I took before my procedure to one that I took that day. Then I saw a big difference. I think we get so accustom to looking at ourselves in the mirror that we can miss some change and/or we truly forget what it really looked like in the past. There is a question posting area in this blog that the doctor's respond to. You should post the question about multiple Fraxel repairs and see what advice they have regarding timing, risks and so forth. I'm so sorry to hear that it isn't what you hoped for because it is an expensive treatment.