3 Months After Smart Lipo

3 months later.......well, I have mixed feelings...

3 months later.......well, I have mixed feelings.  I had my upper and lower abs, flanks, and arms done.  I should clarify, that I mean the meat that shakes underneath my arms when I raise them and shake.  I did not have circumferential arms done, which some doctors do.  As you can see form the pics, I had alot of fat in my ab area.

My measurements before the surgery were, waist 37.75", right under the breast was 34" and my arms were 13" around.  I weighed 160lbs.  Im 40 years old and have never had children.  So, the day of the surgery, I was relaxed and excited.  They gave me a Sedative called Adavan (love it) and a small shot of Adavan about 3 hours into the surgery when i started to become more alert. I didnt feel anything.  I listened to my ipod and cracked jokes with the doctor.

We started at about 11 and we were done by 4.  I did not have the arms done that day, only the abs and love handles because there is a very finite amount of lidocain that the body can take and the doctor will not exceed that amount.  SO, he told me I would have to come back for the arms because he was using all of the Lidocaine that was appropriate for my body, during that surgery.

At one point, I got up and we all ate a light lunch.  This was during the middle of my surgery.  I felt no pain and was comfortable enough to have lunch right there in the doctor's office! Towards the end of the surgery, the doctor sat me up on the table and acessed what additional areas needed to be addressed so he could have a better view.  When I was done, I felt great.  They put on the compression garment and the waist cincher and I was on my way.  I was still very swollen with fluid and still quite fat. Now, here is the tricky part.

Many doctors opt to leave your incisions open to allow for ample drainage.  My doctors noticed that my incisions were fanning open during my surgery so they decided to give me one stitch at each of the 6 incision points on my stomach, but leave the two incision points in my lower back (flor the love handles) open to allow for draininage.  They told me later that it was the first time they did that, but they didn not want me to scar so I appreciated that they considered the scarring factor.  However, what they didnt know was that I sleep on my stomach. SO, the fluid could not drain from the incisions in my back.

The next morning, I got up to go to the bathroom and discovered that my Vaginas was about 4 times the normal size.  Apparently, the tumescent fluid had settled below the incisions and pooled in my vaginal area.  I looked like I had a cows udder between my legs.  Fortuantely, I didnt panic and suspected that is was just fluid.  I called the doctor and went in and he had to smile and say that he never though he would see this happen.  However, he solved the problem quickly and easily by prescribing me a strong dieuretic.  I was good as new in about 48 hours. I went back 12 days later and had the arms done.  There was not as much fat there so the area was a little more tender and I felt a few small pinches during the surgery.

Since then, I have worn my arm garment, compression garment and waist cincher 23 hours a day for 3 months with the excpetion of two days in Vegas that I just had to free myself of those garments for.  I had a sieable amount of itching for the first two months.  My doc said that was a part of the healing.  I too had the hard lumps but most of those have evened out and I have very little lumping.  SOme hard spots, but not many.  I also put Mederma on my incisions everyday for two months to help with any possible scarring.

The incisons that had the stitches are barely noticable but the two on my back with the stitches are still dark and fairly prominent. So, now Im at the three month point and while I feel they removed a susbtantial amount of fat - I think 2200 cc, I still have a sizeable amount of fat in my ab area as you can see.  My measurements 1 week after the surgery showed that I was 6 pounds lighter even with a little fluid left.

Today, I am still 154 and my ab measures 35".  Roughly 3 inch loss in the abs.  I do not have anymore love handles.  However, when I look at how extended my stomach still is, I cant help but feel a bit disappointed.  While I looke substantially different with a marked improvement, the truth is, I still look fat.  Just not AS fat.  SO, Im going to see the doctor for the 3 month visit next week and see what he thinks............stay tuned. I have about 60 pics if you need to see more, email me

Update:  So, 4 months after having my abs...

Update:  So, 4 months after having my abs done,I went back and had them "redone".  At the 3 months point, my doctor and I agreed that I still had a sizeable amount of fat in the ab area and the reults could have been better.  So my doctor graciously offered to redo the abs.  Though I wasnt eager to have the surgery again, it was important for me to walk away from this expereience with the most optimal result.  I had the abs redone on July 9th and I feel and look great.  This time it was less traumatic to my body as they didnt have to do as much.  I can tell you however, that I was more uncomfortable the second time.  The reason being that I already developed scar tissue from the first surgery - which is a good thing.  The scar tissue forms as a result of the skin tightening and reforming.  These are the hard spots that many people reference.  Im not the least bothered by the hardness because it means there is not fat there and for the first time in many years, I can feel my ab muscles. However, the doctor had a bit of a hard time breaking through the scar tissue to get the lidocane in so there were times that I could feel some real pinching and moderate pain, whereas I felt nothing during the first surgery. So, the pain with this one was a little more extensive.  I will say, though, that the recovery was also a lot less prominent.  I recovered alot faster, even swimming three weeks later.  I still feel a little pulling every once in a while but I almost forget I had the surgery.  Of course, now Im in the itching phase.  YOU WILL ITCH!!!  It is indicative of your healing.  I also wear my compression garment and waist cincher faithfully.  The best part - the doctor got an additional liter of fat from my stomach!  The first surgery yielded 2.5 liters.  So, he got almost 50% more from the second surgery.  Now, I look fantastic.  Im not totally flat like you would expect on a 20 year old, as I have somefat BEHIND my abdomen that no lipo is going to take care of.  This still gives me a bit of protrusion.  But, no love handles, great curvature at the waist and I look great in tight dresses.  Im not disappointed at all. I will upload pics of the final results soon.

Photo Update

Ultima Medical and Aesthetics

Thanks for the itching comment because I'm only one week post and I'm itching like crazy in this compression. My abs are already hardening but I don't feel that tightness in my love handles which is an area I was more concerned about. I'm curious if that area will harden much like my abs. I'm only one week in but I didn't have A LOT of swelling at all which I'm thankful for but maybe it will get tighter as time passes. I was told to be patient.
I had my upper arms done 7 months ago. There are still indentations in the back of my arms and it is still a little discolored. I also still have numbness........my arms actually looked better in the beginning. I guess because they were still a little swollen. Now that the swelling is down, there is wrinkling under the arms, especially the left side. And as mentioned earlier, it looks like he "scooped" out the back of my arms. My daughter says every time she sees them they look a little better. I am thinking that because I still have numbness, they may not be healed all the way? But wouldn't 7 months be enough time? Anyone else experience the same thing?

You look AMAZING!!! Congratulations. I am 34 years old and was having second thoughts about getting my arms done but looking at your pictures have given a new boost. I am scheduled for liposculpture (u/l abs, thighs, back, arms) next week. Not too much fat from each area- contouring 'cause my main problem are my saddle bags and a pouch from c-section. Is it really that necessary to have arm garment all the way down to elbow. I would like to be able to hide it with short sleeve blouses when I go back to work? Thanks in advance.

One more thing. My measurements: under breast was 36 now 34 around belly button 39 now 36 -36 1/2.
Hi Nick, and thanks for your post! 1st - I had my smartlipo done on Dec 14 2009. upper/lower abs along with both flanks. I am extermely happy with the results on both flank areas. BUT, I still have at least 3inches I can pinch on my stomach. NOT HAPPY. Fat still pops over the top of my clothes! I want a re-do, and am hoping my dr. will agree and do it at no additional cost. 2nd - my procedure was a bit uncomfortable, I actually cried at one point because it did hurt. I guess I am not one to take pain. I want a re-do, but now very nervous about the pain? ouchie. Please respond. Thanks!
Wow, amazing and congratulations! I had a question about your scars. At 3 mo the 2 on your abdomen are fairly apparent, and then at 16 mo they are completely gone...perhaps it was the lovely tan...Anyway, did you do anything to help them fade or did it just resolve itself with time? Thanks
You look really really good. Very encouraging. I am 16 days post op. I am pretty bumpy and hard. Your results are amazing.

Hey are you going to post the new photos? It would help people a lot even though you think your belly is still a little fat. Thanks Charmaine

New pics are posted....16 months after surgery. You should be able to see them now
I think you look good. I am getting smart lipo done on my arms, thighs, and abdomen tomorrow and I'm a little nervous and really don't know what to expect; seems like there are a lot of mixed feelings and outcomes. Would you mind showing me some more of your before and after photos? Thanks! ~Lyndsay
Good luck on getting your arms done. Would love to know how it works out as I am thinking about getting my arms done in October. I had the stomach/midriff and muffin top done in May. Still some numbness but otherwise I am very pleased.
Yes, I was more satisfied after the redo. They got an additional half liter of fat and it made alot of difference. I still hold my stomach in when Im naked or in a tight fitting dress, as the Lipo does not address fat behind the abdomen so I still have a small belly, but MUCH better than it was
I'm going for a redo on my abs next week. Were you more satisfied with yours the second time around?
I am about to go for my preop. and can't decide how many areas to get done. Do you have any pictures that are more recent. Everyone seems to stop posting pics. after the first couple of months.
I'M GOING TO GET MY SMART LIPO PROCEDURE DONE NEXT WEEKEND, MY ABS AND MY ARMS. I THINK YOU LOOK GREAT. I'M LIKE SOOOO SCARED, BUT LOOKING AT YOUR PHOTOS HAVE HELP ME TO OVERCOME MY FEAR.
I had smart lipo and we stopped for lunch and for me to use the restroom. I don't kow what kind of "healthcare provider" commented on our procedute, but I believe that with smartlipo it is pretty common to break scrub. All of the docs I interviewed before the procedure said they do it. I also think there is a huge difference in the before and after. Lipo isn't supposed to be weight loss, it is to correct small pockets of fat. I am 5'10 and wear a size 4 or 6. I had lipo to remove little love handles that bothered me. So far, very happy...still a little swollen (definitely in my sixes for now) AND BTW, Plastic surgeons have been hit hard by the struggling economy...now is the time to find a bargain for anything you need sucked, tucked or lifted! Good luck.
Did you have to pay for the re-do?
i am a healthcare provider and anyone who is doing a procedure with any patient does not stop and have lunch! This is dangerous and i am surprised! Your arms look terrible and you abdomen is not a great result....
If you talk to some SmartLipo doctors, you will find that it is actually very common so Im going to assume you are not a healthcare provider in the field of cosmetic surgery. The arms were fresh out of surgery and they look fabulous now. The abs now have now have me in a size 6. :>)
I think you look great. I want to do my arms too but had my abs, muffin top (flanks?) and midriff done on May 21 and am still recovering. It's a much longer recovery process than I thought. I had 3700 ml removed. And by the way, we broke for lunch too, and continued thereafter.
I just had my abs and flanks done 6/24/08 and so far I have had minimal bruising and I can already see a difference. My physician put herself really into the procedure which took 3 hours as she took the time putting in the numbing liquid, then the lasering and the suction. I did not need anything for my nerves as I was pretty calm going into the procedure and was awake through it all. I did have some concerns about some lumpy areas but I now realize this is normal. I am not a large person but had what I called "jello belly" after having had 2 pregnancies. I went back to work on the 3rd day but I do continue to wear the compression garment faithfully. The soreness I relate to the same as having done a lot of situps at one time and found I did better getting up and moving around than sitting idle as the stiffness set in. I also have a scar from a C-section and it even looks smoother. I am excited about the next few months and seeing the progress. I think your pictures look great and I am one person who is glad she had it done. Would I do it again? Absolutely!! Infact, inner thighs are next!
Thanks for the comment. I'm glad you had such a good experience! I know other RealSelf readers would love to hear more about your story. Please consider writing a review. You can even update it when you get your inner thighs done. Click here to review your experience. In fact, if anyone has an experience with a cosmetic procedure we also want to hear from you! Go here to write your review.
Hi there, congratulations on your new look. I can tell you that it's waaayyy to early to size up the arms. You wont see a significant chcange for about a month. Then you;ll notice that your compression garment goes on much easier and your swelling has mostly subsided. I was swollen and my arms looked the same size (fat) for about a month until I started noticing that they wer significantly smaller. I still have some mild numbness in my arms even after 14 weeks so keep in mind that it takes a while for your arms to "reshape" and settle. I think you'll be happy after a few weeks. BTW, Im having my stomach redone. Though there is a significant difference as you can see..........I was very fat. There is still more fat there than should be. I'll repost after the 2nd surgery which takes place July 9th
Hello, I would like to know what docter you went to? I live in Beltsville, MD and I thinking about having the procedure done at monarch med spa. Also, will you post more pictures of your second stomach procedure?

I went to Ultima Medical and Aesthetics - Dr. Ross Nassiri.  I will try to post pics this week