Zyrtec-D before surgery?

I'm about three weeks away from rhinoplasty, and I am aware that at two weeks I need to stop my multi-vitamin & ibuprofen intake. I know the list of medications to avoid (two weeks prior) is longer that that, but those are the only two things I take often. With seasonal allergies, I have started taking Zyrtec-D and it has worked wonders. would you recommend that I stop this medication at the two week mark or is it safe to continue? Thank you!

Allergy medications prior to rhinoplasty

+3
Zyrtec D contains cetirizine (an antihistamine) and pseudoephedrine. Pseudoephedrine can cause increased blood pressure and heart rate - this can increase bleeding during surgery and should be avoided. With regard to seasonal allergies, taking an antihistamine alone (not combined with pseudoephedrine) can provide significant relief. I will typically have my patients continue taking their antihistamine to decrease congestion and irritation of the nasal airway before and after surgery. There are many over the counter medications for allergies that contain an antihistamine alone.

You should contact your surgeon and discuss this specifically to see if you can take an antihistamine or if your surgeon wants you to stop all together.

Zyrtec-D before surgery?

+3
This is a question that should be directed to your surgeon.  The anesthesia department, as well as your surgeon will have certain guidelines to follow prior to surgery.  Discuss your medical history with your surgeon, and follow his recommendations regarding your medication.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Zyrtec-D and nose surgery

+3
Zyrtec-D is an antihistamine with a decongestant that should not interfere with your upcoming rhinoplasty. If you are still uncertain, I would call your surgeon's office to ask them about their OTC medication policy. Thanks for your question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Zyrtec-D

+3
Good afternoon!
With your upcoming rhinoplasty, it is still considered safe to take your Zyrtec-D. Continue taking it, if you'd like, but you should absolutely give your doctor's office a call just to make sure that it will not react with any medications that he or she may prescribe pre or post operatively. 

Best of luck with your rhinoplasty!

Robert A. Guida, M.D., FACS, P.C.

Robert Guida, MD

Decongestants before and after surgery

+1
The Zyrtec portion is an antihistamine that will not effect surgery. The "D" is a decongestant that is a stimulant. Stopping before surgery will decrease any stimulation on your heart during surgery. After surgery the decongestant will decrease healing blood flow to the nose tissue and may inhibit healing.

Garrett H. Bennett, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Zyrtec-D before surgery?

+1
Zyrtec D has pseudoephedrine, which is a stimulant.  This may pose a small risk with anesthesia.  I generally ask patients to stop the medication one week prior to surgery.  However, you should refer to your surgeon's preference and his/her anesthesiologist.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Zyrtec-D Before Surgery

+1
Although this is a question best answered by your Surgeon, taking Zyrtec-D up to 72 hours prior to surgery should not present a problem.  I disagree with Dr. Singer's remarks about only choosing a Surgeon who is Board Certified in Plastic Surgery for Rhinoplasty. Choosing a Surgeon Board certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery (ABFPRS) or the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) who also happens to make Rhinoplasty a large part of his/her practice should be the starting point in choosing your Surgeon.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Zyrtec-D before surgery?

+1
You will get differing opinions about when and if to stop Zyrtec-D before surgery. You should discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon who I would suggest should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) and follow all of his or her instructions.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Zyrtec-D contains pseudoephedrine which could affect your heart and blood pressure.

+1
In our practice, we like to use medications without oral decongestants to control nasal congestion. Pseudoephedrine is associated with anxiety, insomnia, palpitations, and hypertension. It may be best to stop your Zyrtec-D two to three days before your surgery, and get the opinion of your surgeon about this medication.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon