Is Zoom Whitening Something I Should Consider?

I would like to enhance my smile with a whiter and brighter smile. I have lost a lot of enamel on my front teeth and I am not sure using the zoom bleaching product would be a good choice. My teeth are very sensitive. Should I consider cosmetic dentistry? Thanks, Lindsey

How Can I Tell If Zoom Whitening is Right For Me?

+3

Zoom whitening can be a good option for a large group of people. I have found that most dentists underestimate how much sensitivity people have, and ZOom does produce temporary sensitivity.

If you are already very sensitive, then I don't recommend this, as you will have a LOT of sensitivity for 24-48 hours after the Zoom treatment.

If you have an enamel problem with your front teeth, you may need some bonding or even veneers to repair them both aesthetically and for adequate strength.

I would suggest this: prescription Fluoride right away, twice a day for two minutes. Probably some temporary bonding to protect your front teeth. Try professional dentist tray whitening because you can use lower concentration gels and manage the sensitivity. 

You may have to have the bonding re-done afterwards if you are able to get a significant shade improvement.

Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Think of Zoom Tooth Whitening as a Jump Start

+2

All tooth bleaching techniques will eventually give you about the same results. What is different is how you get there and how fast. I do Zoom whitening in my office right now, but I will be honest; you can do a pretty good job of lightening your teeth yourself with over-the-counter white strips from a discount store. So why even consider Zoom? First of all, the precautions that a dentist following the Zoom protocol takes to help keep sensitivity to a minimum are impressive: Sedative gel before and after the procedure and complete isolation of the lips, gums, interproximal areas, and root of the teeth druing the procedure. Other advantages of Zoom include the speed with which you get your result - one hour! Perfect for a wedding, class reunion, or family picture. The best way to think about Zoom is a "jump start" to your whitest smile. Although you can get there other ways, the Zoom system will get you there faster, more reliably, and will give you the tools you need afterwards to keep or even improve your whitest smile ever!

Greg Jorgensen, DMD, MS
Albuquerque Orthodontist

Zoom whitening with loss of enamel

+2

The loss of tooth enamel will certainly decrease the effective outcome of tooth whitening and will more than likely place you at a higher risk for tooth sensitivity.  Depending on the amount of tooth enamel that is missing, as well as the results that you desire, you may be  a better candidate for bonding or veneers.

Daniel Beninato, DDS
Omaha Cosmetic Dentist

Zoom Whitening

+2

Dear Lindsey,
When we discuss bleaching options, tooth sensitivity, enamel thickness and gum recession become the focus. Understanding the patients expectations of bleaching is also clarified as enamel thickness determines the final result. If your teeth are already sensitive, understanding the cause of that sensitivity and creating a treatment plan to alleviate it prior to bleaching is key. There are products that can be used in conjunction with gentle home care techniques and avoidance of chemical eroding drinks (soda pop) which can reduce sensitivity, enabling a patient to whiten their teeth. Once this initial treatment has been implemented and your sensitivity reaccessed, take home trays with a low concentration of bleaching solution may be advisable. If ultimately your teeth are too sensitive for Zoom whitening or take home trays and you still would like to pursue a whiter and brighter smile, you may then want to consider porcelain veneers. Under the proper care, cosmetic dentistry can work for you.

Benjamin S. Fiss, DDS
Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

Zoom Whitening is a safe procedure

+2

Sensitivity during the treatment may occur with some patients. The Zoom! light generates minimal heat which is the usual source of discomfort. On rare occasions, minor tingling sensations are experienced immediately after the procedure, but always dissipate in those with adequate enamel.  However, in your situation bonding, veneers, or crowns may be a better option. 

Ruby Dillon, DDS
Orange Cosmetic Dentist

Zoom Whitening with Sensitivity and Enamel Loss

+2

All whitening products bleach the enamel only. If you have lost most of the enamel, the result would be minimal and sensitivity will likely be an issue. Veneers or Bonding would be a better option for your situation.

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Zoom will not hurt your teeth

+2

In general,  Zoom whitening is safe for most teeth.  You might experience sensitivity after the procedure, but this should disappear in a few days.  You mention that you have lost enamel on your front teeth.  If this means you've lost enamel for the cutting dege of the teeth Zoom will work fine, and will even lighten the color of the dentin on the cutting edge of the teeth.  There are several conditions where a patient could lose enamel all over the teeth and in these cases you should consult your dentist about how Zoom might affect your teeth. 

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist