Zoom Whitening Recovery and Downtime

I've heard that Zoom whitening can be painful for some patients. How much time should I give myself to recover after the treatment? Should I take time off of work?

How bad is the pain from Zoom whitening?

+1

Zoom Teeth Whitening is fairly painless but I have heard and read of many painful experiences which disheartens me and affects many dentists and offices that do uphold high quality and standards when conducting the procedure.

1. First of all, patients should always be screened for and treat any dental problems prior to whitening treatment to prevent painful incidences.
  2. Furthermore, the procedure includes a step to protect gums from the active whitening solution which may burn.  
  3. Although there can be conditions when pain and sensitivity is experienced during and or after a whitening procedure (when whitening gel burns uncovered gums or seeps into the roots), the kit comes with a gel to treat it on the spot as well as post-whitening material and instructions .

One of the major factors in recommending Zoom in-office whitening to patients is that it is done with supervision and any pain and sensitivity can be treated immediately whereas, pain and sensitivity experienced with take-home kits can result in similar painful situations without instructions and material for immediate relief.  With the proper precautions and management, the in-office Zoom whitening procedure should be fairly pain free and sick leave is not necessary.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Zoom Whitening: You'll Feel Much Better in the Morning

+1

The biggest risk in getting your teeth whitened (all methods) is post treatment sensitivity. Even after taking every precaution, you may still have sensitivity during the procedure and for the rest of that day. Your Zoom provider should provide you with a Tube of Relief ACP and a set of bleaching trays that you can wear after your appointment along with over-the-counter analgesics like Advil or Tylenol. In almost every case, my patients report that they felt normal the day after I whitened their teeth. Good luck!

Greg Jorgensen, DMD, MS
Albuquerque Orthodontist