Will Zoom Whitening Change the Color of Crowns?

All my teeth are capped except 6 front uppers and 6 front lowers. The crowns behind these front teeth are slightly yellow with age. Will this Zoom! process have any effect on the crowns?

No, porcelain doesn't whiten with Zoom (or any whitening product)

+1

Zoom is a great whitening product for natural enamel - but no, your crowns won't whiten.

In your case, the more yellow back teeth will whiten to match your crowns.  Great news!

Plano Cosmetic Dentist

Teeth whitening (Zoom) will only whiten natural teeth.

+1

Sadly your crowns will remain the same color and would need to be replaced if you want them lighter and brighter. As you replace your crowns tho,be sure to pick a shade you like and stick with it...Dr Thomas

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Zoom

+1

The zoom will definitely not whiten the crowns. The zooming isonly good for the virgin teeth, not for composite fillings or crowns

Santa Ana Cosmetic Dentist

Brighter Whiter Smile

+1

Zoom whitening is a great option when you want to see results right away. Weather you use the zoom or any other whitening system it only it will only effect the natural tooth enamel you will need to change the crown or any bonding material.

Woodbury Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening only affects natural tooth structure

+1

The whitening process acts by oxidizing microscopic particles within the tiny tubules of the tooth.  Crowns and fillings won't tend to change at all.  Many crowns are too bright to begin with, so for some folks, whitening the teeth just makes the crowns blend better.  In my opinion, it is better to have a dark crown than a crown that is too bright.  Bright porcelain really draws attention to itself in a negative way.  Best of luck!

Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening Does Not Change the Color of Porcelain Caps

+1

Great question. 

My advice is you should ask your dentist what they would suggest.  You can successfully whiten your natural teeth with many options.  Try custom trays and then you can monitor the whiteness. 

You can get a quick start by doing a in office treatment like a Power Boost or you can do Zoom / Kor whitening which are more involved but really work.  Once you achieve the color you like, then evaluate your crowns and replace,  if needed at all.

To keep the porcelain caps looking as best as they can invest in a Whitening Toothpaste, like Supersmile, Starbrite and Squigle and use daily.

Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Zoom and all bleaching systems do not affect crowns or restorations

+1

One of the great things about dental restorations is color stability.  We don't have to worry that they will discolor over time, yet we may actually desire this at some point.  As natural teeth discolor over time, the crowns no longer match, but if whitened, the natural teeth may whiten beyond what the crowns were made at.

The only solution is to remake the crowns to the desired color.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening crowns

+1

No whitening system will whiten crowns, veneers or bridges. Anything in the mouth made from porcelain will not whiten.

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening only works on natural tooth structure.

+1

This is a question that I'm asked often, but the answer is that whitening, whether ZOOM or another product, only works on natural teeth. The only way to change a crown shade in the mouth is to replace it.

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Will Zoom Teeth Whitening Change the Color of my Crowns?

+1

Zoom teeth whitening can be a great whitening option, but Zoom won't whiten or change the color of your crowns. If your cosmetic dentist office is really skilled, they can help you lighten the back teeth for a really nice overall result.

If you have tricky coloration, then sometimes home whitening (also known as tray teeth whitening) can give more control of the process.

If you are prone to teeth sensitivity, then make sure your cosmetic dentist office and staff know it ahead of time so they can help you have the most comfortable experience. It should produce a nice result to finish your smile. Great question, Dr. Scott Greenhalgh, DDS.

Denver Cosmetic Dentist