Zoom Whitening Side Effects

I had the ZOOM teeth whitening procedure done and I am convinced that I am going to need a gum graft after it heals. I was well protected during the procedure, however, my front gums are white and sore. Is this normal? Can ZOOM teeth whitening damage gums?

No significant side effects with Zoom whitening

+2

Zoom whitening can cause temporary sensitivity in teeth and gums, as well as sore gums if the bleach comes into contact with gums during the bleaching process. However, the gums heal in couple of days, and the teeth sensitivity will go away a few days after the bleaching treatment is complete. There are absolutely no damaging effects to the enamel, the strength of the tooth structure or gum tissue.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Are There Any Zoom Whitening Side Effects?

+1
Hello there...I am sorry to hear about your sore gum.  It appears a little gel seeped under the protection.  Good news - your gums are not damaged. They will heal within 48 hours. Massage the area with a super soft tooth brush or your finger.  Rinse with warm salt water.  In our office we offer 800mg Motrin at the end of the procedure too.  Everyone's teeth and gums are different in their reaction to Zoom so this seems to take away any post-whitening discomfort.

Nancy Summer Lerch, DDS
New Haven Cosmetic Dentist

Your gums will heal

+1

Your gums are not damaged.  They will heal in 48 hours.  This occured because a little bit of the bleach that was used for the whitening procedure came in contact with your gums, but it is nothing severe.  If you need to, you can take an over the counter painkiller to help alleve the pain.

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Side Effect of Zoom Whitening

+1

Do not be alarmed.  Your gums that have turned white  from Zoom whitening will heal within 48 hours!  The cause of this was that a small portion of the bleach made its way under the protective barrier placed over your gums.  When this happened, it slightly irritates  the gums.  They will turn white first and then turn red before healing.  This is a common occurrence and things will be fine in a couple of days. 

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

The gums will heal!

+1

Based on your description, it sounds like the gums will heal after the ZOOM procedure, and you will not need a gum tissue graft.  Although a block-out resin is used to protect the gums, sometimes the bleaching gel will leak under and cause a minor gum tissue burn.  This will resolve and heal on its own.  Keep the area clean and take Tylenol or Ibuprofen if needed.  You can also open a capsule of Vitamin E and apply the Vitamin E to your gums to help resolve the discomfort and stimulate healing.   If your dentist has a laser, he or she may be able to use low-level laser therapy to help the gums heal quicker.  

Kristen Berning, DDS
Dubuque Cosmetic Dentist

Typically NO side effects from in-office teeth whitening

+1

Typically in-office whitening systems are exceedingly safe for gum tissue because a modified resin barrier is placed over the gums. In some instances though, some of the whitening gel can "seep" under the barrier. This causes the gums to turn white (or oxidize). In some causes, this will cause the gums to peel or blister in that area of exposure. Depends on the severity of the oxidation, duration, etc.

But to answer your question, it rarely happens and in-office whitening is safe and DOES NOT Cause damage to gums.

Peter Boulden, DMD
Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Zoom teeth whitening should not damage your gums.

+1
Zoom teeth whitening should not damage your gums. We in our office use special "block out" material to protect from such a damage. However, if gums are "burn" in the Zoom procedure, it will completely heal within 48 hour period. During this healing time, you should stay away from acidic and hot food/drinks.

Victoria Olshansky, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist