Above belly button swelling 4 weeks post op. (Photo)
Doctor Answers 5
Swelling above the belly button after tummy tuck can be normal at 4 weeks
Have a question? Ask a doctor
Swelling after Tummy Tuck
- 4 weeks after a tummy tuck and hernia repair is much too early to know exactly what your final abdominal contour will look like.
- It can take months for all of the swelling to subside. Try to be patient!
- Additionally, I would discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon, as he or she will be able to reassure you.
- Thanks for sharing!
Above belly button swelling 4 weeks post op.
Thank you for the question.
As always, it is best to be seen in person ( by your plastic surgeon) for precise diagnosis and treatment.
Generally, abdominal wall "swelling" after tummy tuck may be related to:
1. Swelling in the soft tissues. This may take several months to resolve and may worsen with increased activity or at the end of the day. Patience is required to allow for resolution of the swelling. The swelling occurs because of the interruption of venous and lymphatic channels that occurs during the tummy tuck operation.
2. Fluid accumulation in the space between the skin and the abdominal wall muscle. this may consist of blood ( hematoma) or serum (seroma). This fluid accumulation can generally be diagnosed by physical examination ( occasionally ultrasound may be helpful). Treatment consists of aspiration; several episodes of aspiration may be necessary.
3. Separation of the abdominal wall muscle repair may lead to a swelling/bulge appearance. This may be diagnosed on physical examination with your surgeon examining you in different bodily positions. One of the steps of a tummy tuck procedure involves reapproximation (plication) of the rectus muscles. These muscles have spread apart during pregnancy and/or weight gain. Bringing them together again in the midline helps to “tighten” the abdominal wall as well as to narrow the waistline.
4. Residual adipose tissue may be confused for swelling. Again this is most easily diagnosed by physical examination. Additional liposuction surgery maybe necessary to improve the results of surgery.
Generally, it takes many months for swelling to resolve after tummy tuck surgery and it may take up to one year (or greater) a complete skin redraping to occur.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps.
You might also like...
Swelling above the belly button 4 weeks postop
The others will become more likely if the issue isn't resolved by three or perhaps even six months postoperatively. Be patient and know that it will very possibly get better on its own.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.