Will Zeltiq Work for Buffalo Hump?

I posed a question earlier regarding if liposuction would work for a buffalo hump. I am nervous about surgery and was wondering if the new zeltiq technique would work for buffalo hump?? Also, is there a risk for fat embolism after this technique. Thank you.

CoolSculpting for a buffalo hump

+1

The expectation is that CoolSculpting would not work as well as liposuction for a buffalo hump as it is fibrous (more collagen) usually in this area.  Furthermore, the large size of some would preclude a good fit in the currently available applicators. I don't see any reason to imagine a higher chance of pulmonary or fat emboli from this procedure.

Coolsculpting for Buffalo Hump

+1

It is difficult to say without examining you.. the area would have to be able to be drawn into the applicator and the suction will need to be able to stay on the area for an hour.  Most patients I have seen with the Buffalo Hump present with the area being quite firm and probably not able to get the CoolSculpting Handpiece onto the area.  The best thing to do is to go and have an in person examination to see if your case would be different.

Best Wishes!

Zeltiq for buffalo hump

+1

Greetings~

What limits the ability of Zeltiq to effectively treat certain areas, like a buffalo hump for instance, is two main things. First, the contour of the area it is trying to attach to. Clearly, we must be able to get the handpiece to attach and maintain suction. Secondly, not only must the apllicator attach but it must be able to suck enough fat into the applicator to freeze it.  The more fat can get suctioned into the chamber the better the end result.  If the area you're concerned with is relatively firm (which many buffalo humps are) then it would be difficult to get an adequate amount of tissue into the applicator. As for fat embolism, I don't see that ther ewould be any risk and I have definitely not heard of any cases.

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

CoolSculpting by Zeltiq for Buffalo Hump Fat

+1

Currently the limitations of Cool Sculpting are related to the size and configuration of the applicators that are place on the part of the body being treated. There is nothing specific about the buffalo hump fat that would prevent it from being diminished, though the result would not be as complete as with liposuction. As more applicators are developed we will be able to treat more areas of the body. There should be no risk of fat embolism with Cool Sculpting.

Leo Keegan, MD

Coolsculpting works for localized fat

+1

"Buffalo hump" is caused by a variety of reasons. Coolsculpting works for localized fat that is easy to pull away and place in coolsculpting chamber.  I am not aware of any reliable studies that have demonstrated it's effectiveness for this Buffalo Hump and my concern is that it wil not significantly address this problem.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Zeltiq will work on Buffalo Hump if it can attach

+1

Zeltiq will work on fat where it can attach.  I'm not optimistic it can work there for you.  My suggestion is to do an attachment with the handpiece without turning on the cooling to see if it will be effective.  There have been no cases of embolism after the Zeltiq.  There are more handpieces coming in the future which might work if the current ones don't.

Steven F. Weiner, MD