Zeltiq & Post Procedure Pregnancy Weight Gain

I'm 34 years old and would like to get Zeltiq in the belly area. However, I plan to get pregnant in the next two years. When I do gain pregnancy weight, will I gain it in the belly area I was treated, or will it go to other areas of my body? Should I wait to have it done? Thanks much!!

Zeltiq Coolsculpting and future pregnancy

+2

Greetings Raveonettelu~

Zeltiq works great for the areas of stubborn fat in the belly. As for what happens to the area after pregnancy weight gain or any weight gain, think of it like you would liposuction...those fat cells are gone and if you gain weight, that weight has to go somewhere and since it can't go to the belly, it will go somewhere but there is really no way to accurately predict where that may be. Should you wait? Well, that really depends on how much that tummy area bothers you currently.  If it really concerns you and your weight is generally stable then go ahead and do it.   It's always in your best interest not to gain excessive weight during pregnancy. Your OB/GYN will discuss your weight gain parameters/guidelines with you when the time comes.

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens        

Post Coolsculpting weight gain

+1
It is important to understand the distinction between fat reduction and weight gain. Coolsculpting will eliminate approximately 20% of the fat cells in the treated area. However, if you gain weight, the remaining fat cells in the area can enlarge which may hide the results of the coolsculpting treatment.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Don't avoid having CoolSculpting if you want to become pregnant in two years

+1

There's no reason you would have to avoid CoolSculpting now. If you gain weight in the future, some of the weight will go back to the area treated as not all of the fat cells die.  Other areas that weren't treated can also gain weight. For now though, you can benefit by this non-surgical fat loss treatment but remember it is only roughly 20% of fat loss with one treatment and it can take four or more months to see the improvement.

Ronald Shelton, MD

CoolSulpting and future pregnancy

+1

No one can predict how your body will change with pregnancy.  Deciding to wait to have the CoolSculpting until after you are done with babies or not is up to you... but if the area bothers you enough, have the treatment now.

Best Wishes!

Zeltiq and Post Pregnancy Weight

+1

If you want some improvement in the contour of your belly now there is no reason to wait. Although there will definitely be some changes in your belly as a result of a future pregnancy, the degree of change is unpredictable.

Leo Keegan, MD

What happens to fat after coolsculpting?

+1

In theory the fat that is treated dies and then is removed by the body's normal inflammatory response. In the limited time (approx 5 years)  that Coolsculpting has been studied on patients, it appears and is theoretically proposed that the fat is permanently removed from the treated area. Keep in mind that the reduction in fat layer is much more modest than that seen with liposuction and there is a significant amount of experience with liposuction to postulate what happens when fat is removed from one area of the body and later weight gain ensues.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Zeltiq and pregnancy

+1

It is perfectly safe to do Zeltiq prior to pregnancy.  Nobody can predict how your body will change post partum, and if you would feel in the end the procedure is not "worth it".  Also, you likely would not appreciate your results during the time of your pregnancy when your shape changes.  However, as the previous physician commenting mentioned, the cells that are removed by Zeltiq are gone for good.  Most women tend to gain more fat in the abdomen as they age, particularly post partum.  This will be ameliorated by the Zeltiq procedure.

Hope that helps!
Madeline Krauss, M.D.

Madeline Krauss, MD
Boston Dermatologic Surgeon