CoolSculpting Vs Laser Lipolysis

I have heard about zeltiq (CoolSculpting) alot but i wonder how is the end result compare to any laser lipolysis? dont tell me one is invasive n noninvasive, someone told me cryolipolysis result is almost same with laser lipolysis, is it true?

Coolsculpting Vs Liposonix (laser Lipolysis)

+7

Both treatments are noninvasive, although Lipolysis is reportedly much ore painful. I think the mistake a lot of patients are making is assuming that both of these treatments have the same benefits regardless of the area being treated and the amount of fat in that area.   It is important to recognize that Coolsculpting is great for treating larger fat deposits.  If you can grab a handful of fat, you generally will benefit much more from Coolsculpting. If you can only pinch an inch, and the skin is tight and can't be sucked into the Coolsculpting applicator, you might be better off doing Lipolysis.

Coolsculpting can be done on the abdomen, love handles, and back.  Lipolysis is normally done on the abdomen and love handles.

Price point is comparable.  Results may be seen sooner in Coolsculpting, in 4-6 weeks where as Lipolysis takes 3-6 months.

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Zeltiq is much different from laser lipolysis

+4

Think of laser lipolysis (which is rarely done as a stand alone procedure, it is almost always a combination of regular liposuction plus laser lipolysis) as a way of popping fat cells with a tiny hot poker (!).  The fat cells release an oily substance that is sucked out with standard liposuction instruments.  There are definitely incisions and not uncommonly there is pain and bruising. Numbing injections are used during the procedure to dull the pain. The results are very good.

Now think of Zeltiq as freezing the fat cells, literally a giant suction cup sucks the skin along with the underlying fat.  The "sucked in" area is then chilled for an hour.  The fat cells don't pop, they undergo a slow death and are processed like any cell that dies in the body. The elimination of the damaged cells takes a few months. There is no pain or anesthesia, no incision and usually no bruising.  The recovery is a bit of soreness, possibly some short term numbness.

Cost wise the Zeltiq is less expense and the downtime is zero.  The results are moderate.  If you want a dramatic result go with the old fashioned liposuction (with or without laser lipolysis).  If you want easy, less expensive and more moderate results Zeltiq is indeed a good choice.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser lipolysis can tighten skin

+3

Indeed, both modalities destroy fat cells by their respective mechanisms.  However, laser lipolysis (SmartLipo), if done correctly, can actually tighten the overlying skin by heating the underside of the dermis. The laser cannula is passed just under the skin until the surface temperature reaches 38 - 40 degrees Celsius. I have had much success in the areas of the neck, lower abdomen, upper arms and inner thighs where the skin tends to be looser.  Beware of reducing fat in areas that are already loose as they may become looser. That's when tummy tucks, face lifts, brachioplasties (arm lifts), thigh lifts and in some cases laser lipolysis enter the decision making tree.

Lawrence Shaw, MD
Arizona Plastic Surgeon

Laser Lipolysis vs Zeltiq- cool sculpting

+3

The fact that one (Laser Liposuction) is invasive is important as it increases the risk of infection,requires anesthesia, and has side effects not found with Zeltiq cool sculpting including burns. However to achieve the results found with Laser Lipolysis may require multiple treatments.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Liposuction VS Zeltiq = FIRE VS ICE

+3

In the ever increasing battle to separate people from their hard earned money by separating them from SOME of their fat newer methods are sprouting to do away with fat.

LASER LIPOSUCTION differs from other tumescent liposuction methods in  how the fat is treated BEFORE it is removed by suction. The fat is COOKED / BURNED with a very hot laser fiber. The heat not only destroys fat but also affects blood vessels, lymphatics and nerves (more permanent numbness) and the overlying skin. The problem is just how to stop short of causing permanent skin injury and how to gage fat injury since the fat will continue to change with time resulting in depressions that may not be seen at the time of the procedure.

ZELTIQ - is a procedure in which you have a portion of the area you want treated PINCHED and frozen for about 45 minutes at a time. The ice that forms in the fat cells destroys the cells and the body then gradually evacuates the destroyed fat cell contents. It needs to be done in multiple rather expensive sessions and is an option for those who are adamant about not having surgery but who are willing to have 4-5 sessions and a slightly less predictable and customized result.

Personally, I do not think either one of these techniques comes close to matching the capabilities of VASER, PAL or regular liposuction.

Zeltiq and Laser Lipolysis completely different

+2

Zeltiq is non invasive, can treat 20-25% of the fat for reduction amd has NO effect on the skin

Laser lipolysis is minimally invasive, can reove as much fat as desired and will work to enhance skin tightening over 90 days.  there is more of a recovery ( although) short with Laser.

Barry E. DiBernardo, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Laser Lypolysis and Zeltiq are both effective

+2

CoolSculpting by Zeltiq is a non-surgical, FDA approved device for permanent fat reduction by using cryolypolysis to freeze localized areas of fat.  This mechanism works by damaging the fat cells  walls in the treatment area which are later removed through the body's  own metabolic process.  Unlike laser lipolysis, where a laser fiber is utilized surgically to damage fat cells by either heat or through photo- acoustic damage to cell wall. The damaged fat cells after laser lipolysis need to be removed by liposuction through a small cannula. If the majority of these fat cells are not removed, then the body's natural process will be unable to handle the large volume of ruptured cells.  They must be removed surgically through liposuction

In terms of results, CoolSculpting is best for patients with small areas of localized fat, and those who are within 10 to 20 pounds of their ideal body weight.  One treatment of CoolSculpting will remove about 25% of fat in the treatment area and can be repeated 3-4 months later if desired.  Whereas laser liposuction, when done properly, can remove 85-95% of the fat cells in the treatment area in one procedure.

Results from  laser Liposuction is heavily dependent upon the experience of the plastic surgeon as well as the type of laser that is being used.  I have had good results using SmartLipo Triplex for patients who are good candidates. However, for those patients who have smaller areas to treat and do not want a surgical procedure, CoolSculpting by Zeltiq has been an excellent alternative with high level of patient satisfaction.  

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Zeltig versus laser lipolysis

+2

Coolsculpting by Zeltig is cryolipolysis and hence does not use a laser to destroy tissue. Thus, the permanent fat reduction that is seen with coolscultping is achieved in a safer manner since no peripheral destruction occurs as would potentially with a laser. The results with coolsculpting are real and reproducible and less variable amongst practitioners. On average a 20% reduction may be seen in fat with one simple safe treatment.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Cool Sculpting Results

+1
Yes the results of Cool Sculpting can appear as though you have had liposuction done.  Cool Sculpting works, it can be done in the office in roughly an hour and then you can get up and go back home, work, or get on a plane!  Come in for free consult to find out more in Austin.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting vs Laser Lipolysis

+1
Unfortunately there is no short answer to your question. CoolSculpting is very effective at reducing focal areas of fatty deposits. It is completely non-invasive. There are no needles, incisions, or injections associated with the CoolSculpting process. There are no limitations after your CoolSculpting sessions and it is not necessary to wear post treatment  compression garmets. The final results are typically seen 6 to 10 weeks after each treatment. I most commonly see a 20% to 30 % fat reduction in the treated areas, however I have occasionally seen up to a 50% reduction with a single session. You can also receive additional CoolSculpting treatments for an additive effect on the previously treated areas. The most common areas treated with CoolSculpting are the abdomen, hips, flanks/love handles, back and bra-line.
Laser lipolysis techniques such as SmartLipo are also good techniques for fat reduction. These techniques are invasive in that incisions are made, tumescent fluid is injected into the fatty layer to be treated and optic fibers within a sheath are placed beneath the skin to break up fat cells. This is then followed with insertion of a small liposuction cannula to suction out the destroyed fat cells. Therefore by definition this is an invasive process.
Laser lipolysis results are more dependent on the surgeons abilities than the laser itself. If performed by an experienced surgeon the results can be excellent.
I generally recommend laser lipolysis for patients with less focal and more diffuse fatty deposits, who also desire as much fat be removed in one session as possible. Laser lipolysis is also very good for patients who need more artistic contouring due to asymmetry etc. Whereas I tend to recommend CoolSculpting for patients with more focal fat deposits of the truncal area and also for busy individuals who can tolerate no down time or patients adverse to an "invasive" procedure. 

Jeffrey K. Scott, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon