Is Zeltiq Just As Effective As Liposuction?

I am a 41 year old male who exercises regularly however I cannot get rid of my love handles and muffin top. I am not a wealthy person so I have been saving to have either liposuction or Zeltiq and I am almost at the point where I can afford either and wish to know which is better. I like the fact the Zeltiq is less risky and that is removes fat permanently like lipo, traditional lipo scares me to be honest HOWEVER I also do not have money to waste, this is a one shot deal. please, any advice?

CoolSculpting vs Liposuction

+2
This is an excellent question. CoolSculpting and Liposuction are different methods for the removal of unwanted fat. They each have their own advantages and disadvantages. CoolSculpting is a new novel approach for the non-invasive removal of fat. It's advantages are that it does not require any surgery, needles, or anesthesia. Another big advantage is that there is no downtime associated with this procedure and patients can resume their normal activity immediately. Finally it frequently is less expensive than liposuction. A disadvantage to CoolSculpting is that one is limited by the contour of the applicators available. It works very well in areas such as the abdomen, love handles and back fat. It can be limited in some areas that patients want treatment such as outer thighs and neck. Liposuction's other advantages are that a larger amount of fat can be removed and it's flexibility in areas that CoolSculpting cannot be performed. It's disadvantages are that it is an invasive surgical procedure requiring anesthesia and patients require a period of recuperation. On a more personal level someone like yourself that has limited bulges in the muffin top and love handles would be a good candidate for CoolSculpting which because it is non-invasive has significant advantages.

Long Island Dermatologist

Zeltiq vs Lipo

+2

Zeltiq is meant for small areas.  It works similar to lipo in regard to removing the fat cells.  It takes up to 2 months to see results.  Liposuction is more immediate and precise depending on the amount of fat to remove.  It can also be used for local fat removal.  Zeltiq is a great alternative to Lipo for patients who do not want to undergo surgery.

Ariel Ostad, MD

Zeltiq (Cool sculpting) as Effective as Liposuction?

+1

The short answer is: No,  cool sculpting  is not as effective as liposuction surgery in removal of adipose tissue. Liposuction surgery can often eliminate diet and exercise resistant adipose tissue of a given area with one procedure.

However,  cool sculpting is a noninvasive ( with no downtime) technique of removal of isolated adipose tissue that results in 20-25% reduction of the fat in the area treated. Repeated treatments may be necessary/ helpful.

If   a patient presents  as a good candidate for liposuction surgery ( diet and exercise resistant adipose tissue with overlying good-quality skin elasticity),  then  liposuction surgery is probably the best way to go if the patient is interested in a single procedure.

Zeltiq CoolSculpting is not liposuction

+1

I see wonderful results in some patients who undergo CoolSculpting but in no way, does it remove as much fat as one session of liposuction. As I do both procedures, I see many patients who can benefit with both and tell them of the multiple treatments that can be done with Zeltiq but that liposuction is more effective in removing more fat. There are some extra slim patients who want a very tiny bulge reduced, and liposuction might be too risky on their body so CoolSculpting would be for them. For others, it is the lack of down time and the non-invasive component that makes them choose Zeltiq's freezing treatment.

As you don't have much money, I would suggest, you focus more on exercise and diet and lose a few more pounds and then consider liposuction of a focused area. You will achieve a better result than Zeltiq, even if you do a few treatments with CoolSculpting, and you will have less of a tendency to put the weight back on because you will be exercising more and watching your calories.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Coolsculpting or Liposuction

+1

Coolsculpting is not a treatment instead of liposuction. Liposuction removes much more fat and is more dramatic but it is invasive and carries certain risks that Coolsculpting doesnt. Coolsculpting is more ideal for those that do not want surgery and understand that they will have more modest results with Coolsculpting.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Fort Lauderdale CoolSculpting

+1

When given the options of CoolSculpting vs. Lipo by patients, most patients are choosing CoolSculpting.  You have to be realistic in your expectations and understand that both procedures offer no guarantee.  A reasonable expectation with CoolSculpting is 25% reduction of the current fat volume.  Liposuction does visibly remove the fat cells, however, without diet and exercise before and after the procedures, you will see re-growth regardless.

Will Richardson, MD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Zeltiq vs. Lipo

+1

Greetings~

Your question is a good one and quite common, but unfortunately does not come with a one answer fits all response. Zeltiq is very safe and effective for distinct problem areas like the love handles and abdomen but can require multiple treatments in one area. (two to three treatments, eight weeks apart are not uncommon) The area treated is limited to the amount of tissue that can be drawn up into the applicator. (Meaning for an area like the abdomen, some patients may require two large and one medium applicator to cover the area that needs to be treated--charges for something like this are significantly more than if just one medium applicator is needed) There is no anesthesia or recovery involved.  With liposuction, your love handles and tummy can be treated once and though there is anesthesia involved (just local or general) recovery for most patients if pretty uneventful. (soreness and bruising)  For some patients that want quite a bit of fat addressed, the number of Zeltiq treatments may be more expensive than liposuction. For the best answer, it would be best to consult a practice that offers both Zeltiq and Liposuction to address your concerns so they can clearly define for you costs involved with each procedure.  Both Lipo and Zeltiq are very effective and very safe if done by the right provider.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Zeltiq/Coolsculpting vs Liposuction

+1

Zeltiq or Coolsculpting is ideal for exercise resistant areas of fat such as love handles and muffin tops.  Each treatment will generally result in a 20% reduction in fat in the treated area so more than one treatment may be required.  Liposuction may be a more one-time treatment, but he beauty of the Zeltiq/Coolsculpting treatment is it is a non-surgical procedure with no downtime.

Lori Stetler, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting vs Liposuction?

+1

Hi,

I think that the general consensus is that Coolsculpting is an excellent safe and non invasive alternative to liposuction.  Coolsculpting does not replace liposuction since liposuction is immediate removal of the fat whereas you see the results in Coolsculpting gradually starting about three weeks after the procedure.  With liposuction there is associated down time and risks of surgery and the risks of contour irregularity but you can quantify the amount of fat removed.  With Coolsculpting it freezes the fat and the removal of the fat is done by your own body gradually.  The amount of fat removed with one are of Coolsculpting has been proven by ultrasound to be 22% but clinically we have seen much higher results.  The main advantage of Coolsculpting is that is noninvasive, relatively pain free, and easy!

Dr. Liu

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon