Is Zeltiq CoolSculpting Safe for MS Patients?

I am considering Zeltiq CoolSculpting to remove small amounts of abdominal fat. I have been dx'd with MS 6 years ago but have no symptoms. I've been taking Copaxone for 6 years now.

Coolsculpting is probably safe with MS

+2

Although I'm sure its never been specifically tested on MS patients, I can't think of any reason why CoolSculpting / Zeltiq would be a problem.  Because it uses cold to damage and therefore remove fat cells, and does not affect nerves, it is probably safe.  I would check with your neurologist first however and make sure you go to an office or clinic where a physician is on site, not a med spa where no physician is present.  The physician should be alerted to the fact that you have MS and he or she can discuss this with you.

Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting and MS

+1

There are contraindications against having CoolSculpting by Zeltiq with disorders of cold induced disease, such as cryoglobulinemia and Raynaud's but I am not aware of a specific warning about MS.  As MS is a disease that is still being understood better as more research is done, it is possible that not all of the triggers or exacerbating factors are known. You should check with your neurologist to see if there could be any association between freezing the fat and stimulating a crisis of MS or flaring the disease.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs. If you are experiencing a medical emergency proceed to your nearest emergency room.

Ronald Shelton, MD