Asymmetry of Love Handles After CoolSculpting

Had the procedure done about a month ago now. My partner noticed one side is bigger than the other, not drastic but noticeable if you look hard. I noticed when the Dr applied the suction pad on one side that he grabbed me and pulled me into it firmly... yet did not do this on the other side. The side he firmly pulled me into the suction cup is now smaller than the other side. Could this be the reason? I would really like any feedback you guys may have on this matter.

Lovehandles fat reduction with CoolSculpting

+2

At one month there may be more of an inflammatory response on one side than the other. There might have been a larger bulge before the CoolSculpting on one side than the other. Asymmetries are often not noticed until after a treatment when we begin to examine ourselves more carefully. If not enough fat is drawn int to the applicator, there might not be an adequate vacuum seal and the unit would sound an alert and the applicator would fall away from the area being treated. I don't think a provider can forcefully introduce more tissue into the device than what the device would draw into it by its suction.

Asymmtery may have been present before

+2

I think this would be a great question for the physician you had the treatment from.  There may be some photographs where they doucmented the appearance before the treatment.  It is not uncommon for patients to learn of a natural asymmetry after a procedure because the increased attention.  It is rare for both sides of anything to look exactly alike (breasts, nostrils, ears, wrinkles, etc).

Otherwise, what you have suggested, assuming that there was no asymmetry, is not entirely far-fetched.  

See your doc and see what they think.

Daniel I. Wasserman, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

+1
After one month, you will not be able to tell the full improvement or symmetry. Allow for the full coolsculpting process to work (generally 12 to 16 weeks) to see the level of improvement. However, it is important to have reasonable expectations as slight asymmetry post surgery or coolsculpting is common.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Asymmetry after Coolsculpting

+1

You will not be seeing your results at 1 month out - please allow yourself the 2-4 months to see the full results.  In my experience, most patients are asymmetric to begin with and that may have been the case for you as well.  Give your body time to heal and follow up with your doctor to address your concerns.

Asymmetry following Coolsculpting may be preexisting.

+1

I would recommend that you return to your physician and discuss this issue. You would also want to review your pretreatment photos to be sure your asymmetry was not preexisting.

Laurie Casas, MD

Coolscultping asymmetry

+1

Asymmetry can result from Coolscultping but one month is not enough time to judge your response. I would suggest waiting a full 4 months. if there is asymmetry after 4 months, more likely , is that asymmetry was pre-existing which is most common. Often our bodies usually are not perfectly symmetric.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting assymetry is rare.

+1

To date, I have not seen any CoolSculpting induced assymetry.  I have however seen hundreds of assymetric love handles prior to treatment.  It is possible that you (or your partner) is noticing a preexisting assymetry.  Assuming that you had pretreatment photos done you can simply ask the doctor to review them with you.  I notice that you are only one month post CoolSculpting, more improvement will occur. You should wait until you are 4 months post treatment to see your final result. It is of course possible to retreat one side only if there is a true discrepancy.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Assymetry after CoolSculpting

+1

I would go back and visit your treating physician to check you pre-treatment photos but before making any final judgements I would wait a full two months before deciding on anything because it does take a full two months to see the full effect of CoolSculpting.  It is conceivable that one side is progressing a little faster than the other.  One little tidbit however is that the CoolSculpting device requires a vacuum to be achieved and the cooling process cannot be initiated untll that vacuum is in effect. So it is not possible tos tart the treatment without the proper suction.  What is possible however is that if the placement of the applicator could be slightly different on each side leading to different effects.

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist