Can Zeltiq (Cool Sculpting) Affect my Period? Bad Side Effects?

I had Zeltiq done on my lower abdomen a week before my period was due. The week due of arrival came and went and I never got my period. I am 15 days late and I am not pregnant as I have tested negative 5 times. I am scared the device may have damaged my ovaries!!! I can't find info anywhere related to side effects alike.

Zeltiq's effect on periods

+2

Greetings~

Zeltiq Coolsculpting really addresses and involves treatment of the fat in a given area.  The freezing is limited to the tissue/fat  that is sucked in to the handpiece/vacuum chamber, not the underlying muscle tissue or organs.  Your ovaries and uterus should be completely unaffected by treatment.  It is always good to follow up with the office that treated you and if you have concerns about your missed periods and if the situation has not resolved follow up with your primary care physician or OB/GYN.

Good luck

Dr. Grant Stevens 

Coolsculpting and Menstruation

+1
If properly performed, coolsculpting should have no effect on menstruation. Consult with your OBGYN to determine if there are alternative explanations. Your OBGYN will contact your treating physician if there appears to be any linkage to the coolsculpting treatment.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting should not have effect on the menstrual cycle

+1
Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including CoolSculpting® tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Body reshaping can be performed with a cannula that removes fat via liposuction or with noninvasive technology like Cool Sculpting. With Cool Sculpting there is no cannula inserted into your body. All treatments are performed on the surface from the outside in using technology that freezes the fat. Don’t hesitate to give us a call in Austin regarding a Body Reshaping Consult at the Upper Room. On our Facebook Page there is an Interview I recently did with KVUE, a local news station in Austin, that was picked by affiliates around the United States, including Miami. During the Interview we discussed the technology of Cool Sculpting as well as it application process.

The discomfort from treatment does resolve. Taking over the counter tylenol or naproxen resolves this in the majority of cases. If you have swelling that is persistent then a waist binder is helpful.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting Side Effects

+1
CoolSculpting targets the fat layer just beneath the skin and does not affect the tissues underneath that nor the deeper organs. It is very unlikely that CoolSculpting damaged your ovaries. It's always a good idea to follow up with the person who treated you to have them address your concerns or your primary care physician.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Cool Sculpting Does Not Affect Menstrual Cycle

+1

Hi,

The Zeltiq (cool sculpting) freezes the fat cells (cryoplipolysis) without affecting other tissues; the fat in the adipocytes (fat cells) will freeze at a controlled temperature inducing cellular apopotisis (programmed cell death) hence a permanent solution.

With that perspective, I do not believe that the cool sculpting treatment did have a certain effect over you missing your period.

I recommend that you communicate with your OB/GYN who will physically examine you to find the cause behind you missing your period.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting has not been shown to risk any damage to internal organs such as ovaries

+1

The CoolSculpting device draws in the fat and subcutaneous fat, only, not organs, into the applicator. The freezing is focused into the subcutaneous fat and does not spread deeper into the organs.  There are many reasons for the menstrual cycle to become irreugular and you should schedule an appointment with your gynecologist if it persists.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Coolsculpting and missed period

+1

Thank you for your question.  CoolSculpting procedure should not have any effect on  your menstrual cycle or your ovaries.  The technology allows the fat cells to freeze without harming the overlying skin or underlying organs.  Please follow up with your OBGYN and/or your treating physician regarding your late menstrual cycle.  I hope this helps.

Coolsculpting and menstruation

+1

Coolsculpting should have no effect on menstruation cycle. If you are having irregular periods you should discuss with your gynecologist.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Zeltiq effect on periods

+1

The safety of the Zeltiq CoolSculpting procedure is based on the principle that fat freezes at higher temperatures than the surrounding tissue. This allows us to freeze the fat without damaging the other tissues within the treatment area. The Zeltiq device carefully controls the cooling process so that the temperatures achieved are not below the freezing point of fat, sparing the other tissues. In addition, since the ovaries are not inside treatment applicator it would be hard to imagine any negative affects on this or any other internal organ. Hopefully, this will help you feel more comfortable about your recent CoolSculpting procedure.

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist