Zeltiq - is Bruising Correlated with Outcome?

I am a 42 yo female - athletic, 5'9 148 lbs I had the procedure 3 days ago - have been able to resume all activities including rigorous exercise with no problem. Now I wait for the results... My question is this: Is amount or size of bruising indicative of how much area was treated or effectiveness of treatment? I had no bruising in lower abd, and 3cm X6 cm bruising on both flanks. My thinner friend had much more extensive bruising - does that mean they treated more tissue? thanks

More bruising does not mean greater fat reduction

+2

Greetings~

The good news is you don't have to be really bruised (or even slightly bruised) to get great results with Zeltiq.  Some patients bruise easily...some areas bruise more easily...people tolerate discomfort differently.  Bruising and soreness are not necessary or indicative of a better or stronger treatment.  The size or outline of any bruising you may have is also not necessarily an indicator of how much area was treated.  Results can take months to become noticeable so don't worry...stick to your normal diet and exercise regimen and you will notice results in time.  Keep in mind also that some patients do require more than one treatment (2-3 is not unusual).

Good luck

Dr. Grant Stevens      

Zeltiq Coolsculpting and bruising

+2

Coolsculpting works consistently to reduce fat. The bruising is a result of the procedure and the vacuum suction used by the machine. It is expected, normal and does not have any implication regarding result outcome.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Is Coolsculpting Bruising Related to Result?

+2

Hi,

You have an excellent question!  What we have found is that to get as much fat into the applicator to get a good treatment, in some areas we have had to increase the vacuum on the machine.  I always tell patients that the higher the vacuum, the more bruising you may see, however you are also getting more fat in the applicator.  Since I reassure patients that most of the mild bruising is gone in 3-7days, they are all okay with that.  The only outside factor that may make you bruise more is if you are on a blood thinner like aspirin, fish oil, or high doses of Vitamin E.  If you are on these supplements, you may want to stop them 10 days before your treatment.

Dr. Liu

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Zeltiq and bruising

+2

Bruising in no way correlates with the degree of success in Zeltiq procedures.  Some people and some areas simply bruise more than others.  It takes 2 months to see 80% of your results, and 4-6 months to see 100% of your results.  It is wonderful that you are able to resume all your activities with minimium discomfort and bruising.

Madeline Krauss, MD
Boston Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising not correlated with CoolSculpting results

+1
Some people don't bruise at all with CoolSculpting treatments while others do have bruising. It does not change the outcome of the results. Some people just tend to bruise more easily than others and sometimes certain medications can cause more bruising. You can normally see an oval-shaped area of redness after an applicator is taken off and the area is massaged. That is a better indicator of the area that was treated. It takes 4-12 weeks to see your results, so keep that in mind also.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Bruising and Coolsculpting

+1

This is a common question that I hear.  No, the amount of bruising does not correlate directly with your outcome.  Some patients bruise easier than others.

Please be patient.  Normally, patients see results 3-4 months after the procedure.

Keep in contact with the office where you had the treatment so that they can help you through the recovery process.

Bruising does not correlate with effectiveness of CoolSculpting by Zeltiq

+1

There is no correlation between the amount of bruising and the amount of fat reduction that is caused by CoolSculpting by Zeltiq.  Many patients who have no tenderness or bruising ask the same question but are then happy to see their results in the first several months. So don't be concerned if you don't get the amount of bruising or any bruising and your best friend had a lot of bruising. You may both do very well.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Bruising after Zeltiq CoolSculpting

+1

I wouldn't be concerned about the degree of bruising since it will not be indicative of how much fat will be reduced.  The degree of bruising can be easily be related to other factors such as whether you were taking any medications or supplements that make one more prone to bruising. 

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist