Can the Zeltiq Applicator Be Applied over the Umbilicus (Belly Button)?

To treat both the lower and upper abdominal area in one treatment zone? Is there a risk of herniation in the belly button area? Similarly, are there any concerns with zeltiq making abdominal diastisis (1-2 cm) after pregnancy worse from the suction?

I think I am already seeing a reduction in fat after 1 week. I never expected to see results so soon. I am wearing my skinny jeans today and they are comfortable - which is unheard of! thanks!

CoolSculpting can thin a fat bulge of the abdomen

+2

Most people have a bulge both in the lower and upper abdomen, however some don't have any in the upper and some have it centered around the umbilicus. The patient in the attached VIDEO demonstrates the applicator being applied mostly to the lower abdomen but the belly button is sucked into the applicator along with the lower component of the upper abdomen.

That's why I examine all patients in consultation and determine exactly which applicator(s) will be used and exactly where it will be positioned.  When I have treated the mid abdomen including the belly button it has been well-tolerated except in one patient. In that circumstance, the patient noted a lot of sore pain as soon as the applicator's suction commenced. I had the treatment stop immediately and we were able to treat below the umbilicus without the same pain. There had been no evidence of hernia felt in consultation, but there is no reason to subject a patient to such pain, and rather than being dogmatic, since no one can guarantee the patient didn't have some condition that is not clinically recognized, I listened quickly to their concerns and any risk was then avoided. They did very well with the treatment.

Zeltiq Applicator over the Umbilicus (Belly Button

+1
CoolSculpting can be done over the umbilicus without risk of creating a hernia. If there is a preexisting hernia, then coolsculpting should not be performed on the area above the hernia. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who offers both surgical options and coolsculpting to determine the best option for you.  

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Cool sculpting treatment areas

+1
You can treat the area in a diamond after the lower abdomen.

Body reshaping can be performed with a cannula that removes fat via liposuction or with noninvasive technology like Cool Sculpting. With Cool Sculpting there is no cannula inserted into your body. All treatments are performed on the surface from the outside in using technology that freezes the fat. Don’t hesitate to give us a call in Austin regarding a Body Reshaping Consult at the Upper Room. On our Facebook Page there is an Interview I recently did with KVUE, a local news station in Austin, that was picked by affiliates around the United States, including Miami. During the Interview we discussed the technology of Cool Sculpting as well as it application process.

The discomfort from treatment does resolve. Taking over the counter tylenol or naproxen resolves this in the majority of cases. If you have swelling that is persistent then a waist binder is helpful.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting Over the Belly Button

+1
CoolSculpting can be done over the umbilicus with no problem, considering the patient has been examined and does not have a hernia in the area to be treated. It should not worsen any diastasis either. The applicator sucks in only the fat layer in order to bring it closer to the cooling panels to freeze the fat cells. Always consult with a provider in order to determine if you are a candidate for treatment.

Steven H. Williams, MD

CoolSculpting over the umbilicus

+1
I have not seen any side effects or increased pain when including the umbilicus in the suctioned skin within the applicator.  One would first want to examine all patients for hernias before the procedure begins.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Coolsculpting over the belly button

+1

Coolsculpting over the umbilicus is very commonly done and is a great way to treat the mid abdomen.  The treatment involves targeted suctioning and treatment of the fat bulge only, so there is little risk to underlying internal structures.  Of course, every individual is different, so a consultation with your treatment provider would be prudent.

Narin (Dr.Joe) Apisarnthanarax, MD
Houston Dermatologist

CoolSculpting works on belly fat

+1

Its no problem applying the CoolSculpting applicator over the umbilicus (belly button).  I haven't heard of any issues regarding the treatment causing herniation.

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

CoolSculpting results can occur very quickly, risks are minimal.

+1

Many of my patients can appreciate improvement within a couple of weeks of CoolSculpting!  One reason to not treat a patient's tummy would indeed be a hernia (weakness of the abdominal wall) around the belly button.  A physician should examine you prior to recommending treatment. For the vast majority, this is an extremely safe procedure.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting works consistently to reduce the fat

+1

We have been using Coolsculpting since it's FDA approval. We have had consistent results just as you describe. Each patient needs to be evaluated by the physician to determine applicator position based upon the anatomy of the patient. We have treated patients in the areas you describe with excellent results.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon