1 Yr Post Anchor Lift W/ Implant I Believe my Body Rejected the Suture Material, What Can I Do? (photo)

Hello I'm 1 yr post anchor lift w/implant, My surgeon did a great job but i believe my body rejected the stitches & I'm now left with wide scars. There's even a spot just under the areola where the absorbable sutures didn't dissolve or absorb & my doctor's nurse removed the stitch maybe too soon,the spot there is now white & large I am revising the scars in 1 week & going 360-400cc. What materials are least likely to cause this problem again? What can I do to ensure a better result? non smoker!

Suture reactions and scar revisions.

+2

Some patients do have an abnormal response to certain suture materials. In most instances however, widened scars are more of an issue with tensions or wound healing difficulties. That being said, using a different suture material is an easy switch with a scar revision. Another option is to use suture in the skin that have to be removed to decrease the inflammatory response from suture degradation.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Scar Revision

+2

I would recommend scar revision alone using a different suture material, but not changing the implant size at this time.  Additional implant volume will only put more tension on the sutures and possibly cause the same problem again. 

Donald Griffin, MD

Scars post mastopexy and augmentation

+2

I am not sure why you are changing implants as things look good now. If you go larger you will put more tension on the repair and potentially again get a widened scar. I would recommend different suture material for the repair than the prior surgery and consider a non ablative laser treatment for the scars if they show signs of widening and worsening again.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Lift Revision

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You will find that, in general, the chances of having problems with “wide scars” are less with revisionary surgery than  during your initial operation.  Much of this improved scarring is related to the nature of the surgery done initially ( tightening of the skin envelope necessary for the breast lift along with expansion of the skin envelope that occurred with placement of breast implants;  these competing forces  can result in wider scars).

If you feel  that there was a problem with the suture material then by all means discuss this issue with your surgeon who will be able to use different sutures if necessary.

Best wishes for a complication free operation and recovery.

1 Yr Post Anchor Lift W/ Implant I Believe my Body Rejected the Suture Material, What Can I Do?

+1

You dont say if the size you are exchanging to will be larger or smaller than what you currently have.  I agree that a scar revision has a good chance of correcting the scars, but if you are going larger, there will be more tension on the closure of the scars, and this is part of the reason you ended up with wide scars to begin with.  You may want to consider scar revision alone without implant exchange, unless you are going smaller.  In my practice I use a long lasting absorbable suture to give support to the wound closure- this helps to keep the scar from becoming too wide.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon