Are Saline Implant Best for Tuberous Breast Correction? What Would the Cost Be?

I'm thinking the saline cost is somewhere around $4700-5200. And Silicone being $6000-6700. I am going to be getting the surgery done for a breast correction on tuberous breast,moderate condition. Saline i'm thinking would be best because it's safer and if we need to go back in and change the size it would be easier than to buy a different implant with silicone. I'm 15 btw and the size will be somewhere between 375 and 425cc depending on my body type before pre-op. Pic is not mine, don't own it.

Without tissue expansion breast implants may not be the best for a tuberous breast deformity

+1

Tuberous breast deformity can represent a complicated problem with not only under developed tight constricted breast tissue but a significant lack of skin which is needed to make the result.  External tissue expansion with the BRAVA device or internal tissue expansion with tissue expander can help solve this before implants are chosen.  Many times we default to silicone implants for tuberous breast cases.  I would recommend you visit a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for more advice.

Implants for Tuberous Breast Deformity

+1

At 15 years old, your breasts are still growing and developing, so I would not recommend having implants at this time. Also, you should be sure of what size you want BEFORE surgery, not choosing saline in case you change your mind. Also, saline is not necessarily safer than silicone. In terms of appearance and feel, I think silicone implants would give a more natural looking and feeling result. Silicone implants do cost more than saline implants, and are not available for patients under 22 years old unless it's done for "reconstruction". The overall cost of the surgery depends on so many factors, including what part of the country you are in, who is doing your surgery, the type of facility where it is being done, the type of anesthesia, type of implants, experience of your surgeon, etc. The prices you mention are much lower than the going rate in Los Angeles, but may be the going rate in Ypsilanti. It's really important you and your parent(s) have a full understanding of the surgery, and make sure you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to get a full consultation and understanding of your risks.

Anita Patel, MD

Tuberous breasts and surgery at 15

+1

15 is a bit young, and you may be bertter off waiting until you have stopped growing,. You will need permission from your parents to go for a consultation to be properly evaluate.

Tuberous Breasts and Best Breast Implants for 15 Year Old?

+1

Thank you for the good questions.

In regards to breast implants, there are many pros/cons to consider when making the decision of which to use in your case. Online consultants, without the benefit of direct physical examination, will not be able to do your question justice. In other words, the advice you receive online will not be precise enough.

Having said that, some general words regarding the use of saline versus silicone breast implants may be helpful to you:

The type of implant used may influence the final outcome  of the procedure, especially if a patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue.

Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.

On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.

Again, generally speaking, most patients with constricted/tuberous breasts have a paucity of breast tissue along  the lower poles of the of breasts. In the long term, these patients will be depending on the fullness/roundness of the breast implants to achieve a better shape of the breasts' lower poles. I find that patients who present with constricted/tuberous breasts may feel  the breast implants along the lower poles of the breasts more so than patients who do not start with breast constriction. Therefore, I find myself recommending the use of silicone gel breast implants ( softer, more natural feel) to patients who are starting with  constricted/tuberous breasts.

At your age, there are many issues that need to be considered; again, online consultants will not be able to provide you with precise enough advice.  Generally speaking, if in any doubt, I would suggest that you postpone any breast surgery until you have reached “breast maturity”.

When the time is right, seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation. This selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of your goals will be extremely important.

I hope this, and the attached link, help.

Are Saline Implant Best for Tuberous Breast

+1

At 15 you are quite young to consider the surgery.

That does not mean that you are not a candidate.

Make sure your breasst have reach their final development before you consider the reconstruction.

Even minor changes in the size and the shape of your breasts may compromise the result. A good rule of thumb is for breast shape and size to be stable for at least 2 years prior to surgical correction.

Also keep in mind the your breasts will change with pregnancy or even more so with pregnancy and breast feeding.

The type of implants should be chosen based of the anatomy of of your chest wall and breast. A board certified plastic surgeon should lead you through this fairly complex decision.

Without seeing a picture, it is difficult to give any other advice. Keep in mind that you have other alternatives such as fat injections after appropriate release of the constriction.  A combination of breast implant and fat injection often gives a superior outcome.

Good Luck

David Evdokimow, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breast and Type of Implant

+1

At 15, breast size would have to have been stable for one year before considering operation.  The type of implant matters less than your current anatomy and goals.  Realize that tuberous breast deformity, depending upon where a patient falls in the gamut, may require additional procedures aside from the augmentation to improve look and symmetry. 

Options for tuberous breast surgery

+1

You have many good questions and will definitely need an examination to determine the best possible surgery to correct your breast condition.  Saline may be a good choice if  you have enough soft tissue present to cover the water baggy feel of the implant.  At 15  you are quite young to be considering a breast enhancement.   Select a plastic surgeon in your area for a consultation and review of your options.