Do Breast Expanders Look Natural?

Ok so I've decided to get breast expanders to space out my tuberous breast. I just wanted to know just like breast implants, do breast expanders settle a little and look natural instead of high up? Or do they always stay high up until you actually get breast implants put it? Also, I have only one tuberous breast and I'm having a breast expander put in on the one that is not tuberous. Since I don't have breast cancer or mastectomy, will they drop opposed to having a mastectomy?

Tuberous Breast Solutions

+1

Implants can be placed with a remote valve that allows for postoperative adjustment of size, and they can be very useful for tuberous breasts. Another alternative is to place a tissue expander that is designed to be replaced with a permanent implant, which is how most breast reconstruction is done after mastectomy. In your situation, it should be possible to use a device that allows for postoperative adjustment, with later removal of the valve as a minor procedure under local anesthesia. With a tuberous breast, it is often desirable to overfill the implant for a period, and then remove some fluid. This can give the breast a nice natural shape, and “dropping” of the implant should not be a problem.

Web reference: http://www.drthomasmustoe.com/breast-surgery/

Tissue Expander Looking Natural

+1

The implant that is placed when the tissue expander is removed will look more natural.  The tissue expander, due to the intervals of filling, will be evolving in shape throughout the expansion process.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Breast-Reconstruction-and-Deformity-Correction.php

Do Breast Expanders Look Natural?

+1

Thanks very much for your question.  They can look fairly natural but permanent implants will almost always look more natural.  You can always keep the expanders in for a longer period of time until you feel ready for the final placement of the permanent implants.  Expanders also usually feel significantly firmer compared to the feel of the final implants.  In your specific case you will have the advantage of being able to adjust the expander and hopefully this will give you a reasonable shape that will satisfy both you and your surgeon.   Hope this answers you question.  

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast asymmetry problem

+1

It sounds like you are having a staged reconstruction of your breasts due to asymmetry.  The tissue expander will just be temporary and will not be the exact shape of the final implant.  

Tissue expanders and tuberous breasts

+1

Tissue expanders do not look natural and the final breast implant can look more natural.  Good luck.

Tuberous breast with expanders

+1

Unfortunately tissue expanders don't look very natural - they are a little bit of a different shape and firmer than the final implants.  You will look natural in clothes but not likely out of clothes until your final surgery is done and the implants have settled into their pockets.  Good luck! K. Roxanne Grawe, MD Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Web reference: http://www.roxyplasticsurgery.com

Columbus Plastic Surgeon