Can You Keep Your Under the Muscle Implant and Have One Put over the Muscle? (photo)

I have had implants under the muscle for about 10 years, I am 41 and have lost a lot of volume in my natural breast tissue, nursing and weight loss. My surgeon wants to do a lift on me, I will lose breast size. I would like to increase my breast size and have a full rounded look. Is it possible to have implants put overtop of the muscle while leaving the original ones underneath? What are my options?

No Stacking

+1

Stacking implants is not a wise idea even though it is possible.  A breast lift and breast implant revision/exchange would be more sound. A thorough consultation with physical examination would be needed to confirm the proper surgical plan for you.

“Stacking” Breasts Implants?

+1

I would not suggest “stacking” of breast implants. Removing your current breast implants and reaugmentation with larger breast implants after manipulation of the breast implant pockets will create a much improved situation for you.  Breast lifting may or may not be necessary once this is done.  

Based on your pictures, the breast implants sit high on the chest wall while your breast tissue sits relatively low. Again, it is possible that by lowering the breast implant  pockets and using a larger base breast implant, that no additional surgery will be necessary.

In person consultation  and a full communication of your goals will be necessary to provide  you with definitive advice.

More than one breast implant per breast

+1
While what you suggest is possible, it shouldn't be done. I agree with your surgeon that you do need a lift. You don't have to compromise the size however, as you should have your implant removed and larger, likely higher profile implants used. Look for a board certified plastic surgeon with experience with these procedure.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Implant stacking

+1

If you want more volume then stacking is not a good idea. A larger implant to replace the old one may be the right solution.  Good luck.

Can U Keep An Under Muscle Implant & Have A 2nd One Over Muscle?Answr:

+1

You should not have two implants stacked on top of each other....Really a bad idea...Your implants are probably in a pretty good location...it's just your breast tissue that isn't...I would be inclined to replace your implants, leave them where they are and do a lift of your breast tissue up to meet your implants!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant question

+1

You should run away fast from any doctor who suggests putting another implant on top of the muscle! You have implants that are now too high so they need to be revised. After your nursing and weight loss your breasts are now too low. Looks to me like a lift and augmentation revision is right for you. I usually replace 10 year old implants and often switch to a moderate plus profile design which have a more narrow base diameter and more projection then the implants you probably have and will fit your frame well. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for you consultation.

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Revision augmentation and mastopexy

+1

Although you can surgically do what you suggest,  in general, I doubt if anyone would recommend it. Putting in large implants in the subglandular position while doing a simultaneous lift increases the risk  of healing problems that you do not have to incur. You need a full examination to give a specific recommendation but it seems as if you have a bit of a mismatch between an  implant that is relatively high, and breast tissue that is somewhat sagging. You can simply exchange your current implants for different ones depending on your dimension and size goals, and then do a lift (possibly vertical scar technique) to centralize the nipple and reduce the glandular ptosis or sagging.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD