Is it truly possible to have your spider veins gone in one sclerotherapy treatment?

My doctor spent about an hour on my first treatment, performing many injections on both legs and when all was said and done she said she didn't think I would need any other treatments. I had numerous spider veins on each of legs, including two reticular ones. I have seen on here that people have needed multiple treatments for even just a couple of veins. Is it possible mine could resolve in one session?

Sclerotherapy - 1 or more sessions ?

+1
Sclerotherapy 'success' is multifactorial and depends on:

1) experience, 2) technique (foam or traditional), chemical solution chosen (saline, STS, etc), concentration of chemical used, whether or not adequate compression is used, timing of compression (debated in the literature) and your body's innate abiility to heal (recanalize sclerosed veins). 

Buffalo General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy

+1
Multiple sclerotherapy spider vein treatments are typically necessary to obtain optimal results. 

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Spider vein treatment explained

+1
When you look at your spider veins, what you are really seeing is blood in the veins.  Cosmetic resolution depends on getting the blood out of these veins and preventing it from getting back in.  Once you have a series of veins injected during sclerotherapy it is your body's response to the medication that determines whether the veins go away or not.  After becoming very inflamed, the veins hopefully scar in on themselves preventing any blood from re-entering them.  I usually tell my patients to expect about 80% of the veins we inject to improve and or go away after the first treatment. 

Bottom line, in general expect to require at least one additional round of injections before you get the results you desire.

Tif Siragusa, MD
Nashville General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy

+1
Sclerotherapy for spider veins will usually require multiple sessions to get about 80% improvement.

Samir Shureih MD. FACS
sshureih@msn.com

One treatment not the norm.

+1
The treatment of spider veins is a process and usually requires several sessions.  If one treatment solves your spider vein problem then you are very fortunate.  Most people require 2-3 cycles of treatment and then some maintenance on a 6 month or yearly basis.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon